Thread: Would it be in bad taste to ride GW to rally?

Bring it on!

At a recent Chromeheads gathering in New York, one of our members rode his Gold Wing with a sign on the windshield:

R1800LT.

Go for it!

Poor man's k-bike owner kreinke's Avatar
    I look at rallies as kind of a motorcycle version of wine tasting.

Wouldn't it be boring if the winery only served Zinfandels? The variety and "bike candy" is part of what makes rallies fun.

I've kind of turned over a new leaf with the Harley bashing....and trying to refrain.
    But they all pretty much look the same and the riding gear looks the same. Group rides look like one continuous line of black leather.

Our rally rides tend to have more variety and are a little more colorful. I'm waiting for someone to custom order some 'Stitch from Duluth with a different color on each panel.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" Benjamin Franklin
    Member Suzuki America luge-less luge team MOA 121830, IBA 20994

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by PMonk View Post
    Am considering attending rally but recently bought an 07 GW ABS for two up traveling.

I have attended State and local rallies in New Mexico and the Houston Club's Hill Country rally several times and found that there were always people on other makes having a good time. I haven't attended a national rally and am curious if other makes are welcome.
    From what I've been reading in other threads, it seems that there will be at least a few BMW riders who will NOT be going to the rally next year. Mmmmmm . . . I guess you can have one of their spots!

I am in the "Houston Club" (BMW Club of Houston, Ltd. - MOA #12), and as you noted, we welcome other makes at our rally. We're there to have a good time with bikes and friends . . . we're not there to be snooty. BTW, our rally moved from the Hill Country to Smithville this year, so now it's closer to you.
    Last edited by BeemerMike; 12-05-2007 at 04:08 PM.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR, '09 Aprilia SR50 Factory

Quote Originally Posted by kreinke View Post
    I look at rallies as kind of a motorcycle version of wine tasting.

Wouldn't it be boring if the winery only served Zinfandels? The variety and "bike candy" is part of what makes rallies fun.

I've kind of turned over a new leaf with the Harley bashing....and trying to refrain.
    But they all pretty much look the same and the riding gear looks the same. Group rides look like one continuous line of black leather.

Our rally rides tend to have more variety and are a little more colorful. I'm waiting for someone to custom order some 'Stitch from Duluth with a different color on each panel.

I want one!
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Bring the GoldWing.

I went to West Bend on my VFR, and to quote someone

People will come up and look at you like you have brought fire down from the mountain.
    He was right.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

P Monk

Houston BMW club rally

BTW, our rally moved from the Hill Country to Smithville this year, so now it's closer to you.

I had to miss this years rally due to conflicts but I did attend last year and have attended whenever I could. This is a fun Rally and looking forward to it next year!

PS, since my bride don't camp, I will be on the RT

HI HO Silver
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

yep

I rode my Uly to the National in West Bend and it was entirely fine. More than fine actually. I reckon I got more questions about my bike due to it being sort of unusual. Everyone that mentioned it or asked about it did so in a manner that made me glad that I decided to ride the Uly.
    2007 Buell Ulysses
    1982 R100RT sold
    ABC# 7739
    BMWMOA# 119030 Car free since 1990

Unavailable for comment
    Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    isn't the GW assembled in America??
    My understanding is it is the only motorcycle made in America. That one other brand is only assembled in America but as long as someone has a big patch on their back and a trailer, they're a biker.

None of the guys I'm riding with or meeting there are on GWs but a GW is a great bike!

Regards,

Randy Kasal

CAPTCARL

GW sound system

Make sure you show off that great sound system on your GW... Nothing like it...
    Carl (R1800LT rider)....

Buzzed and Belligerent gambrinus's Avatar
    'Wings are cool rides. Faster than you'd think for such a big bike, but they WILL move.. Bring it to the rally and then just offer to race any knucklehead that gives you grief about it. I plan on dragging my two cousins along to the rally, one of them is on a Honda of some sort and the other is on a Harley. It's all about hanging with cool folks and having a good time.

RW
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" B. Franklin