Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 65

Thread: Lodging??

  1. #31
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by SherpaMayberry View Post
    As far as BMW rallies go (the ones I support), the Sherpa camp has hardly been a drunk fest. Sure, there's some moderate drinking (one of the advantages of staying on the ground), but nothing close to a 'drunk fest'.



    If a wife is expecting a hotel room with a/c, shower, etc, Sherpa isn't an option. However, plenty of wives have been rather happy with the service.
    I tent camp all the time. However, most women and a large number of men (I rode to the arctic circle with one last year) have no desire to camp. My wife is one of them. Camping is really your only option with this rally. I can stay in Crystal City overlooking Washington D.C. for the price of a crap hotel in Gillette...and I'm overpaying in Washington D.C. I was quoted $230 for run down mom & pop in Gillette. For the same price, I can take my wife to Aspen or Jackson Hole where I can enjoy the ride and she can shop until she drops. What's the draw at Gillette? A beer tent...Geeeeez folks. No wonder we only draw 10% of our members. Expect much less for Gillette and possibly long-term damage to our vendors. Heck..hotels on the haul road are cheaper.

  2. #32
    Ex-Camping guy sherpamayberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Earth, USA, Virginia, Alexandria
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by kenk View Post
    I tent camp all the time. However, most women and a large number of men (I rode to the arctic circle with one last year) have no desire to camp. My wife is one of them. Camping is really your only option with this rally. I can stay in Crystal City overlooking Washington D.C. for the price of a crap hotel in Gillette...and I'm overpaying in Washington D.C. I was quoted $230 for run down mom & pop in Gillette. For the same price, I can take my wife to Aspen or Jackson Hole where I can enjoy the ride and she can shop until she drops. What's the draw at Gillette? A beer tent...Geeeeez folks. No wonder we only draw 10% of our members. Expect much less for Gillette and possibly long-term damage to our vendors. Heck..hotels on the haul road are cheaper.
    I have no personal issues with your gripes about the hotel prices.

    I just want to make it real clear that the Sherpa Village for BMW events (including MOA, RA and Cass) is not a drunk fest.

    No where close to it.

    I have no idea where you got this idea, and do not appreciate being painted in such a light.

  3. #33
    Registered User Rapid_Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    5,694
    Quote Originally Posted by SherpaMayberry View Post
    I have no personal issues with your gripes about the hotel prices.

    I just want to make it real clear that the Sherpa Village for BMW events (including MOA, RA and Cass) is not a drunk fest.

    No where close to it.

    I have no idea where you got this idea, and do not appreciate being painted in such a light.
    I'll second that. I was going to go over there and complain about it being too quiet.

    In fact, one of the people at the Sherpa Village came over by our group because he said he could hear us having fun. Most folks were asleep, or being very quiet at Sherpa Village by that time. Not anything like a drunk fest.
    We were the drunk fest, but not all of us were drunk.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

  4. #34
    Rollin' by the River R1100rtp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by kenk View Post
    I tent camp all the time. However, most women and a large number of men (I rode to the arctic circle with one last year) have no desire to camp. My wife is one of them.
    You may need to rephrase that, Ken.....Some women and Some Men. I know a lot of women (riders and non) that enjoy camping.
    For those who don't....

    I just called the Hampton Inn. They have 15 rooms left in our block @ $199.00. The Holiday Inn Express has sporadic availability only on certain days. The best thing to do is Call. DonÔÇÖt make reservations over the internet or you wonÔÇÖt get our rates, and make sure to mention the BMW MOA block. I have calls in to some of the other hotels checking the status, but wonÔÇÖt hear until tomorrow. There are still rooms at the Days Inn (307-682-3999) for a rate of $139 single/149 double.

    These are negotiated rates, so you must mention the BMW MOA.

    And for the record....I took advantage of the Sherpa Village in NC, and I must have missed the drunkfest! All was quiet!
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

    Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

  5. #35
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by k75karol View Post
    You may need to rephrase that, Ken.....Some women and Some Men. I know a lot of women (riders and non) that enjoy camping.
    For those who don't....

    I just called the Hampton Inn. They have 15 rooms left in our block @ $199.00. The Holiday Inn Express has sporadic availability only on certain days. The best thing to do is Call. DonÔÇÖt make reservations over the internet or you wonÔÇÖt get our rates, and make sure to mention the BMW MOA block. I have calls in to some of the other hotels checking the status, but wonÔÇÖt hear until tomorrow. There are still rooms at the Days Inn (307-682-3999) for a rate of $139 single/149 double.

    These are negotiated rates, so you must mention the BMW MOA.

    And for the record....I took advantage of the Sherpa Village in NC, and I must have missed the drunkfest! All was quiet!
    Well Karol...you've been to just about every rally, so I don't need to tell you that when you look around, it's not 50/50 men and women. The rallies are predominantly men with some women. The more hotels available, the more more women. At West Bend, 80% were men and 18% were women. Most of men are married and left our wives at home. I prefer to take my wife along.

    When you include tax into the Holiday Inn Express numbers, your spending close to $900 for four days. The Days Inn is not filled for a reason. It's has a horrible rating due to it's bad management.

  6. #36
    Registered User clowry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Oakville, ON
    Posts
    1,895

    Unhappy

    I seem to remember seeing LOTS of couples at the '07 Rally. What does it matter what the gender dynamic of the group is? I'm sure that MANY of our members, male or female, and for a variety of reasons would prefer a private bathroom, a comfy bed and a climate controlled room. That's not always possible. Many of us are looking forward to the rally, and would go no matter where the group decides to hold it. The location is secondary to the event - the meeting up with friends and acquaintances, putting faces to names, taking in the seminars etc. I can only speak for myself, but I'm not looking forward to hearing 6+ more months of pi**ing and moaning about the location and the perceived lack of amenities/conveniences/suitable roads/shopping opportunities/sightseeing venues/whatever. If you're not happy with it, by all means, give it a miss. We'll gladly see you next time, if that one suits you. Otherwise, if you're not inclined to come, STFU about it.

    Cheryl

    And as a resident of Sherpa Village at West Bend I can attest to the fact that it was NO drunkfest.

  7. #37
    *Safety Queen*
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    221
    FWIW, I joined MOA because I knew I was going to Gillette. I love the riding in Wyoming! I chose to get a motel but I am perfectly happy camping too, and have done that more than I have used motels on bike trips. So . . . a lot of people, including women, are happy with the site and the options.

  8. #38
    Registered User redclfco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,014
    As a first time rally attendee, I was impressed by the division of "types" of campers at West Bend.

    All the lined up nicely were the Sherpa tents uniform and seemingly perfect, and were, for the most part pitch dark after 11:00? 10:00 either with sleeping occupants, or quiet ones indeed! Nice looking, quiet, and not for me! I get sea sick if Iook too close at pefect right angles; I strive for random chaos in my life

    The area where I camped was as far from the "normal people" as you could find, way north and east over by the fence. I'm not the one to disturb others, however do like the conversation late into the evening, meeting new people, and telling fish stories, so I was pleased that those who wished to stay up and chew the fat had a place of their own far from those who actually wished for the quiet and sleep. That quiet area, I do believe was the Sherpa tent area. Other areas west of the main pavilion was also one where I originally pulled into when I first arrived, and thought it was nice, but a bit sedate for my liking; and these were also people who found the quiet they were looking for after the 10:00 hour.

    Now maybe there was a "drunk fest" somewhere at West Bend, but it wasn't my group, and when I finally was bested by this seemingly all night group, I donned my earplugs, and went to bed in my tent! Out like a rock and stayed that way. Drunks are a label and didn't seem to fit my group! Happy people imbibing a bit late at night is what you call drunks? Yep thats them, but Drunks? Hardly! Thats a total oversimplification of the disease that afflicts this group I've seen many a drunk in my life, and this group don't fit that label. There was plenty of room at West Bend to separate out all the people, and even more room by my eye at Gillette; it shouldnÔÇÖt be a problem.

