View Poll Results: What would help influence your decision to attend the National Rally

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great Musical Acts

16 12.31%
  • More of a choice/cheaper Motel/Hotel/B&B's

24 18.46%
  • Closer proximity to quality riding and alternate activities

61 46.92%
  • Less wind

6 4.62%
  • How far I have to ride to get there

61 46.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What helps you to decide whether to attend the National or not

SNOONE

What helps you to decide whether to attend the National or not

I am curious.. If you are on the edge of going or not going to the National, what would influence your decision to go?
    Last edited by snoone; 12-26-2007 at 11:24 PM.

None of the above.

Proximity to my house.

Unfortunately I don't have the time at this stage in my life to travel across the country to a rally.

So if they are within a day or maybe two days ride I try to make it.

Someday that will change.

I agree that total distance from home is the number 1 consideration. I'm only going to travel a long distance, using lots of valuable vacation time, if there's great riding once I get there. Personally, the entertainment/musical acts is not very important. There are other venues to hear great acts with better acoustics, more comfort, etc.
    Dan

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    I agree that total distance from home is the number 1 consideration. I'm only going to travel a long distance, using lots of valuable vacation time, if there's great riding once I get there. Personally, the entertainment/musical acts is not very important. There are other venues to hear great acts with better acoustics, more comfort, etc.
    +1

I seem to go regardless - I have been to every national since Missoula 1 in 1984 except Moodus, when I had changed jobs and had zero vacation - but the only thing that has made a rally a "bad" rally for me is the weather. Heat, or heat and humidity. Second place goes to congestion. If I have to fight my way across the rust belt to get there I may be forced to take the long way around to get there - or not go!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

None of the Above also

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Proximity to my house.

Unfortunately I don't have the time at this stage in my life to travel across the country to a rally.

So if they are within a day or maybe two days ride I try to make it.

Someday that will change.
    It's the Available Time/Distance From Home equation more than anything.

Attended my first (and only) rally in VT, and had a GREAT time! Conveniently, it coincided with my week long trip with non-BMW friends and I attended alone. Volunteered a bunch, attended ERC, did demo rides and met a bunch of MOA and Chromeheads forum members.

Happened to be in a great riding area, camped with Sherpa Ted and enjoyed fantastic entertainment. The "experience" and atmosphere is what will get me back, vendors, displays and seminars. Most important was sharing the cameraderie and fun time with new friends who will be old friends next time.

Looking forward to attending my next one. Unfortunately, it won't be in 2008.

Definitely enjoyed the major musical lineup and support their future! Great job Freidle!

Hi Snoone, see you tomorrow at the Big GIG!
    Last edited by bobs98; 12-29-2007 at 07:38 PM.
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III

My personal "poll" list would include:

Good camping area with shade?
    Good seminar facilities?
    On-site dealer services?
    Good variety of quality inexpensive on-site food?
    Good restaurants nearby?

If the poll that started this thread had the key 10 or 15 things that different people are looking for in a rally then it might prove useful for decision making and site selection. But narrowly drawn as it is, all it is going to do is "prove" that riding is more important for a rally than music. Big whoop! If we didn't know that, we could all take the bus on down to the state fair when the state has a state fair and see real acts. Or go to the symphony. Or the closest bluegrass festival.

As for "wind." Of course the great plains and coastal areas are windy. So lets all go to the crammed and jammed and congested dreary little places with tall trees and 45 mph speed limits on the 2 lane roads, and towns spaced every 3 miles. Makes for great riding there without wind. Yessiree!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post

I agree 100%
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

USERNAME
    snoone - i can add choices to the poll if you like, such as the one reflected strongly here - "proximity to home."

lemme know.

SNOONE
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    snoone - i can add choices to the poll if you like, such as the one reflected strongly here - "proximity to home."

lemme know.
    Please do!!

I would love to ride out to Wyoming, but the time and expense to get there from Upstate NY would be too much. I only get two weeks off a year!

My first rally was in VT as well and my wife and I had a great time.

We'll go again someday.
    http://www.monksvoice.com

I could be the voice you're hearing.

Mongo
    I have to be able to do it in a week. Other than that, the people make the event. The rest is gravy.

Pole

1. One persons Great Musical Act is anothers HORRIFIC NIGHTMARE!
    2. N/A. I tent.
    3. What is Qaulity Riding? And why is proximity to anything so important?
    My Dad used to say,"We're here, now go find somethin' to do
    or I'll smack ya." In other words, go experience what THIS place has to
    offer. You may never get another chance.
    4. 90 degrees, cloudless sky, gimme a breeze. Rain,Hale and Tornadoes,
    Gimme Shelter.

Hope to see you there.

USERNAME
    Quote Originally Posted by snoone View Post
    Please do!!
    done.

Moto-Camper

Rally

Okay,

Assuming the rally is not held in the snow, I guess the deciding factors for me in order of importance:

1. Location If I have to ride too far for the rally, it would probably not make my list. As
    an example, I live in Ohio, USUALLY, I would not attend the rally if it were
    held in California (but who knows)

2. Cost If I have to pay $200 a night for a cheap motel, probably not. I like to
    camp, but the fiance doesn't. If you're married, you know how it is.

3. Riding If the rally is in a flat, boring location, nix

4. Weather If the rally is held in an area of terrible weather, nope. Like Death Valley in
    the summer. The rally is supposed to be fun, not a chore.

There you have it.....
    Last edited by apopj; 02-06-2008 at 03:03 AM.