Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 12/8/07

SNC1923

Feedback II

Ill-disguised effort to show of your bike? I'd say more "blatant." And I admire you for it, as there's no one worse than I for taking pictures to show off my bike. Well done, sir, I tip my hat to you. (Note: golden mean composition)

MLS2GO is on board this week with a couple of beauties. The first one--which I shall call "orange"--is a neat shot if only for the fact that I have no idea what it is. And I don't think he's told us yet. What a tease. It may be a frozen something, perhaps a texture coating or concrete. . . . I really have no idea. It's an interesting and seemingly natural pattern with a really interesting texture. I note that there is a lot of light falloff in the corners. Taken with a flash? That happens with some built-in flashes sometimes.

The second shot is even more interesting, as it is clearly not natural and rigidly symmetrical nearly to the point of infinity. When asked to guess I dismissed the notion that it might be a screen, but apparently that's what it is. I don't really do snow or freezing, so what do I know? I really like close-ups and this one is very effective.

JohnF is one of our regulars who is emerging with a certain style. His shots always exude some sort of humor, whether in the title or subject matter or what have you. I don't know why, but this strikes me as funny--a self-conscious and perhaps contrived interpretation, and a successful one. I like the staging of the football and helmet. I don't read football plays, but I assume it's accurate based on the discussion that ensued. One of the indicators of a photo's success is how much conversation it generates. Fun shot. Gayle Sayers? Inflate that thing and put it under glass, for crying out loud.

WMUBrown brought us another little bit of inspiration in this shot. I was surprised that you want all the way to "bulb" to shoot this (the "bulb" setting holds the shutter open as long as you depress the shutter release, seconds or even minutes are possible). Nonetheless, it's clever and I like it. The firing of the flash is what eventually gives some solid state to the subject, albeit semi-transparent. Many newer mid- to high-end cameras give you the option for a "rear-curtain sync." This causes the flash to fire just before the shutter closes, as opposed to immediately upon the shutter opening. This is so the trails of the long exposure seem to emanate from the subject rather than precede it. As it stands this is a really interesting image. I've been kicking around the idea of having an assignment with motion as a component. You've given me something to cogitate on.

Not to be outdone, GrossJohann returns with his own tree shot. This is an interesting and intricate pattern with a ghostly, ethereal feel. Normally, over-exposure is a problem (as these lights clearly are) but here the effect is really nice. It renders that sort of fuzzy, gee-I-may-had-too-much-egg-nog sort of quality. Frankly, it looks very much like one of many Christmas cards that you can buy. Nice.

Voni's submission this week is a really nice photo. Filled with patterns, not the least of which is the intricate adobe bricks, it's also a masterful composition. By offering us just a part of the church, it forces the eye to focus on the detail of the brick rather than the entirety of the structure. The brush, mountains, and sky form a perfect rule-of-thirds. The wispy clouds are nice against the azure sky. I really like this shot. It reveals thought on the part of the photographer. I often remark that a photo is a "snap shot." This one doesn't come off at all like that. 250 bonus points on general principle.

Is it just me, or is this bloke scary? And why is he walking around the MGM with a target? An interesting shot, especially in it interpretation of the theme, which Burnzilla found after the fact, even cooler still. In terms of posing--which I'm not always great at--he's pulling away from the target. I want him to lean in. I'm sure you didn't have a lot of time to discuss it. 100 bonus points for photographing a random stranger.

I really like this simple composition from Rapid-Roy. Maybe it's a picture of an iron candle holder, but I think it's a picture of shadows. The extreme angle of the source light adds so much interest to this shot. To be picky, I would have shifted the camera ever-so-slightly to the left, trying to make even the margins of the right-most candle and the left-most shadow. It's a minor detail but they often make the most difference.

I'm assuming your wife would have shot you, but imagine this photo with the votives lit. Of course then the temptation would have been to turn down the source light which may have eliminated your shadows, making this an entirely different photo. The one you took is great.

I love all three of kbasa's submissions this week. I struggled with numbers 1 and 3 in terms of which I preferred. Bluestune points out something I completely overlooked which is the red reflection in the chrome. That, set against the beautifully blurred blue background is what makes this such a compelling image. Again, what we have here is not a photo of a thing, but a photo of light and texture and shapes. It forces the viewer to think or play with possibilities. It's challenging in that respect. I like a photo that challenges me as a viewer.

