Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 91

Thread: Don't let this happen to the memory of Mr. Christ

  1. #61
    buckeyeclark
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffMiller View Post
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone
    Wow....yeah thats great......are we talking about all sin? So like if I stole a roll of Life Savers or maybe told a lie then I shouldn't be able to toss a couple stones at someone who let's say got drunk and murdered someone's father/brother/son/friend?
    I realize that point is ridiculous; however, if that would have been my dad, or my, brother, or my son.....would a year's time with work release and some probation be what I was hoping for? Would I feel like....okay now we are even? That will really teach her? Are you ****ting me??????????? Mr. Christ will never walk back through his front door again....This criminal...this murderer... got a slap on the wrist at best! Simply pathetic!

  2. #62
    535IS
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    It is strange that no deal was made with the prosecutor.
    Yes; it is a little unusual. This might indicate that our input, with Mr. Cabranes' help, convinced him not to make a deal. That would be a good thing, at least in this case.
    Yet the Judge did go light for the crime that she plead guilty to. And I always felt that when you plead guilty you always make a deal. Maybe she did with the judge.
    No. At least, not legally. The judge had two opposing viewpoints and had to make the decision. This does not appear to be any kind of deal. The sentence is fairly unusual in some of its terms dealing with Christ's family; and I like those terms. They will serve as a constant reminder to her - especially if there's another 10 years hanging in the balance. IME, it is fairly easy to get your probation revoked if you aren't completely in compliance with the terms. The Department of Corrections will be watching her; she will have regular monthly reporting requirements; others may also be watching. F'rinstance, if an MOA member who knows about this affair should casually happen to see Darcy knocking back a few in a local bar 5 years from now and said MOA member drops a dime on her to her Probation Officer, she could do those 10 years for violating her "absolute sobriety" requirement. IOW, unless she's a complete idiot, her drinking days are over until she's over the hill.
    Sad, that is all I feel.
    At least here (in the state), we can try to make more come out of this. Normally, I am opposed to almost anything that some of my local legislative representatives do, but they are currently proposing increased penalties for drunken driving offenses and our (former prosecutor) governor also supports them. I fully support this bipartisan initiative.

  3. #63
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    546
    Well Mr. Buckeye, I am sure glad that you have lived a perfectly pure life up to this point! Never had a cocktail before driving? Atta boy! Never chat on the ol' cell phone? Great! I'm sure that you have spent the time and money to get yourself trained as a professional driver before hitting the highway.
    No, what happened is a sad thing for all parties. I find it strange that people get their panties in a bunch yet don't give a rat's ass about people who get killed in other situations. What would you propose to do with this woman? Stoning? She messed up. She needs help. I would guess that she is probably beating herself up more than you could possibly do. Don't be so quick to judge. We are all one mistake away from a similar situation.

  4. #64
    buckeyeclark
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffMiller View Post
    Well Mr. Buckeye, I am sure glad that you have lived a perfectly pure life up to this point! Never had a cocktail before driving? Atta boy! Never chat on the ol' cell phone? Great! I'm sure that you have spent the time and money to get yourself trained as a professional driver before hitting the highway.
    No, what happened is a sad thing for all parties. I find it strange that people get their panties in a bunch yet don't give a rat's ass about people who get killed in other situations. What would you propose to do with this woman? Stoning? She messed up. She needs help. I would guess that she is probably beating herself up more than you could possibly do. Don't be so quick to judge. We are all one mistake away from a similar situation.
    You are right......everyone who is found guilty of causing the death of another person should spend less than 1 year actual prison time. That is long enough right? Plus they are beating themselves up already so maybe just an hour sitting in the corner would do the trick?
    I find it strange that you are getting your panties in an uproar about how this poor, could have happened to anyone who has ever taken a drink, just in the wrong place at the wrong time, unfortunate in need of help, girl is being talked about. Do you honestly believe that she got a deserving sentence from the Judge? Really do you? Are you also saying that if I have ever taken a drink and then drove or talked on a cell phone that I am also somehow partially responsible? That maybe what happened is not really all that bad because we all have done all of the ingredients except the actual killing part?

