Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lodging??

Rally Rat
    I'm still trying to figure out how a town like Gillette with only 13 hotels was first considered and then selected. Since there are no towns within 20-23 miles, the selection committee must have counted the number of rooms available in the prairie dog towns.

tkpinsc
    Quote Originally Posted by kenk View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how a town like Gillette with only 13 hotels was first considered and then selected. Since there are no towns within 20-23 miles, the selection committee must have counted the number of rooms available in the prairie dog towns.

With enough cheap beer and great entertainment who needs rooms?

judjones
    I'm still trying to figure out why the number of hotel rooms would ever be a criterion for a rally site.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by judjones View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why the number of hotel rooms would ever be a criterion for a rally site.
    Old bones, bad backs, medical conditions and city slickers.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

mrich12000

Exclamation Other rallies to

Just wondering Paul is there to be a Salty fog this year? any how to far for me I will be attending Fingerlakes,Laconium and The return to Trenton, That's my club, "The Loonie-tics" put a great show(The steaks melt in your mouth) in August, and if you know is the green mountain going this year? Thanks hope you all have a great time in wyo.

Michael R
    12636x
    K75rt
    VE3CEH
    RCE ret.

Quote Originally Posted by kenk View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how a town like Gillette with only 13 hotels was first considered and then selected.
    We get it, Ken. Heard you loud and clear. No can you give it a rest please?

Thank you.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

tkpinsc
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rihn-Manke View Post
    We get it, Ken. Heard you loud and clear. No can you give it a rest please?

Thank you.
    I'm sure the board and the committee get it at this point, however no one has answered his question. I suspect the best way to end this thread would be to provide one.

Quote Originally Posted by tkpinsc View Post
    I'm sure the board and the committee get it at this point, however no one has answered his question. I suspect the best way to end this thread would be to provide one.
    Au contrare, mon ami.... He has been answered:
    By Board members Michael Friedle and Dave Swider.
    By Site Selection Committee members Friedle and Schmiesser.
    By former rally chairmen.
    By other experienced rally volunteers.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21479

Each rally site carries it's own pluses and minuses. For instance,

***West Bend did not have adequate inside air conditioned space for all of our seminars and vendors.

***Burlington Vermont had an 11 PM noise curfew.

***Lima, Ohio had NO air conditioned spaces.

***And Gillette has less hotel rooms than we could use.

None of these are show stoppers. The bottom line is that site in Gillette was well researched. It provided everything needed for a great rally. There will never be a perfect rally site. Continuing to gripe about this location is getting old.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Thanks, tkpinsc(?) and thanks to Sue for jumping in!! Sue's experience with succesful rallies is very helpful!!

Actually this was answered many moons ago, and is lost somewhere in forumland. The Rally Site Selection team was aware of the limited hotels in the area, but felt the site advantages far outweighed the disadvantages.

Many of the mom & pop hotels have been taken over by construction workers. The BMW MOA found out about the power plant construction schedule after the decision was made and contracts signed.
    As everyone is aware the negoiation on rally sites takes place long before the actual rally.
    For many years BMW rallies have been known as "camping rallies". This year we have more options for Sherpas than in years past, and are trying to make the best of it. We know the membership is changing, and the RSS team will definitely have more rooms as a priority, but if we hold out until every criteria is met......we may not have a rally.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

tkpinsc
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rihn-Manke View Post
    Au contrare, mon ami.... He has been answered:
    By Board members Michael Friedle and Dave Swider.
    By Site Selection Committee members Friedle and Schmiesser.
    By former rally chairmen.
    By other experienced rally volunteers.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21479

Each rally site carries it's own pluses and minuses. For instance,

***West Bend did not have adequate inside air conditioned space for all of our seminars and vendors.

***Burlington Vermont had an 11 PM noise curfew.

***Lima, Ohio had NO air conditioned spaces.

***And Gillette has less hotel rooms than we could use.

None of these are show stoppers. The bottom line is that site in Gillette was well researched. It provided everything needed for a great rally. There will never be a perfect rally site. Continuing to gripe about this location is getting old.