On the one hand, simply a picture of hanging art. On the other hand, the compositional decision is what makes this so intriguing. The round form, the colors and textures, play so well against the vertical lines on which they rest--especially given the neutral color. It's a neat image--puts me in mind of tie-dye for some reason.

What a great and interesting crop of photos this week. I really enjoyed them. It appears that our assignments are impacting the way in which we are taking pictures, forcing us to think and try new things. I know that it's having that effect on me, at least.

Next week's assignment will be a "special" of sorts. It will be seasonal and will allow those of us whose riding season has gone into hibernation to get back to thinking "motorcycle." It'll be up in less than 24, so watch for it!

Thanks for another fun week!

And thank you!

I learn so much from the detail your eye sees in each picture that isn't apparent at first glance. Or even second!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post

MLS2GO is on board this week with a couple of beauties. The first one--which I shall call "orange"--is a neat shot if only for the fact that I have no idea what it is. And I don't think he's told us yet. What a tease. It may be a frozen something, perhaps a texture coating or concrete. . . . I really have no idea. It's an interesting and seemingly natural pattern with a really interesting texture. I note that there is a lot of light falloff in the corners. Taken with a flash? That happens with some built-in flashes sometimes.

See now, I thought the light fall off was due to the object (what ever it is) being round, seems like the focus gets softer in the corners as well. Be curious to know what it was myself.

RM

Quote Originally Posted by lamble View Post
    It's a chair!

Here I was thinking BMW had a new line of fetching red lederhosen with metal armour attachments, for that authentic Bavarian look!

Now I know it's a chair, I'll have to revise my Christmas wish list.
    It's a Bertoia Diamond Lounge Chair with an Orange pad, actually. They're made by Knoll. During the summer, we keep them on the back patio. In the winter, they go in the atrium as mounts for /2 admiration.

I'm a total furniture geek, at least for the modern stuff. The antique stuff doesn't do a thing for me.

More info: http://www.knoll.com/products/product.jsp?prod_id=62
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Oh - and lest I be thought rude, a big thank you to Tom for keeping this rolling and all the folks that contribute here. I almost see a camera club forming within the MOA here.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    BMW MOA Camera Club sounds great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I propose we use a camera lens cover with a rondel for the Camera Club logo. Please check with the fashion police in the Fatherland because that would look cool. We could make Tom our leader ! Would we use terms as Director, Producer, Gripper and Best Boy/ Girl instead of Grand Wizard, Poopah, or flash ?

Sounds great lets start the year off with a snap. Lets blanket the video iRiders into the mix...................it is snowing here and I am starting to think inside things BMW..........................Hey we could call ourselves iRiders ?
    EyeRiders.

Our motto: Let's go for a ride and make it snappy!

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

RandallIsland
    Thanks Tom!
    I'm sorry the flowers didn't meet the snuff, for review, but thank you!
    It's always nice to read through these submissions and feedback. Fun stuff!

I really like this simple composition from Rapid-Roy. Maybe it's a picture of an iron candle holder, but I think it's a picture of shadows. The extreme angle of the source light adds so much interest to this shot. To be picky, I would have shifted the camera ever-so-slightly to the left, trying to make even the margins of the right-most candle and the left-most shadow. It's a minor detail but they often make the most difference.
    Yep, the pattern of the shadows is what caught my eye. You are amazing Tom.
    Thank you. I wasn't going to submit anything this week, I wasn't happy with most of the shots I took. I am no Kbasa.
    I may try that and see how it turns out lighted, and at a different angle.

There is a clue in this picture about why my wife found this in the clearance section. Bonus points to anybody who picks it up. Hint: it's in the shadows
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    Oh - and lest I be thought rude, a big thank you to Tom for keeping this rolling and all the folks that contribute here. I almost see a camera club forming within the MOA here.
    Oddly (or not) enough I had been thinking that maybe a photography forum might not be a bad idea. Certainly there seems to be a developing interest in sharing photograph and the discussion of such. And too for many photography and riding seem to go hand in hand.

On the local clubs forum we started an "Impressions" area for sharing photo's that were not by ncessarily motorcycle related, though many were taken during a ride.

On the LT forum they also have a photography forum. With the on going assignments here having a place for them might be nice and would make them easier to find. I’ve spent some time going back though ones I missed and have learned a few new things as a result.

Perhaps having it broken down into several sections.

1. Photo assignments
    2. Impressions (where folks could share photos they have taken other than ride reports) and maybe even asking for opinions on a certain shot.
    3. Tricks and Tips, for sharing ideas, things you have learned etc.

While I know there are plenty of other forums for photography and such, it still seems that on here, esp. one of a more informal nature might be a good idea. I know from several others I'm on it can sometimes be a little daunting when there are many members who are either pro, semi-pro or advanced amaturs. Perhaps too it would attract some new faces and maybe get more folks involved with the ongoing threads. Keeping it informal might makes folks who might not otherwise post, more comfortable with giving it (photography) a try, or just posting pics, either from a ride or otherwise. Just a thought.

RM

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Oddly (or not) enough I had been thinking that maybe a photography forum might not be a bad idea. Certainly there seems to be a developing interest in sharing photograph and the discussion of such. And too for many photography and riding seem to go hand in hand.

On the local clubs forum we started an "Impressions" area for sharing photo's that were not by ncessarily motorcycle related, though many were taken during a ride.

On the LT forum they also have a photography forum. With the on going assignments here having a place for them might be nice and would make them easier to find. IÔÇÖve spent some time going back though ones I missed and have learned a few new things as a result.

Perhaps having it broken down into several sections.

1. Photo assignments
    2. Impressions (where folks could share photos they have taken other than ride reports) and maybe even asking for opinions on a certain shot.
    3. Tricks and Tips, for sharing ideas, things you have learned etc.

While I know there are plenty of other forums for photography and such, it still seems that on here, esp. one of a more informal nature might be a good idea. I know from several others I'm on it can sometimes be a little daunting when there are many members who are either pro, semi-pro or advanced amaturs. Perhaps too it would attract some new faces and maybe get more folks involved with the ongoing threads. Keeping it informal might makes folks who might not otherwise post, more comfortable with giving it (photography) a try, or just posting pics, either from a ride or otherwise. Just a thought.

RM
    Good thoughts. I've been a Dgrin member forever, but I've only got so much bandwidth. A photography forum would be fantastic. With a little tuning over the winter, I bet we'd see some pretty amazing ride reports next summer.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Orange thing Rocketman is right

Your supposition that is round is correct, softness of focus rather than light. I will post a picture of it in it's entirety tonight, but it will be later tonight when I get home. Thanks for all the guesses.
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by MLS2GO View Post
    Your supposition that is round is correct, softness of focus rather than light. I will post a picture of it in it's entirety tonight, but it will be later tonight when I get home. Thanks for all the guesses.
    Good call, RM. I missed it. But there is light fall off as well as reduced depth of focus. Things farther are darker, generally.

Can't wait to find out what it is.

All this talk of a photography forum is gettin' me excited. Don't tease me now. . . .

I vote for Kbasa's name and motto. Mmmmmm. . . . Punny. . . .

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    There is a clue in this picture about why my wife found this in the clearance section. Bonus points to anybody who picks it up. Hint: it's in the shadows

Irregular votive holder in position number 4? (from the left)

rocketman
    Good call, RM. I missed it. But there is light fall off as well as reduced depth of focus. Things farther are darker, generally.

Can't wait to find out what it is.

All this talk of a photography forum is gettin' me excited. Don't tease me now. . . .

I vote for Kbasa's name and motto. Mmmmmm. . . . Punny. . . .

i'm actually quite serious, but have no clue how one goes about forwarding the idea...

if only we had someone here who knows someone on the board or something....

RM

rocketman

Irregular votive holder in position number 4? (from the left)

Hmmmm, i was going to say number four (from the left) as well, but didn't you first say number 5, or am I going wacko (don't answer that!)

Shaddow of loop is pointed the opposite way as the others and the glass is maybe not as well made or otherwise differant since the rim seems to have of bumpieness. though with glass such imperfections are not unusual, esp if it is older or hand made.

RM