Thread: coolant

what would Joan Jett Do? 110066's Avatar

coolant

When replacing the coolant fluid - the clymer manual I bought lists a mixture of 60% distilled and 40% BMW Anti Freeze

Is this antifreeze any different than a branded quality antifreeze that I can get at the autoparts store?

I assume not - but thought I'd check
    bkt

Re: coolant

Originally posted by brian thompson
    When replacing the coolant fluid - the clymer manual I bought lists a mixture of 60% distilled and 40% BMW Anti Freeze

Is this antifreeze any different than a branded quality antifreeze that I can get at the autoparts store?

I assume not - but thought I'd check
    Read your manual. I think BMW recommends "Nitrate and Silicate Free" coolant. Strangely enough, BMW coolant is Nitrate, but not Silicate, free. I used it in all my bikes for a long time with no ill effects. At least so far.
    Last year I found some "Potosin" coolant which is both silicate and nitrate free and I've been using that since.
    I'm no scientist, but I think coolant with nitrates is hard on the alloys, and silicates are hard on water pump seals. IIRC from the multitude of coolant threads I've read over the years, Prestone "LongLife" is Silicate free. (the orange stuff)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]David#476
    "Is this some sort of a senior citizens tour?"