Thread: Cleaning Gas Stains

Cleaning Gas Stains

What is good to use to clean gas stains from the Transmission case? When you "tickle" the carb to start a R27 if always get gas on the trans case and it has caused a stain on mine. Anyone know of a good way to clean it and keep it looking old.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daveripper View Post
    What is good to use to clean gas stains from the Transmission case? When you "tickle" the carb to start a R27 if always get gas on the trans case and it has caused a stain on mine. Anyone know of a good way to clean it and keep it looking old.

Dave
    My favorite two cleaners for the open pore cast aluminum on cases and such are spray carburetor cleaner and WD40. I use Gumout brand spray carb cleaner which seems to get the redish/brownish stains out pretty well, and greasy smears too. Once clean I spray with WD40 and just wipe the excess drips off the edges. The WD40 seems to keep the aluminum looking pretty good, and easier to clean next time.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I agree with Mr.Glaves on the use of either carb cleaner or WD-40. I did a running resto on a '58 R26 from Guatamala that was badly stained and it cleaned up very nicely.

Woodgrain