Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Geezer Free Zone

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Originally posted by manic mechanic
    Well, the Beer Garden is always a good place to meet. Here's a thought, how about if we can get the Young Guns to volunteer for a shift. They'll meet others of their age bracket, and meet all sorts of other folks at the same time.
    I tried that last year, and while there were some extenuating circumstances, I really did not get to meet anyone. I got to haul a lot of ice and beer and had some fun, but not really anything that made me feel part of "The BMW Family" so to speak.

I realize that is kind of like a wet blanket statement and am still thinking up suggestions.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Originally posted by BradfordBenn
    I tried that last year, and while there were some extenuating circumstances, I really did not get to meet anyone. I got to haul a lot of ice and beer and had some fun, but not really anything that made me feel part of "The BMW Family" so to speak.

I realize that is kind of like a wet blanket statement and am still thinking up suggestions.
    Hey Brad,

Maybe you are a tweener?

Jim

Smile Suggestions

Howdy-

I admit I am kind of on the cusp as I am active on the forum, but I do not have much Rally experience. Heck, I am not even a member of the local club. So my motorcycle socialization is still pretty low.

So I thought, "What dd I expect or want that did not happen at Charleston?"

I came up with a few suggestions:

• It is not about age so much as it is about amount of motorcycle socialization. Perhaps determine "Geezer" Status by years of membership?
    • I would recommend a morning ride to a restaurant or the like. The idea of putting a bunch of people in a bus to me seems like spoiling the purpose of a motorcycle
    • Big Brother/Big Sister program. Relatively simple and probably already taking place quietly. Partner experienced Rally people with less experienced/less confident people. Kind of a walk through the vendor area, a howdy to a few people and some intros.
    • Tips and Tricks Seminar - Just starting out? We recommend that you ÔǪ. What tools? What about hydration? What about ÔǪ the stuff that lots of us learned the hardway.
    • Basic Preventative Maintenance and Inspection Clinic ÔÇô After I ride a few thousand miles across the country, I would really appreciate if I could have someone go over the bike with me and say, hey you may want to check this. When I am on the road, I have found that doing this helpsÔǪ
    • Truly basic tech ÔÇô How to check the oil? How to check tread depth? How to get a full tank of gas on an RT?
    • Sample Tech Sessions - How to use a tire plugger? How to balance valves - heck why balance valves? Some of these should be hands on, others practicality means it can not be. Perhaps some video reinforcement so that people can see the process... then put it up on the web as an archive of knowledge.

Just my suggestions. Might be good, might suck.
    -=Brad

Brad,
    good stuff.
    And, as you point out, *not* neccesarily "youth" stuff. I'm only 32, but have more miles than a fair number of riders twice my age, and far less miles than a number of riders younger than me.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    I still tell my grandkids that I don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

Along the lines of the current discussion: Ben, we met at the beer tent, worked together. Things can happen, we're here now discoursing. Also last year I met a (younger) couple, he'd been to a couple rallies, she was at her first. She expressed a desire to "go shopping" for a few items at the vendors, and asked if I would help out, as opposed to going with her hubby, just to get another point of view. I felt honored to help, with the caveat that we were looking first, then she could go back later with that info and make more informed choices. She could also have asked for info from a lot of other folks, and I did tell her that. As has been discussed in previous threads on the forum, go to the rally with the intention of having a good time, meet people, enjoy each others company. Maybe the first time you won't meet so many. But that is a start. Hey, I don't bite (hard), and I don't thin anybody else in our community does either. But we are all individuals. Check us out, introduce yourself. We learned a new word in school today - sharing. Information is community property.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Originally posted by JimVonBaden
    Is GEEZER the accepted Politically Correct term
    After checking the politically correct dictionary, the proper phrase is "Youth Challenged"
    -=Brad

Originally posted by BradfordBenn
    After checking the politically correct dictionary, the proper phrase is "Youth Challenged"
    Great! Now I can add that to my growing list of challenges! Follicley, vertically, horizontally, optically and mentally!

Hmmm, might be easier to write the list the other way!

Jim

I've been off forum for a few days, so I hope this isn't a dollar short and a day late. I'm one of the "kids" at the ripe old age of 23. The folks my age don't really want to sit in a classroom situation all day. We hang around the "geezers" at every rally that we go to, or we've grown up with bikes. I would go out on a limb to say that many of us have a pretty good idea of whats going on when we fire up our bikes. There are plenty of seminars at national that deal with everything people would have interest in learning more about. I liked the idea that I think Rob had of having a meet and greet with the directors of the board and then having a destination to ride to. Not some namby-pamby mommy and daddy holding our hands thing, let us ride the way we want to. Having a ride to look back on that was "Hey remember when we hit those twisites and had a good time" rather than "Remember when we had a bunch of people riding with us who were there under the pretense that we weren't good enough riders to be on our own" will go a lot farther in fostering an interest in becoming involved with the 'MOA.

Originally posted by YB in IN
    I've been off forum for a few days, so I hope this isn't a dollar short and a day late. I'm one of the "kids" at the ripe old age of 23. The folks my age don't really want to sit in a classroom situation all day. We hang around the "geezers" at every rally that we go to, or we've grown up with bikes. I would go out on a limb to say that many of us have a pretty good idea of whats going on when we fire up our bikes. There are plenty of seminars at national that deal with everything people would have interest in learning more about. I liked the idea that I think Rob had of having a meet and greet with the directors of the board and then having a destination to ride to. Not some namby-pamby mommy and daddy holding our hands thing, let us ride the way we want to. Having a ride to look back on that was "Hey remember when we hit those twisites and had a good time" rather than "Remember when we had a bunch of people riding with us who were there under the pretense that we weren't good enough riders to be on our own" will go a lot farther in fostering an interest in becoming involved with the 'MOA.
    sshhhh....Be nice. Let the old guys think they're better riders.

Lightbulb younger BEEMER RIDERS

Having learned to ride at the age of 46, I have no direct experience in any of this. But, it occurs to me that the folks under say 30 who come to the MOA Rally are "younger BEEMER RIDERS" more than "YOUNGER beemer riders." Get my drift?

Rather than segregating them for a lot of special treatment thought up by geezers, why not just ADD to the existing Rally events, some special chances for them to get together. Seminars and maybe a social event where they feel comfortable might be better than a contrived Sunday school type of atmosphere.

Since its inception, I try hard not to miss the regular Women Who Ride seminars - not because I have some secret desire to understand women (gave up on that decades ago), but because I find their discussions interestingly different and refreshing - and it's a gas listening to women riders interact. Perhaps if we had a seminar on "Twenties Who Ride," we might find a similar quality? I'd sure sit in on that as a listener.

The same is true of the beer tent. I'm too old to withstand most current "music," but it wouldn't bother me a bit if some of my rally fee went into another beer tent with 20s kinda entertainment.

MOA has become so large that it is only wise to consider some of these beneficial specializations for various categories of our members - not only at the rally, but in the magazine and the web site.

Subjects for seminars that come to mind:
    - Primitive motorcycle camping and good, cheap equipment
    - Roughing it touring and camping destinations
    - Best buys in BMW models for Twenties riders
    - Touring by way of hostels
    - Safe rider wear that doesn't cost $900.
    - Weekend riding/hiking destinations
    - How to successfully shop for and buy a used BMW bike

How about providing (not requiring) just an adjacent camping area for Twenties at the Rally?

Throw a cookout one evening for these folks, with beer and a dejay. Let them pick the food and the music.

Ya think there might one good idea above? Do you think you could add to the ideas with maybe ten minutes of thought?

Organizationally, how about trying to find a Twenties rally chairperson to organize some of this - rather having some geezer schoolmarm having to fake it?

The mind boggles...

Jim

Re: younger BEEMER RIDERS

Originally posted by Jim Shaw
    Having learned to ride at the age of 46, I have no direct experience in any of this. But, it occurs to me that the folks under say 30 who come to the MOA Rally are "younger BEEMER RIDERS" more than "YOUNGER beemer riders." Get my drift?...

Subjects for seminars that come to mind:
    - Primitive motorcycle camping and good, cheap equipment
    - Roughing it touring and camping destinations
    - Best buys in BMW models for Twenties riders
    - Touring by way of hostels
    - Safe rider wear that doesn't cost $900.
    - Weekend riding/hiking destinations
    - How to successfully shop for and buy a used BMW bike

Jim
    I am 40 and would be interested in many of those subject since I am new to BMWs and REnew to riding.

Jim

Re: younger BEEMER RIDERS

Originally posted by Jim Shaw

Rather than segregating them for a lot of special treatment thought up by geezers, why not just ADD to the existing Rally events, some special chances for them to get together. Seminars and maybe a social event where they feel comfortable might be better than a contrived Sunday school type of atmosphere.

MOA has become so large that it is only wise to consider some of these beneficial specializations for various categories of our members

How about providing (not requiring) just an adjacent camping area for Twenties at the Rally?

Throw a cookout one evening for these folks, with beer and a dejay. Let them pick the food and the music.

Ya think there might one good idea above? Do you think you could add to the ideas with maybe ten minutes of thought?

Organizationally, how about trying to find a Twenties rally chairperson to organize some of this - rather having some geezer schoolmarm having to fake it?
    Jim,

They are ALL good ideas! Inclusion instead of exclusion is the best idea. Specialized seminars (poverty riding & etc.) and spaces for them to relax in are winners too. We need to find a way to welcome IN young blood to MOA, not to separate them away.

I agree with you that we would need a Twenties-type chairperson to head this up. I know that I would be glad to help out on it but my Twenties went the way of my /5: well run but worn flat out.
    Onward, through the fog!

Hey John,

Do you know about the Gateway Riders in St. Louis? If you want input from Old Geezers, we're a great place to find that! :-) Actually, we do have some younger members, also. Shoot an email back to me if you'd like more information.

Now back to the rally discussion....
    Marilyn Roberts
    F800R, R1150R, R100 Mystic
    Add about 1100 to my post count

tarrenshaw
    This will be my first rally and I'm 25. I'll be bringing my gf who is 19, so the idea of activites oriented towards people in thier 20's sounds like a great idea! Jim Shaw had some excellent suggestions like the seperate tenting area and the seminars about cheap riding gear and camping. See ya there!

Tarren Shaw

Hey Tarren, I keep seeing you on here. When're you gonna register? I promise we won't spam you.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.