Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Showers and Restrooms for Washing up at Gillette...

Showers and Restrooms for Washing up at Gillette...

I'm a marginal camper but being one with a "go with the flow" attitude, I am looking forward to camping at my first National in Gillette. I have camped on a couple of occasions at local rallies and have had mixed results.

Porta-johns are fine for the "essentials", however showers and restrooms for washing up can make or break whether its a "good time/bad time" for me. I am OK with showering at night (rather than the mornings when the lines are long), so long as I can wash up good and brush my teeth, etc... in the morning before heading out to ride.

Will there be sufficient showers/restrooms at Gillette to do that?
    Mike M
    2014 GSA
    MOA# 86571

I'm not in charge of anything for the rally, so I can't give a definite, but I'll relay what we had at the past two rallies that I attended.

There were plenty of port-a-johns. The were taken care of quite well (cleaned frequently); especially at West Bend. As for showers, there are shower trailers on-site. They were also taken care of pretty well. I never waited in line, but I think I took a lot of "off hours" showers. That means 11pm or after, OR after 10am. I was happy. It was MUCH better than the RA rally, this year. That was a good location, but the showers were never cleaned (as far as I could tell) and the port-a-johns were nearly overflowing a few times. I think part of that was an unexpected number of visitors... but still, the MOA seems to do a really good job with this.
    Josh Metzger - Toledo, OH
    BMWMOA#123695, ABC#8463
    1978 R80/7, 1993 R100GSPD

Talking the ice man cometh

C'mon! I always thought the best part of any National was the stuff guys said in the showers when the hot water was hours gone and nothing but ice water was left for bathing. Absolutely hysterical! That's what keeps me comin' back!
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

A little bit of info

From what I experienced in West Bend, they had it together with l(2) large semi trailers type showers all in a row plenty of water, and all pretty clean and orderly.

If they let the group use them, in addition to whatever the Bmwmoa brings in, they have 4 or 5? shower houses in the far eastern campground that are setting on permanent foundations. They were clean and well maintained last summer when I was in Gillette.

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    From what I experienced in West Bend, they had it together with l(2) large semi trailers type showers all in a row plenty of water, and all pretty clean and orderly.

If they let the group use them, in addition to whatever the Bmwmoa brings in, they have 4 or 5? shower houses in the far eastern campground that are setting on permanent foundations. They were clean and well maintained last summer when I was in Gillette.
    There are 4 permanant shower "trailers" in the Boxelder camping area. 12 showers per unit. There are also some showers in the lower area. We will also have a shuttle around the grounds for those that are "allergic" to exercise (walking)
    There will be porta-johns aplenty as well as indoor restrooms, sinks.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

HODAG
    is there a map yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
    is there a map yet?

Not yet. Probably won't be until after the 1st of the year.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

This isn't "our" map but a map

I realize this doesn't show how we will be using the facility but it will give you an idea of the lay out

http://www.cam-plex.com/pages/EnergyHall_Frame.htm

Then click on: < Cam-Plex site diagram>
    Stan Herman
    BMW MOA Ambassador; Life Member; Director
    IBA member; SCMA Four Corners Motorcycle Tour Finisher

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post

T'was a far cry from the PVC and garden hose setup in Madison , Indiana.
    I am not complaining mind you, that was better than driving off site somewhere.
    It was also rotated for men and women. The trailers at West Bend were exceptional for the National, but wear sandals.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
    is there a map yet?
    We'll make sure you get a map to the shower...
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    Could you arange to have a trail of beer tabs for him to follow?
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Holy crow - 688 full service RV sites in one campground! That's a bunch of camping for those of us with RV's, and it means we won't have to commute from 40 miles away. We may show up in Gillette!
    Dan

bpdougd

Just two words...

Handi-wipes and Kleenex. Showers are for wimps

HODAG
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    I don't get (hungover)

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Holy crow - 688 full service RV sites in one campground! That's a bunch of camping for those of us with RV's, and it means we won't have to commute from 40 miles away. We may show up in Gillette!
    And that's only in one of the campgrounds. The whole place has 1,761 sites. I usually load my old airhead in the bed of my truck, hook up my camper and head to rallies. As long as I have electricity to run my CPAP machine, I get by fine. However, the distance to the rally will keep me away this time. The time away from home and the $1,000 for gas it would take to get me there and back prevents my attendance. However, if it the rally is ever at a really special location where my wife would go with me, the time and cost would be far less of an issue.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.