    If this group is the one labeled by excessive drinking, keep in mind that some of in this crowd such as myself labeled "drunks" preferred chai tea to the fermented beverage, so what may have been said about any area is a huge stereotype, and not true. I don't touch the stufff myself, but love a good conversation around the dark and deep into the night.

    Gillette has twice the area, and areas separated by large distances, so I would imagine each type of rider will head to their own area, and nary will a word be said as long as we all can keep track of Pete!!

    See you all in Gillette!

    Red
    Last edited by redclfco; 01-04-2008 at 03:26 AM. Reason: spelin as alwaze

  9. #39
    Minnesota Nice! braddog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Twin Cities - MN
    Posts
    1,922

    Deja vu all over again, Ken.

    kenk, seriously, hats off to you and your wife for traveling together on 2 wheels, and enjoying nice hotel stays. In many ways, I envy you. My wife does not like motorcycles, does not like to ride as a passenger on a motorcycle, and is not crazy about me riding a motorcycle. However, she understands my love of riding, and is quite tolerant of it. She has attended some rallies with me, but with me on the motorcycle and her in the car. Ever stayed at Chula Vista at the Dells? That's hardly roughing it, but that's about as close to camping as she'll ever go. She does love to ride her own 125 Vino scooter, which doesn't make much sense, but I digress.

    You've communicated your rally attendance requirements very clearly, over and over again. I think everyone "gets" it. You've got your priorities, and you're sticking to them. Good for you. And good for your wife, as well. But now it seems you're taking some shots at a rally provider, which doesn't seem very fair.

    I'm sure you and your wife will enjoy yourselves greatly this summer at Jackson Hole, or any number of other great places. But, the BMW MOA National doesn't seem to be on your list this year. So be it. That's OK, hopefully it will be somewhere more to your liking in 2009. You've provided input to the process, which I'm sure, is actually appreciated.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

  10. #40
    Rollin' by the River R1100rtp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
    FWIW, I joined MOA because I knew I was going to Gillette. I love the riding in Wyoming! I chose to get a motel but I am perfectly happy camping too, and have done that more than I have used motels on bike trips. So . . . a lot of people, including women, are happy with the site and the options.
    We're glad you joined us. Be sure to say Hi! in Gillette, and we know you'll be safe!!
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

    Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

  11. #41
    Rollin' by the River R1100rtp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by clowry View Post
    What does it matter what the gender dynamic of the group is? I'm sure that MANY of our members, male or female, and for a variety of reasons would prefer a private bathroom, a comfy bed and a climate controlled room. That's not always possible. Many of us are looking forward to the rally, and would go no matter where the group decides to hold it. The location is secondary to the event - the meeting up with friends and acquaintances, putting faces to names, taking in the seminars etc. I can only speak for myself, but I'm not looking forward to hearing 6+ more months of pi**ing and moaning about the location and the perceived lack of amenities/conveniences/suitable roads/shopping opportunities/sightseeing venues/whatever. If you're not happy with it, by all means, give it a miss.
    +1
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

    Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

  12. #42
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    629
    Here's some South Dakota choices. However, a bit far to enjoy the rally.

