View Poll Results: What would help influence your decision to attend the National Rally

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great Musical Acts

16 12.31%
  • More of a choice/cheaper Motel/Hotel/B&B's

24 18.46%
  • Closer proximity to quality riding and alternate activities

61 46.92%
  • Less wind

6 4.62%
  • How far I have to ride to get there

61 46.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What helps you to decide whether to attend the National or not

I'm not sure I'll make Gillette this year. While I enjoy the rally and the socializing, I can probably get the same going to smaller rallies and doing some "adventure riding" on my own, or with a small group of friends. I don't have a problem with the distance to Gillette, and the riding directly around the rally area isn't a huge deal for me, either. I didn't do much riding when I was in West Bend, actually (but lots afterwards).

Still, the route from Toledo (assuming I'm still living here in July) to Gillette is 1,289 miles. Lots of flat land between here and there. I also don't know that many of my riding friends are going, so that's a LONG boring ride. Give me some terrain changes and my opinion would probably change. It's not the mileage but the scenery. I see corn fields around here enough, already.

To the original question: Better riding on the way there OR a shorter ride (take your pick) would get me there if I was "on the edge". Possibly good riding companions would work, too.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    Well it certainly is not for the wet t-shirt contest, loud pipes, and alcohol. But I do settle near Camp Beers.
    Well we do have big plans for the upcoming Rally. Anyone seen a golf cart?
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

ontheriver

Wind?

A good laugh in my world as 2 wheels and wind are togetherness....rally location is a consideration occasionally. Vermont and West Bend were a no go due to touring up to Nova Scotia and back down through Wisconsin after the Lima show.
    Wyoming is famous for WIND, some of the highest daily mean windspeed in the US are in this state! After spending many years living in the cowboy state I'll recommend everyone stake the 'ol tent down firmly and tie off those bike covers! The riding is tremendous being at the base of the black hills to the east and the jellystone/motorhome extravaganza to the west. Be sure to look on the map and locate SHELL CANYON, a hidden gem of a road....

Quote Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
    A good laugh in my world as 2 wheels and wind are togetherness....rally location is a consideration occasionally. Vermont and West Bend were a no go due to touring up to Nova Scotia and back down through Wisconsin after the Lima show.
    Wyoming is famous for WIND, some of the highest daily mean windspeed in the US are in this state! After spending many years living in the cowboy state I'll recommend everyone stake the 'ol tent down firmly and tie off those bike covers! The riding is tremendous being at the base of the black hills to the east and the jellystone/motorhome extravaganza to the west. Be sure to look on the map and locate SHELL CANYON, a hidden gem of a road....
    Or Ten Sleep Canyon to its south. Also a gem!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

The usual time thing, with money a slight consideration. I could swing the time for Vermont, but not enough cash to be on the road that long. I don't expect Gilette to be a problem.
    Of course the rally itself is the draw, more so than much anything else. The two I've been to so far are Lima and West Bend. Coming from Dallas, the basic routes to/from were pretty dull- although I managed to add some interesting detours. But once I got to the rally, I didn't have any strong need to go ride- I had so much fun hanging out with friends and doing interesting things onsite.

My advice is that if a trip to the rally is feasible, JUST GO!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

BUBBAZANETTI
    not sure yet, i've been to all of them since i joined in fall of 2004!

i think this year, while possibly still up in the air, is prob not going to happen. depending on what i'm doing for work or travel at that point, i think i'll just be doing something else is all.

but it's usually the people that affect any decision i have to go to a rally, be it, YB, MOA, ADV, Rounders or any other groups, i go for the friends that i only get to see a few times a year!

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Because there are rallies! I go to ride to the rally, to visit old friends and make new ones, volunteer, and ride home. What else is there?
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    Because there are rallies! I go to ride to the rally, to visit old friends and make new ones, volunteer, and ride home. What else is there?
    Hey, Randy-

Looks like the RA did for '08 what I did for '94.......take a "troublemaker" and put him in charge of security!! That way you have to behave yourself
    Seriously, at the RA in the Land of Lakes (yours truly was the chair), we put Skeeter (of all people) in charge of security. His hat even stated RA PD. He didn't have a drop of alcohol all weekend......believe it or not
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

Distance is really all there is to it for me at this point in my life.