  5. #65
    Seeking Mental Floss
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    2,997
    This is hot-button issue, and we all should probably take a deep breath. In my line of work (medicine) I often see the totality of these types of tragedies which the courts may not see. Lives are often ruined on all sides of these situations. No punishment can bring back the lives lost, no restitution can be considered adequate. Short of "an eye for an eye", what do civilized folks do? I think BuckeyeClark is simply trying to say what many of us might feel, and that is "there but for the grace of God go I". Maybe that does not apply to some....although I find that hard to believe.

    Lawyers who are familiar with procedure have suggested the sentence is the best we can hope for. At least she did not walk away clean like a certain recent government official. Would that these things never happened at all. Thoughts and prayers for the futures of all the families and friends negatively impacted by this thoughtless act.

  6. #66
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,493
    Quote Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
    This is hot-button issue, and we all should probably take a deep breath. In my line of work (medicine) I often see the totality of these types of tragedies which the courts may not see. Lives are often ruined on all sides of these situations. No punishment can bring back the lives lost, no restitution can be considered adequate. Short of "an eye for an eye", what do civilized folks do? I think BuckeyeClark is simply trying to say what many of us might feel, and that is "there but for the grace of God go I". Maybe that does not apply to some....although I find that hard to believe.

    Lawyers who are familiar with procedure have suggested the sentence is the best we can hope for. At least she did not walk away clean like a certain recent government official. Would that these things never happened at all. Thoughts and prayers for the futures of all the families and friends negatively impacted by this thoughtless act.
    Very well said.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

  7. #67
    LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND..
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Buffalo Grove IL
    Posts
    751
    I feel sick. I would assume that others feel the same, no matter what side of the issue you stand.(on punishment)

  8. #68
    Rally Rat Sue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    2,009

    Newspaper article today - 15 months later

    From today's Milwaukee Journal - here is an article about Daniel Christ and the accident last summer that took his life.

    http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/33677264.html
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Director - Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

  9. #69
    cheesewhiz
    Guest
    Thanks for the update Sue.

    Such a waste.


  10. #70
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oakville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    368

    Daniel

    God, what a loss of a good man !

  11. #71
    BMW MOV Muriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    White River Jct, VT
    Posts
    793
    Thanks for sharing, Sue. That was an excellent article, not only pointing out the inequities in the law, but also and most importantly describing what a great person Mr. Christ was.

    Despite a one-year jail term (vs longer), it does appear that the drunk driver will be challenged to live within her parole conditions.

    Muriel
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin
    Running on One Cylinder - except when running on two

  12. #72
    Locksmith Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Calera, Alabama
    Posts
    154
    Thankfully, we can expect her to screw up when she gets out. Maybe then she will get a proper sentence.

  13. #73
    535IS
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceydog View Post
    Thankfully, we can expect her to screw up when she gets out. Maybe then she will get a proper sentence.
    When she does, I'll know. I have the Wisconsin courts website page for her case on RSS feed.

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin and Florida
    Posts
    375
    ------------Sentence Was---------------------------
    15 yrs DOC, 10 yr IC & 5 yr - imposed and stayed
    15 yrs p&p
    1yr DCJ consec w/h&t **no GPS**
    Shall pay up to 25% of counseling fees not covered by insurance for victim's son until he turns 18
    AODA/VIP
    5 yr rev/IID
    Absolute sobriety
    DNA Sample
    not less than 100 hrs Community service each year at high schools, junior highs or VIP panels
    ======================
    shall maintain full time employment
    =====================
    shall pay tuition/books/room & board for victim's son for 1 semester each year for 4 years at the University of Iowa; held open for 8 yrs when victim's son graduates from High school
    costs
    shall receive 1 day presentence credit should supervision be revoked
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Do we have any members who can confirm this murderer is still employed?

  15. #75
    Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    the State Ptomaine
    Posts
    885
    Why am I underwhelmed at the sentence?

    Clearly, I am the problem here.
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •