Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: pillion heights

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Whitefish Bay, WI, 3mi N Milwaukee
    Posts
    1,604

    pillion heights

    What is height from the ground to the top of the rear pillion (highest point) on the:

    1.) F650GS?

    2.) F650CS?

    3.) F800GS?

    thanks in advance.

    happy New Year!
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

  2. #2
    You stupid, fix it! r11rs94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tiverton, RI
    Posts
    5,149
    Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post
    What is height from the ground to the top of the rear pillion (highest point) on the:

    1.) F650GS?

    2.) F650CS?

    3.) F800GS?

    thanks in advance.

    happy New Year!
    1.) very high

    2.) High

    3.) are you frigin kidding me
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Whitefish Bay, WI, 3mi N Milwaukee
    Posts
    1,604

    r11rs94

    Surely you are a .
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

  4. #4
    darcym
    Guest
    Just curious as to why the height of the pillion seat matters?

    I realize I may be ignorant because I almost never ride with a rider. However, as far as I can recall, the instructions to the rider are to NEVER put their feet down unless the bike is stopped and the driver has their feet down.

    The only other issue is whether or not the rider is limber enough to get back there. I've always had the rider get seated after I'm aboard and settled. They can use the peg as a step and my shoulder to steady themselves. I also try not to have a rider who's heavier than me, although I've done that too.

  5. #5
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by darcym View Post
    Just curious as to why the height of the pillion seat matters?

    I realize I may be ignorant because I almost never ride with a rider. However, as far as I can recall, the instructions to the rider are to NEVER put their feet down unless the bike is stopped and the driver has their feet down.

    The only other issue is whether or not the rider is limber enough to get back there. I've always had the rider get seated after I'm aboard and settled. They can use the peg as a step and my shoulder to steady themselves. I also try not to have a rider who's heavier than me, although I've done that too.

    MrsK has a hard time getting her foot up high enough to climb on the back of the GS. Her gear has knee pads and it restricts her leg movement. Once she's up there, she's fine, but climbing on that bike can be a problem.

    She's been climbing on the back of my bikes for 30 years and uses my shoulder as the grip and the footpeg as the step with a dainty pivot to get seated.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  6. #6
    Ahead of my time bigdelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Punta Gorda,Fla
    Posts
    1,100

    I just traded PMs with ultra b4 I saw this thread

    and his concern over the pillion height is for him mounting the bike due to an injury.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Whitefish Bay, WI, 3mi N Milwaukee
    Posts
    1,604

    Thank you, bigdelta...

    I do not wish to dwell on personal injuries, but yes that is true. Combo of sports injuries.

    I am looking for a commuter/city bike.

    The two contenders are now a newer Bonny and a K75.

    The Kawa Versys has a 36.5" pillion height, the BMW F650 (and now by default-the F800GS) according to bigdelta is 37", and the Suz SV650 is about the same. I have no interest in entering a high jumping event every time I mount the bike.

    The scooters do not do anything for me.

    Ride safe bigdelta, and drink only bottled water in Mexico!
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

  8. #8
    Ahead of my time bigdelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Punta Gorda,Fla
    Posts
    1,100

    Good luck in your search

    Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post
    I do not wish to dwell on personal injuries, but yes that is true. Combo of sports injuries.

    I am looking for a commuter/city bike.

    The two contenders are now a newer Bonny and a K75.

    The Kawa Versys has a 36.5" pillion height, the BMW F650 (and now by default-the F800GS) according to bigdelta is 37", and the Suz SV650 is about the same. I have no interest in entering a high jumping event every time I mount the bike.

    The scooters do not do anything for me.

    Ride safe bigdelta, and drink only bottled water in Mexico!
    I had a hip problem a few years back and it was a concern for me too.Mine was a combination of sports injuries and OLD AGE!

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Whitefish Bay, WI, 3mi N Milwaukee
    Posts
    1,604

    bigdelta

    As I tell my clients,
    middle age is 20 year away and old is 30 years away, therefore we are all young people.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

  10. #10
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,680
    The spec sheet on p. 67 of the January ON (from the Milan show press kit) says that the F800GS seat height is 880 mm which is 34.6 inches.

    I haven't seen the bike, and haven't measured, but that is what the spec sheet says.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  11. #11
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    McMinnville Tennessee
    Posts
    219
    I have the f650GS with the factory lowered option; I jut went out and measured, and it's 35.5 inches to the highest point at the extreme rear of the seat . . . the original seat. If yoy ride any distances at all, you most likely will not be keeping that original seat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •