Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 76

Thread: Geezer Free Zone

  1. #31
    Just me rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    Posts
    825

    Re: Geezer Free Zone

    Originally posted by Rob Nye
    I am considering setting up a seminar that would be titled the Geezer Free Zone for riders under 26. ,
    I will cut to the chase.Bad idea.

    I started ride'n at 15 and been ride steady for over 35 years.

    I hung out with the old farts during my young days and hang out with the "kidsÔÇØ now.

    Motorcycles create a common bond that spans many barriers, including age.

    If itÔÇÖs input yur after; it does not matter what a 21 year old wants, or what a 71 year old wants. It only matters what a motorcyclist wants.

    Daymn, if ya think Im opinionated now.Ya shoulda seen me in my 20s

  2. #32
    Ambassador at Large Jim Shaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hinckley, OH and Ann Arbor, MI USA
    Posts
    236

    Hey Tarren

    What Kbasa said. Where are you located? Whatdaya ride? Oh - just register so we got a stationary target.

  3. #33
    looking for a coal mine knary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    5,878
    Originally posted by tarrenshaw
    This will be my first rally and I'm 25. I'll be bringing my gf who is 19, so the idea of activites oriented towards people in thier 20's sounds like a great idea! Jim Shaw had some excellent suggestions like the seperate tenting area and the seminars about cheap riding gear and camping. See ya there!

    Tarren Shaw
    I would vote for a series of "new to riding" events. I would be willing to bet that there will be many more newbies that are 55 at the rally than newbies that are 25.

  4. #34
    Ambassador at Large Jim Shaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hinckley, OH and Ann Arbor, MI USA
    Posts
    236

    Inclusion vs. seclusion

    I agree with Knary. The idea for the seminars is to include all interested. I remember very well my first MOA rally at Moodus. I had all the wrong gear, all the wrong expectations. I was lucky to run into another rider who introduced me around, and showed me the ropes. -He WASN'T opinionated, thank God.

    The idea with the separate camping is to provide a place where younger people feel more comfortable with each other, and find it easy to meet others that they can have some fun with. Strictly voluntary.

    Jim

  5. #35
    Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,799

    A little of both?

    I think a new to riding theme of seminars - sans age is a good idea.

    I also think that having some Generation X & Y entertainment is a good idea.

    So perhaps both?



    -=Brad (on Location in Potters Bar, England and missing my motorcycle.)
    -=Brad

    It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

  6. #36
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639

    Re: A little of both?

    Originally posted by BradfordBenn
    I think a new to riding theme of seminars - sans age is a good idea.

    I also think that having some Generation X & Y entertainment is a good idea.

    So perhaps both?



    -=Brad (on Location in Potters Bar, England and missing my motorcycle.)
    In.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  7. #37
    Ambassador at Large Jim Shaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hinckley, OH and Ann Arbor, MI USA
    Posts
    236

    Re: Re: A little of both?

    Originally posted by KBasa
    In.
    So, maybe you'll be in a position to DO something about all this talk?

  8. #38
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639

    Re: Re: Re: A little of both?

    Originally posted by Jim Shaw
    So, maybe you'll be in a position to DO something about all this talk?
    Sure. Cruise my hotel room and I'll play some of my punk and hip hop music for ya.

    I may have other responsibilities at the national this year.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  9. #39
    Brrr YB in IN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Re: Re: Re: A little of both?

    Originally posted by KBasa
    Sure. Cruise my hotel room and I'll play some of my punk and hip hop music for ya.

    I may have other responsibilities at the national this year.
    Hey hey, now don't be jinxing yourself now!!!

  10. #40
    On to Redmond! motoclass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    37
    I think the best thing any of us can do is to invite that younger rider (or any stranger for that matter!) to sit at our table in the Beer Garden or to set up their tent next to ours... invite him/her in! Ask them what their ride was like; how do you like your bike; what kind of tires have worked best for you, etc. Invite him/her into your/our group!

    At the Redmond National there was a young guy (19-20) wandering alone around the rally site on a Ducati Monster. Well, he happened to stop by the area that "our group" was camped at to look at another Ducati Monster (ridden by a notorious woman from Spokane by the way) parked there. Someone asked him a question, someone else another question, and before you knew it he had spent the entire Rally camped, eating, drinking, and having a heckova great time with a group of people old enough to be his mother or father. That was his first rally. The next time I see Ryan at a rally it will be renewing an old friendship. Age wasn't a factor for him or for any of us. Motorcycles were.

    We all can make everyone feel welcome!
    Chris Hughes - Ambassador
    BMWMOA #33373
    NWRR #911
    INBMWR #008
    WSBMWR #?
    GUINNESS #1
    HOMEBREW #2


    "It is better to have seen a place once... than to have heard of it a thousand times"

  11. #41
    Registered User amiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Murrells Inlet, S. C.
    Posts
    870
    I don't like the idea. We are supposed to be a "family" that has a love for the BMW motorcycle, now we seem to have people wanting to fragment things all to pieces.

    We already have segregated, women only MC classes. Now are we to segregate other activities by age as well. Activities at the rally should be inclusive so as to bring us together, not exclusive eliminating one group or another from attending.

    This isn't a resort with "something for everyone" It is a BMW rally, where I believe that the focus should be on the enjoyment of BMW Motorcycles and their care and feeding.

    The rally runs only a few days, lets get to know each other as best we can, not be isolated into splinter groups that pass in the night

  12. #42
    Brrr YB in IN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    1,185
    Originally posted by A Miles
    I don't like the idea. We are supposed to be a "family" that has a love for the BMW motorcycle, now we seem to have people wanting to fragment things all to pieces.

    We already have segregated, women only MC classes. Now are we to segregate other activities by age as well. Activities at the rally should be inclusive so as to bring us together, not exclusive eliminating one group or another from attending.

    This isn't a resort with "something for everyone" It is a BMW rally, where I believe that the focus should be on the enjoyment of BMW Motorcycles and their care and feeding.

    The rally runs only a few days, lets get to know each other as best we can, not be isolated into splinter groups that pass in the night
    I agree that the rally activities should be inclusive, however speaking as a yong 23 year old rider, I can tell you that it would be nice to find out who some of the younger people are in the 'MOA. Don't get me wrong, I have loads and loads of fun hanging out with everyone at the rally, but it's nice to have some people your own age, who are at the same place in their life as you are to relate to. Think of the seminar/class as another way for people to meet, not as something that is trying to seperate people. It can serve as a way for the 'MOA to get a feel for what it is that the younger riders in the club want to see, and get us a bit more interested in the club as well. Not to sound all ominous or whatever, but we are going to be the ones running the show in 20 30 years, it may be good if we know each other and have some idea as to what's going on.

  13. #43
    Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,799
    I agree with Garth after going last year, I felt a little like a fish out of water. After last year's rally one of the things that became apparent was that the National is not a good idea to be the first rally.

    I look at this thread as a way to make the National a good idea for the attendees first rally. The idea to make it more inclusive.

    -=Brad

    Originally posted by YB in IN
    I agree that the rally activities should be inclusive, however speaking as a yong 23 year old rider, I can tell you that it would be nice to find out who some of the younger people are in the 'MOA. Don't get me wrong, I have loads and loads of fun hanging out with everyone at the rally, but it's nice to have some people your own age, who are at the same place in their life as you are to relate to. Think of the seminar/class as another way for people to meet, not as something that is trying to seperate people. It can serve as a way for the 'MOA to get a feel for what it is that the younger riders in the club want to see, and get us a bit more interested in the club as well. Not to sound all ominous or whatever, but we are going to be the ones running the show in 20 30 years, it may be good if we know each other and have some idea as to what's going on.
    -=Brad

    It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

  14. #44
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    Yeah, but look at all the new friends you've made since last year, Brad.

    After all, don't you really want to know what jgr's real name is? Is Boxergrrlie really as nice as she seems? Does Donky Doc really look like a Donkey? Does Rob really carry 5 pounds of Ritalin around with him?

    All these questions and more will get answered when we finally get the first Forum Gathering going this year at the national.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  15. #45
    looking for a coal mine knary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    5,878
    Originally posted by KBasa
    Yeah, but look at all the new friends you've made since last year, Brad.

    After all, don't you really want to know what jgr's real name is? Is Boxergrrlie really as nice as she seems? Does Donky Doc really look like a Donkey? Does Rob really carry 5 pounds of Ritalin around with him?

    All these questions and more will get answered when we finally get the first Forum Gathering going this year at the national.
    In


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •