Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 09 Site Idea

t-town

i have actually nosed around.... no shortage of grass, a tad short on exhibit space, potential issues with beer, in terms of not being able to sell it ourselves.

i've had it on my list to get some clarifications about the facility.

the riding around this area is very nice... but it is a tad hot in july.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Track days are nice but I'd avoid NASCAR tracks since you only get to turn one way.
    Bikeless for now...but not for much longer!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    Track days are nice but I'd avoid NASCAR tracks since you only get to turn one way.
    check out the road course in the middle of talladega....

I agree with the Veg, Gateway had a road course that only ran on one turn of the banked track for a short way.

Couldn't tell from Visian's google shot whether Taladega has a road course, but using such a facility would create a lot of options.

As far as cost: the thing at Gateway was an AMA sanctioned amatuer racing league. I doubt there were more than a hundred bikes. Somehow they pulled it off.

I'm not an expert, but I would guess that since the places sit empty 11 months of the year, they are open to ways to pay for lights and security, etc., by renting space to moto-oriented groups.

It would be a shame if the beer sales issue killed the idea dead in its tracks without thorough discussion. Would letting the contract vendor sell beer in the beer tent change that experience, other than maybe the cost?

Is it worth changing that particular site selection paramater in exchange for the possibility of attracting a younger demographic to the MOA experience? A demographic that could benefit greatly from mingling with ...um...seasoned riders. Living proof that not doing stupid stuff and riding multiple hundreds of thousands of miles over 30 or 40 or 50 years is a good thing. Who are their role models otherwise? The guys doing stupid stuff on the streets, I guess.

I've only been to one big rally, and to be honest, I see why it's a great thing for those who attend, but percieved as boring to younger riders. But why should we worry about them? Because, if we don't make them a part of us, there might not be any us in..., well can't predict a timeframe, but the times are changing and seminars, camping and beer don't provide the dazzle that fast bikes, stunt-riding, pretty girls and the chance to ride fast and do stunts in a safe place offer.

I don't know how to get there, but I think it's a good place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollifahrer View Post
    Has the possiblity of hold a rally at a motor-speedway ever been discussed?

Since BMW Mottorrad is targeting younger riders and riders who want faster bikes, would it make sense to hold a future rally at a motor-speedway? I was at an AMA sanctioned event at the one in St. Louis a few years ago, I think it's called Gateway.

What would a motor-speedway offer: limited infield camping, more than enough paved parking, more than adequate concession and toilet facilities, a race track, a closed road course, room for training courses, stunt riding demo area, could bring in dirt for a moto course, lots of hotels nearby...traffic/crowd control devices, lighting for night events, effective PA system...

What might one not offer: indoor vendor space, enough grass for camping, seminar rooms...

Who might attend: all the regulars, members who mainly want to get on a track or road course, locals riders who just want to check out the action and/or test ride a beemer...

I'm not saying St Louis is the ideal location, but there are a lot of such facilities all through NASCAR country, and several elsewhere.

Just an idea.
    And a great idea. So great in fact MOA did it in 1986 - then called Laguna Seca not far from Monterey, California. Good enough an idea we ought to do it again.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

How about Road America?
    Plenty of Camping, they have Motorcycle Races, a Motorcycle School, and there was 2 weekends open in July.
    Mmmmm curves.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by tkpinsc View Post
    The RA already did it at Barber Motersports Park in Alabama in a spectactular manner!
    MOA has already done it, too.

Laguna Seca, 1986.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I think the idea of using a race track is great all though it could be on the $$$$$ side. I use to be involved in PCA (Porsche Club of America) a few years ago. To rent a track like Watkins Glen ( which would be a great place for a national) the price I think was 30k for three days. I'm sure it's more today. Then again they have a wine festival there and I can't believe they pay that price.....of course no on track activities with that! There is also a very long waiting list to rent some of the nicer tracks. There's a new track (road course) being built right now in southern New Jersey. It opens next July......it's already booked for 2008.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    MOA has already done it, too.

Laguna Seca, 1986.
    21+ years ago is a very long time ago. Barber's was in this century. How many members attended at that time? I suspect the attendance would be near what the RA attendance is now. That makes venues much easier to find.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

track day at MOA Nat'l

The MOA also had a wonderful track Day as part of the Trenton, ON Rally at the Shannonville track. Lots of fun for many different classes of riders, bikes and abilities. I even got to take a few laps with my sidecar hauling around a Speedvision cameraman filming a bunch of Sled Dogs mixing it up with a few of the BMW NA ride leaders. I'll leave it to a few other Dogs to telll you about how the last corner turned out....but it is on film somewhere.

Friedle
    3 wheel Sled Dog
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    21+ years ago is a very long time ago.
    Seems like yesterday to me.

I still have the same motorcycle I rode to that rally.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by Rollifahrer View Post
    It would be a shame if the beer sales issue killed the idea dead in its tracks without thorough discussion. Would letting the contract vendor sell beer in the beer tent change that experience, other than maybe the cost?
    The beer tent should be considered sacred. The traditions are part of what makes the Nationals so exceedingly great.

1. we serve each other - it is hugely better that way - Makes it more of a party as opposed to a commercial event.
    2. the prices are reasonable - and this is not just about money - feeling ripped off as one can at a commercial event lessens the experience
    3. the selections are regional - contract vendors tend to just sell corporate swill.

I like the idea of having a Track Day like experience available on-site, but if it will destroy our beer tent tradition, then I say Dead in its Tracks! Dead!

How about Pocono Raceway in PA . Nice area . Dave