Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2004 Rally

Have you ever been there in July?

But, it's a dry heat!
    Tina Swider
    Sled Dog Touring Team
    Any bike I want that is in the garage

Originally posted by KBasa
    DuQuoin, Oshkosh, Midland, Fredricksburg.......

You go to any of those? They sound like the middle of the country to me.

Nope. Started riding again in 1999. Wish I went to Midland.

Mark F
    MarkF

Yeah, it's a dry heat till my butt hits that black leather seat or the black gas tank. Then it's just heat. That's why I didn't go to the RA rally last year. OOPS, I didn't say that.

Unregistered

Question Choosing a Rally Site

I don't get the secrecy in picking a rally site. Doesn't this club belong to its members?

Maybe if there was more member input, we wouldn't be camping on a college campus a mile and a half away and paying three bucks to park at the event center. Perhaps if Charleston thought we might go to another WV college town, a dorm stay wouldn't cost $45 ( ! ) a night.

That's my 2 cents.

Hope to see you all at FourWinds in August and Birmingham in October.

Ride safe.

Terry Boots
    Pittsburgh, PA

Arizona

Tina - I have been there in mid-summer and it is VERY hot. But the Flagstaff area is much cooler.

Just my .02c worth!

Hope to meet many of you in Charleston!

:fish
    Rick Guffey
    '02 K1200LT "Scotti"
    Ringgold, GA
    guffey@catt.com

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Re: Choosing a Rally Site

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I don't get the secrecy in picking a rally site. Doesn't this club belong to its members?

Maybe if there was more member input, we wouldn't be camping on a college campus a mile and a half away and paying three bucks to park at the event center. Perhaps if Charleston thought we might go to another WV college town, a dorm stay wouldn't cost $45 ( ! ) a night.

That's my 2 cents.

Hope to see you all at FourWinds in August and Birmingham in October.

Ride safe.

Terry Boots
    Pittsburgh, PA

Hello Terry,

I think you are missing the point here. There is no secrecy involved in picking MOA National Rally sites. It is our members input that directs the Rally site and selection committee where to look. If you go back to page 1 of this thread to my post of 4-21-2003 01:46 PM you will find some of the criteria we are asking our 39,000 plus members to look for to help find appropriate Rally sites for future use.

If you read more of the Rally Forum threads you will also discover that the U of C is only one camping choice. There is another camping area that is about a four block walk to the Civic Center if you choose to stay there. If you don't like either of those two choices, then there is a third choice as well.

As for the dorms, there is a thread about them as well. I have already said that the BMW MOA has nothing to do with the reservations or rates for the U of C dorm rooms. There are many motels nearby the U of C that charge less than the U of C wants for a dorm room. If that is what the U of C thinks their dorm rooms are worth, after we have already said past experience shows that about half that rate is reasonable, our members will stay make their own financial decision about whether or not to stay at the dorms.

Come to or stay away from Charleston in July. It is your choice, but if you skip Charleston I can tell you now that you will miss one hell of a good International Rally. Hope to see you there.
    Ride fast safely

Rally parking, was choosing a rally site

Terry,

We have arranged for free parking at the rally site, where did the $3 come from?

Josh Ascher

Unregistered

parking

didn't i see that parking at the civic center was (by law or something) three bucks a bike?

and is the free parking the 6th floor of the mall parking garage across the street?

tb

Josh, Mike said it was $3 in this thread:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...=&threadid=221
    Tina Swider
    Sled Dog Touring Team
    Any bike I want that is in the garage

Civic center parking

I guess what I meant is that we have arranged for free parking across the street that requires a wristband to enter the parking area, No others will be allowed in there. There is parking for $3 next door to the civic center, that might be considered closer. This is a public parking facility that anyone can use (open to the public), but we have not arranged any security for that area and it is not part of the rally planning. of course it is there and I assume that anyone could use it if that were their preference. My point was that there is free, secure rally parking across the street from the civic center arranged by the rally chairs. There is enough space to hold everyone's BMW all at once.