I just re-read the thread you linked to. I found posts by the folks you mentioned posted, but I did not see anyone answer his question. Please send me the post numbers so I can find them. Thanks.

tkpinsc
    Quote Originally Posted by k75karol View Post
    Thanks, tkpinsc(?) and thanks to Sue for jumping in!! Sue's experience with succesful rallies is very helpful!!

Actually this was answered many moons ago, and is lost somewhere in forumland. The Rally Site Selection team was aware of the limited hotels in the area, but felt the site advantages far outweighed the disadvantages.

Many of the mom & pop hotels have been taken over by construction workers. The BMW MOA found out about the power plant construction schedule after the decision was made and contracts signed.
    As everyone is aware the negoiation on rally sites takes place long before the actual rally.
    For many years BMW rallies have been known as "camping rallies". This year we have more options for Sherpas than in years past, and are trying to make the best of it. We know the membership is changing, and the RSS team will definitely have more rooms as a priority, but if we hold out until every criteria is met......we may not have a rally.

Thank you. I may be wrong, but I sense what kenk is fishing for is which advantages were felt to out weigh the lack of motels. I'm really not trying to be contentious, just trying to bring this issue to an end. If someone in the know could/would spell this out, some folks on this thread will not like the answer, but hopefully we can then all move forward.

Thank you. I may be wrong, but I sense what kenk is fishing for is which advantages were felt to out weigh the lack of motels. I'm really not trying to be contentious, just trying to bring this issue to an end. If someone in the know could/would spell this out, some folks on this thread will not like the answer, but hopefully we can then all move forward.
    The advantage: THE PEOPLE, THE EXPERIENCE of the rally being held in Wyoming.
    The wonderful State of Wyoming and ALL the roads and times to be had on the way there, and the way home.

Each to their own, but that's mine. Wyoming is different than say, Wisconsin, but for those of us who know this state, it's worth it to me when you mix in all the ingredients.

Rock on Wyoming!

red

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    kenk

We may as well quit complaining about this rally. It's a done deal and nothing is going to change it. We can only hope that future sites are better suited for what we want in a rally location. As the Cub fans always say "wait til next year".

I will not go because of the distance involved, expenses involved (motels, etc) and there is nothing special (for me). I will probably substiture the RA rally in the UP of Michigan. It is just over half as far for me, is a nicer location for visiting as well as riding and it has a far more comfortable temperature.

The size of the MOA rally makes it far more difficult to find venues that can handle the number of people attending.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    kenk

We may as well quit complaining about this rally. It's a done deal and nothing is going to change it. We can only hope that future sites are better suited for what we want in a rally location. As the Cub fans always say "wait til next year".

I will not go because of the distance involved, expenses involved (motels, etc) and there is nothing special (for me). I will probably substiture the RA rally in the UP of Michigan. It is just over half as far for me, is a nicer location for visiting as well as riding and it has a far more comfortable temperature.

The size of the MOA rally makes it far more difficult to find venues that can handle the number of people attending.
    I have a question; whats the temp like in the UP of Michigan in the summer time? No humidity? Not too hot, but not too cold?

I really don't know.

Thumbs up Think 'West Bend'

I've done a fair amount of riding in Michigan's UP in the summer months, and found it quite pleasant. Very much like the weather we enjoyed at the Rally in West Bend this past July.

Temps can even be a little cooler, due to higher latitudes and that big air conditioner we call Lake Superior.

Have ridden to Watersmeet, Land O' Lakes, Munising, St. Ignace, Mackinaw City and spent time on Mackinac Island. Take a look at the May, '07 issue of ON - "Bridges To Adventure." Gives a more detailed account of the area and what I thought of it when I wrote the article.

By the way, where and when is this RA Rally?!