Unfortunately Gillette is just a bit too far from Chicago for me. We'll see.

Motel prices are not an issue for me. I like to camp and if I can ever convince the GF to accompany me to one of these things, well, she is even more into camping than I am.

I don't need any particular kinds of roads or riding enroute to or around a rally. Once I get there I don't ride at all - especially once the beer tent is open.

As for the music, it is certainly not a reason to go or not go, but I'm glad that it is there. I don't have much experience having only been to Lima and West Bend, but it seems like a great way to try to present some of the local culture. When I go to a rally I'm pretty much content to stay at the rally the whole time. I'm not gonna traipse into Milwaukee or Cleveland or whatever to see what the regional music might be like. I appreciate having some of it brought out to the rally for us. Even if some of it is inevitably gonna strike some people as cheesy or not to their liking.

Like having regional beers at the rally, which I also very much appreciate.
    Last edited by atoms; 01-09-2008 at 01:51 AM. Reason: forgot stuff

Quote Originally Posted by atoms View Post
    Distance is really all there is to it for me at this point in my life.

Unfortunately Gillette is just a bit too far from Chicago for me. We'll see.
    Too Far?? 1050 miles per Mapquest. Is that the Buell rider or Beemer rider speaking? How's Illinois going to beat Wisconsin in the mileage contest?? (Just kidding) Everyone has time constraints and make choices with their very precious vacation days.

I've been to most of the Nationals in the last 15 years Even with only 2 weeks vacation, my rule of thumb was 1000 miles for a weekend rally. I've stayed at many a National for only a few hours (with no day pass) Fontana and Durango were 2......but then that's just me
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by k75karol View Post
    Too Far?? 1050 miles per Mapquest. Is that the Buell rider or Beemer rider speaking? How's Illinois going to beat Wisconsin in the mileage contest?? (Just kidding)

I have got a secret. Myself, and many other BMW rider's here I know, don't even enter the mileage contest.
    I am thinking 1 day from here, but it wouldn't be a fun one. Two if I want to have more fun. Then there is the time from my wife and home factor, the formula gets quite complicated.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    I resemble that remark! And I'll be sure to keep my eye on you, young lady!
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

DavidBMWRT

Growing roots to the seat

Hahira, Georgia is a long way from Gillete, even for some one who loves riding a motorcycle, but at the risk of sounding like a sissy and boring some of you Iron Butts to death I need to know how you deal with the pain.

1- The area between my shoulders blades catches fire after five or six hours.....
    2- How do you keep from growing roots to the seat? About three hours is all I can stand. Hot, sticky and raw are the words that come to mind

Are there answers for this sort of thing or should I just shut up, grit my teeth and do it?

Quote Originally Posted by k75karol View Post
    ... Even with only 2 weeks vacation, my rule of thumb was 1000 miles for a weekend rally. ...
    I stand in awe. (I assume you mean round trip?)
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBMWRT View Post
    Hahira, Georgia is a long way from Gillete, even for some one who loves riding a motorcycle, but at the risk of sounding like a sissy and boring some of you Iron Butts to death I need to know how you deal with the pain.

1- The area between my shoulders blades catches fire after five or six hours.....
    2- How do you keep from growing roots to the seat? About three hours is all I can stand. Hot, sticky and raw are the words that come to mind

Are there answers for this sort of thing or should I just shut up, grit my teeth and do it?
    The answers are to stop once an hour or so, stretch, drink some fluids, eat a snack and take off again. It doesn't take long to rejuvenate. It's not my back or my backside, but my knees that have an issue. It's amazing how taking a short break with a Gatorade, a Snickers bar and some quick stretches can make you really feel like going again.

Another answer is to put something on your seat, like a sheepskin, airhawk seat pad, or maybe one of those beaded seat thingys. That will help as well.

I can't speak to the shoulder issue. It almost sounds like there's too much weight on your wrists and arms? Bar risers may help?
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia