Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 12/8/07

I think Tom ands RM nailed it. The hook was bent the wrong way on the 4th one from the left.
    You can see it in the shadows. *Note to self Do not try and fool Tom, he has sharp eyes. Still try and fool RM though, just because*
    My clue was too good wasn't it?
    Last edited by Rapid_Roy; 12-13-2007 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added comments
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    I think Tom ands RM nailed it. The hook was bent the wrong way on the 4th one from the left.
    You can see it in the shadows. *Note to self Do not try and fool Tom, he has sharp eyes. Still try and fool RM though, just because*
    ha... I had posted the same answer and then thought ... I don't really know what a votive is... so I deleted and went to look it up. Damn... there's never a shortage of things to learn here! -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Hmmmm, i was going to say number four (from the left) as well, but didn't you first say number 5, or am I going wacko (don't answer that!)

Shaddow of loop is pointed the opposite way as the others and the glass is maybe not as well made or otherwise differant since the rim seems to have of bumpieness. though with glass such imperfections are not unusual, esp if it is older or hand made.

RM
    RM got it, not me. I noticed the hook going in the different direction, but I didn't think it as an imperfection. To be honest, by "votive holder" I meant the glass.

Grew up Catholic. I lit a thousand votive candles.

RM: You are not going crazy. I DID say five and went back and edited it.

note to self: it would be fiendishly easy to make RM think he's losing his mind. . . . from now on immediately alter all replies just slightly.

franze

My two francs

I think the crew is worried on you getting burned out. I suggest you make the assignment and everybody sticks to the rules ( I found that Titling or is it Titleing) the photo was both fun and made me think............ Everybody self-edits there weekend masterpieces and submits one photo to the "Assignment" thread. In addition to the Assignment there is a companion thread of the same topic called "Gallery" Here is where we can post our other masterpieces and frolic about with comments regarding our fellow submitters ( uh, that's a word, ain't it?) work. You can peruse the gallery and add pictures from there to your critiques when they illustrate techniques that we can learn from.

Oh, that's not a cat in "Good boy" that is a person walking their dog inside the mall. It's the upper level of a staircase I was on. I saw this exact image, went the 5 minutes back to my house to retrieve my camera, and lurked on the landing waiting for another shopper to parade their dog inside the mall as for the Swiss and the French walking dogs inside malls and restaurants is a "pattern".

rocketman
    Boy are you in for it now!

RM

(not sure how, but I'll think of something, well given enough time anyway!)

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    RM got it, not me. I noticed the hook going in the different direction, but I didn't think it as an imperfection. To be honest, by "votive holder" I meant the glass.

Grew up Catholic. I lit a thousand votive candles.

RM: You are not going crazy. I DID say five and went back and edited it.

[SIZE="1"]note to self: it would be fiendishly easy to make RM think he's losing his mind. . . . from now on immediately alter all replies just slightly.[/SIZE]
    I HEARD THAT!! Believe me I don't need any help in that dept. thank you very much.

RM

(something to do with surviving the 60's and 70's, I think???)

If I can't make it, I'll send a picture with Hodag.
    Here is my pattern.
    Well obviously there's the hook facing the wrong way on votive 4, but isn't the real error a taupe wall colour with a black decoration, where the main metal elements are not barley sugar twist with a blue and lime wash distressed effect, and that glass, well let's just say it's not cut glass Waterford is it?

I must stop looking at Mrs L's magazines!

Quote Originally Posted by lamble View Post
    Well obviously there's the hook facing the wrong way on votive 4, but isn't the real error a taupe wall colour with a black decoration, where the main metal elements are not barley sugar twist with a blue and lime wash distressed effect, and that glass, well let's just say it's not cut glass Waterford is it?

I must stop looking at Mrs L's magazines!
    No, I must wash the wall. It's white.

Don't you dare malign that, we paid 6 dollars for it.
    What you are really saying is I should stop letting my wife go shopping alone. That is where she is right now!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Boy are you in for it now!

RM

(not sure how, but I'll think of something, well given enough time anyway!)
    Sorry. I feel you are a kindred spirit.

I am worried about hurting myself laughing should we ever meet in person. It's a good thing.

No, I must wash the wall. It's white.

Don't you dare malign that, we paid 6 dollars for it.
    What you are really saying is I should stop letting my wife go shopping alone. That is where she is right now!
    Women and scented candles? Where in the evolutionary calendar did those two converge?

Mrs L, can rarely take a bath, without first bedecking the bathroom like a saint's shrine. And all those years striving for electricity...wasted!

White you say. I'll give you eggshell...now I'm frightening myself!

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by lamble View Post
    Women and scented candles? Where in the evolutionary calendar did those two converge?

Mrs L, can rarely take a bath, without first bedecking the bathroom like a saint's shrine. And all those years striving for electricity...wasted!

White you say. I'll give you eggshell...now I'm frightening myself!
    Oh, god, I'm going to hurt myself if this insanity keeps up!

Please Tom, save us all and post the next challenge! Ha Ha!

RM

The orange thing revealed

This is a gazing ball in our front yard. The base is an antique from a long closed Downtown Kansas City MO Department Store Harzfeld's. We have the original ball, but the one you see is a new one. I took the shot hand held looking straight down at the top of the ball on an overcast day. Thanks for playing along.

Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by MLS2GO View Post
    This is a gazing ball in our front yard. The base is an antique from a long closed Downtown Kansas City MO Department Store Harzfeld's. We have the original ball, but the one you see is a new one. I took the shot hand held looking straight down at the top of the ball on an overcast day. Thanks for playing along.

We also have a gazing ball in our yard and I have been thinking of trying a Escher type photo using it based on his hand holding the ball showing his reflection. With the addition of the snow/frost on top that could be a lot fun. If you're unfamiliar with the print of which I speak it is this one

I've tried my hand at a simple sketch based on this, it is amazingly difficult to get the proportions correct.

RM

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by franze View Post
    I think the crew is worried on you getting burned out. I suggest you make the assignment and everybody sticks to the rules ( I found that Titling or is it Titleing) the photo was both fun and made me think............ Everybody self-edits there weekend masterpieces and submits one photo to the "Assignment" thread. In addition to the Assignment there is a companion thread of the same topic called "Gallery" Here is where we can post our other masterpieces and frolic about with comments regarding our fellow submitters ( uh, that's a word, ain't it?) work. You can peruse the gallery and add pictures from there to your critiques when they illustrate techniques that we can learn from.

Oh, that's not a cat in "Good boy" that is a person walking their dog inside the mall. It's the upper level of a staircase I was on. I saw this exact image, went the 5 minutes back to my house to retrieve my camera, and lurked on the landing waiting for another shopper to parade their dog inside the mall as for the Swiss and the French walking dogs inside malls and restaurants is a "pattern".
    Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner.

This is very thoughtful and I appreciate how many people seem to be concerned about the workload on these threads. I think your ideas are quite good. We had the "anarchy" threads for a while. . . . Not sure why those fell by the wayside. I think a given assignment seems to be a single conversation and perhaps we are reluctant to split it in two.

Rocketman has thrown a proposal out to the web team about having our own photography home. Maybe one would take care of the other. I've been kicking around a number of ideas for the assignment threads, some or none of which could be implemented with the new year. It would be simple enough for me to set up a "Gallery" thread with each assignment. I guess I just want to hear what others think. There's more than a handful of regulars who have a vested interest. What do you all think about having a Gallery/Anarchy thread for each assignment?

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner.

This is very thoughtful and I appreciate how many people seem to be concerned about the workload on these threads. I think your ideas are quite good. We had the "anarchy" threads for a while. . . . Not sure why those fell by the wayside. I think a given assignment seems to be a single conversation and perhaps we are reluctant to split it in two.

Rocketman has thrown a proposal out to the web team about having our own photography home. Maybe one would take care of the other. I've been kicking around a number of ideas for the assignment threads, some or none of which could be implemented with the new year. It would be simple enough for me to set up a "Gallery" thread with each assignment. I guess I just want to hear what others think. There's more than a handful of regulars who have a vested interest. What do you all think about having a Gallery/Anarchy thread for each assignment?

Well being the photo post whore I am quite naturally I think its a great idea! Of course then I'm going to have pick and choose my shots for the main thread more carefully (oddly enough the one that folks liked best from my last set was the one I had the most doubts about, ) which really might again be another way to learn about the work you submit. If there was a parallel thread or gallery then you could always add comments there, such my fellings above, and in so doing still get some feed back. here again, as you get to "know" your audience you learn something, that ability is also a part of photography. Which is not to say that should be the main factor by any means, but rather it is just another skill. As you share your work, you will come to know better what is most likely to please the individual/group with which you wish to share those images.

RM