    Spearfish, SD 94 miles (188 miles round trip)
    Quality Inn $126.66
    Days Inn $106

    Sturgis, SD 113 miles (225 miles round trip)
    Best Western Sturgis Inn $107
    Super 8 Sturgis SD $69

    Deadwood, SD 108 miles (216 miles round trip)
    First Gold Hotel and Casino Deadwood $92
    Best Western Hickok House $89
    AmericInn Deadwood $116

    Rapid City, SD 141 miles (282 miles round trip)

  13. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    109
    Wow, after reading this thread I think kenk should bypass Gillette and stick to rallies like the Curve Cowboy Reunion! Seriously, I usually book a motel room for the rally but in Gillette that'$ not an option for me. OK, I guess that means I can P&M about it for the next 5 months, thrown an icky fit and threaten to not go (like that will make the organization change the site or the setup), or deal with the situation as it is. Personally, I think the latter is the way to go so I plan on staying in Buffalo, or Sheridan, or Casper, or ??? the night before the rally and show up early to be a VOLUNTEER. Maybe I can help make things better in some small way....

    So where on the rally page do I go to sign up? I can handle anything except latrine duty or security.....
    :^)

    GTRider

  14. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1

    Angry Gillette Lodging

    Here's some information for you about lodging in Gillette that's a bit disturbing (specifically the Clarion Inn) - if you've tried to plan early, as we did for 5 couples, so that we could gather, from literally all sides of the country, and made reservations at the Clarion Inn - don't count on them honoring them.

    We called, got our room reservations with confirmation numbers at a $119.00 rate way back in August after returning from the Wisconsin rally.

    Returning home to Nevada after our Christmas holidays, we had a message from the Clarion informing us that they couldn't honor that rate and they had cancelled all our reservations.

    Seems these rates were only intended for our BMWMOA board members and there were only 2 people who were authorized to release these rooms at this rate.

    Funny, we didn't ask for any special BMW rates - just called to make reservations. How unprofessional of the Clarion. I don't fault the MOA board for getting a special block rate for their group, but shouldn't they have made it clear to the folks at the Clarion exactly who that group consisted of?
    A bit of egg on the face of both our Board and the Clarion Inn.

    So, they decided it was OK to just arbitrarily cancel our rooms and, by the way, good luck with finding something else...........

    Sure hope this isn't an indication of how the entire rally will be unfolding........

    jesaus in NV

  15. #45
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by jesaus View Post
    Here's some information for you about lodging in Gillette that's a bit disturbing (specifically the Clarion Inn) - if you've tried to plan early, as we did for 5 couples, so that we could gather, from literally all sides of the country, and made reservations at the Clarion Inn - don't count on them honoring them.

    We called, got our room reservations with confirmation numbers at a $119.00 rate way back in August after returning from the Wisconsin rally.

    Returning home to Nevada after our Christmas holidays, we had a message from the Clarion informing us that they couldn't honor that rate and they had cancelled all our reservations.

    Seems these rates were only intended for our BMWMOA board members and there were only 2 people who were authorized to release these rooms at this rate.

    Funny, we didn't ask for any special BMW rates - just called to make reservations. How unprofessional of the Clarion. I don't fault the MOA board for getting a special block rate for their group, but shouldn't they have made it clear to the folks at the Clarion exactly who that group consisted of?
    A bit of egg on the face of both our Board and the Clarion Inn.

    So, they decided it was OK to just arbitrarily cancel our rooms and, by the way, good luck with finding something else...........

    Sure hope this isn't an indication of how the entire rally will be unfolding........

    jesaus in NV
    This practice is not uncommon. A couple years ago, I booked a room at a Holiday Inn Express for my wife and I in Indianapolis on the day they announced the next years date for the USGP F1 race for $98 a night. With confirmation numbers, I thought I was safe. A couple weeks later, I received an email canceling my reservation. So I call the hotel and talked to the manager. The manager stated the clerk made a mistake and wouldn't honor the price. The new price was $198 a night. So I call the National Headquarter of Holiday Inn Express and was told although not a good business practice, each hotel was individually owned and I had no recourse. I then told the man I did have recourse. At the time, I was staying 90-100 days a year in hotels. My recourse was I no longer stay in Holiday Inn Express Hotels. In addition, I instructed all the folks that worked for me they were no longer allowed to stay in Holiday Inn Express Hotels.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •