Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Lodging??

Quote Originally Posted by apopj View Post
    Well,

My wife will be with me and she wants a hotel room. I always think of the MOA as a family group, not a solo camping experience. She doesn't mind camping after a short ride, but when its two hard days for her, she wants some comfort.
    I hear ya.

On one hand, my setup is quite comfy, includes a 9" Coleman air mattress, and I'm on site for the duration to top off those slow leakers (happens after a few days of use). Many folks tell me it's the best night of sleep they've had in a long time.

On the other hand, I can certainly understand the privacy, own bathroom, real bed, having a dresser to unpack, being able to stand up and change clothes, etc. that a hotel room provides. If that's the kind of comfort the wife is demanding, Sherpa isn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by clowry View Post
    The rate is probably right, unfortunately. Try Sherpa Mayberry's camping service, if you don't mind tenting it. Comes out to not much more than that for the whole rally, and he makes very good coffee!

Cheryl
    Indeed. My current rate (with sales tax added) for a double tent setup is only $5 more than that single night. With sales tax (I'm guessing the $220 doesn't include sales tax), my current rate is $237.60 and covers the duration of the rally. Single tent is lower, naturally.

Rates will increase as the rally draws closer. I offer a lower price at first so that past customers can book early and save $'s. I'll also send out a mass emailing to last year's customers early Jan to provide similar heads up.

I'll have 200 tent capacity in '08. I bought a propane coffee pot that holds 12 gallons of coffee. That plus a couple 101 cup units *should* allow me to keep up with the drastic demand!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post

3-man quality, waterproof tent: $27
    Ground Cloth: $8
    Sleeping Bag (Good to 35 degrees): $20
    Over-size Tent Stakes (For WY winds!): $5
    Tent Stake Hammer & Remover: $6
    8" Thick Twin-size Air Mattress: $12
    Battery-operated Air Pump: $10
    Waterproof tent, pretty cheap, but oughta work fine for the weekend.

I personally do not bother with ground cloths. The Coleman tents I use have a very good bath-tub like waterproof floor. I don't have issues with water seeping through the bottom. Even if the tent gets damp inside, the air mattress keeps the sleeping bag dry.

My experience with air mattresses is about 10% right out of the box leak (Coleman, no less. Other camping services use lesser brand and have a higher failure rate). 90% chance it'll work ok, consider little lower odds as I'm guessing $12 isn't necessarily a quality brand. I'd pack a couple, but probably bad advice when considering how much to pack on a bike (they aren't light). Then again, topping off to fall asleep and waking up on the ground might be a suitable risk for many. Been there, done that myself many times.

Air pump, definitely nice to have, but when I was bicycle touring, I didn't want to carry one around. I sat in my chair and breathed into my air mattress for about a half hour while reading a book. Looked odd, but the job got done.

Over sized tent stakes, absolutely. The little ones that come with the tent do not hold up well in wind. Don't ask me why I know that.

Don't forget a chair (Kermit?)...
    Last edited by SherpaMayberry; 11-26-2007 at 04:27 PM.

I booked my tent with SherpaMayberry, so I guess I'm commited now.

I like camping, but 2-up camping is a pain. But I like being at the ralley site, so we will motel on the way to and from the rally, and have a nice comfy tent on the grounds when we get there.

Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

Wife will be happy too.

See ya there, Don

Quote Originally Posted by judjones View Post
    Save the boxes and return it all to Walmart after the rally. Total cost for lodging at the rally: $0.00
    Better Yet......donate it to the local boy or girl scouts
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by k75karol View Post
    Better Yet......donate it to the local boy or girl scouts
    An option.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBMW View Post
    Prolly a good idea if you are going to hotel-it. Spearfish is a nice mid-sized town and would be a good center of operations if you planned to do some riding through the Black Hills during the National.
    Spearfish or Buffalo are far enough away (one hour+) that it wouldn't feel like you were part of the rally. As an experienced hotel dweller myself, being 10 miles away can feel remote. I made the switch to Sherpa Ted, and can strongly recommend it. Clean towels everyday, attentive service, hot coffee, quiet camping & no gear to haul!
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

EyeBiker

Lodging

I agree....Sherpa Mayberry rocks.

lodging

This is my first rally....EVER ! I am looking forward to the adventure and after reading some of these posts, I'm a little confused. Once I register for the national rally, does that include lodging at the rally site, or do I have to make arrangements for lodging at another site? What does the registration fee include? Are there restaurants (food tents) on site, are there washroom facilities etc? I'll be traveling up from south Florida (Tampa Bay area) and I plan on combining camping and an occasional motel along the way. How can I find other riders who plan on making the trip? Thanks for the help!

Answers!

This is my first rally....EVER ! I am looking forward to the adventure and after reading some of these posts, I'm a little confused. Once I register for the national rally, does that include lodging at the rally site, or do I have to make arrangements for lodging at another site?

The rally fee includes a spot to camp, right on site of the rally.

What does the registration fee include?
    For starters, it includes access to the grounds and ALL events at the rally, including a camping spot, seminars, displays, vendors, etc.

Are there restaurants (food tents) on site, are there washroom facilities etc?
    There will be multiple food vendors on site, and most are quite reasonable in price. There will be many, many porta-johns set up, that are frequently "serviced". There will also be hot showers available as well as washup sinks.

I'll be traveling up from south Florida (Tampa Bay area) and I plan on combining camping and an occasional motel along the way. How can I find other riders who plan on making the trip? Thanks for the help!
    This forum is a good place to start.

Disclaimer: I'm basing my answers on my experience at West Bend, my first national rally. I am NOT a camper in the truest sense, but frankly, you don't HAVE to be to camp at a national rally. All the amenities are provided, if you want to use them and pay for them (you pay for food and drink, but the plumbing facilities are free).
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by apopj View Post
    Hey guys,

I must be doing something wrong. I went to Expedia.com and checked on rooms for the rally in Gillette. A 1 1/2 star motel was $220 a night. Did I read it wrong or was the decimal point put in the wrong spot? I really really want to go to the rally, but to pay almost $1000 for a room for several days seems rather severe. So, what did I do wrong? Thanks for the help and see you in Gillette (Maybe!!!)..... Jeff
    A blind man could have foreseen this problem. I called most of the local hotels three months ago and the prices all far exceeded the numbers in this months ON. A sherpa tent is good for a drunk fest. It's not a good idea if your bringing your wife. My wife has rode plenty of 500 mile days over the past 25 years. However, she expects a good room at the end of the day and a great restaurant. Gillette has neither. With all the selection requirement that limit our possible locations, I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how Gillette made the cut.

Meanwhile, I will take her to Jackson Hole and allow her to bend a credit card on whatever she wants.

Quote Originally Posted by kenk View Post
    A sherpa tent is good for a drunk fest.
    As far as BMW rallies go (the ones I support), the Sherpa camp has hardly been a drunk fest. Sure, there's some moderate drinking (one of the advantages of staying on the ground), but nothing close to a 'drunk fest'.

It's not a good idea if your bringing your wife.
    If a wife is expecting a hotel room with a/c, shower, etc, Sherpa isn't an option. However, plenty of wives have been rather happy with the service.

Kenk, where on earth did you get the idea that the Sherpa village is a "drunk fest?"

I've got frequent lodger points with Sherpa Mayberry (Lima, Shelbyville, Asheville, West Bend) and I've never encountered anything that could be considered drunken behavior.

John

With all the selection requirement that limit our possible locations, I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how Gillette made the cut.
    Jeepers, Ken --- Give it a rest, would ya?
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by SherpaMayberry View Post
    As far as BMW rallies go (the ones I support), the Sherpa camp has hardly been a drunk fest. Sure, there's some moderate drinking (one of the advantages of staying on the ground), but nothing close to a 'drunk fest'.
    That may have been our group. We were just on the other side of the century fence at West Bend. Sorry.

We will camp far away from the Sherpa site at Gillette.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    That may have been our group. We were just on the other side of the century fence at West Bend. Sorry.

We will camp far away from the Sherpa site at Gillette.
    Then your group must also be pretty well behaved. I have never noticed any rowdiness within or around the Sherpa Village.

Now, my other non-BMW motorcycle rally.... I just won't go there.