Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 167

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/17/07

  1. #106
    rocketman
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grossjohann View Post
    Yike$! This look$ like a nice len$.

    I was thinking the AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED Lens with VR. It would basically replace my Nikon AF Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8D (which I purchased with the body (D70) before I did any research - damn impulse buy!).
    I picked up the 70-300 VR for the D80, very pleased with it. Here's a sample

    (correction) the first is set at 300

    then from the same position another shot that is tightly cropped, I didn't even see the bugs until I got home and was processing the images, note the second is cropped (shot at the same 300mm setting) so it is more to show the detail you can capture. Both hand held.






    RM
    Last edited by rocketman; 11-20-2007 at 12:27 AM.

  2. #107
    Living in exile Threeteas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    2,859
    I'd like to revisit Triangles as a theme again, in the not too distant future. I think we've all missed a great opportunity. Most, if not all of our pictures have captured triangles as part of our images. It looks (and forgive me if I'm wrong) that the triangle has been the subject and that if we've captured triangles outside of the subject, then it's been accidental. With photographs being oblong, I'm sure that the shapes created outside of the subject could have been far more creatively utilised, and that's why I'd like another pop at this.

    As I said, if the picture you posted does aim to use the edge of the picture as part of a triangle, then I'm sorry I missed it.

  3. #108
    Registered User RINTY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    4,240

    photo assignments

    That new Nikon is bringing you good luck Dave; that's your second magazine cover quality shot in 6 months (the other being your RT star shot).

    But there's also skill involved, right?

    Rinty

  4. #109
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    That new Nikon is bringing you good luck Dave; that's your second magazine cover quality shot in 6 months (the other being your RT star shot).

    But there's also skill involved, right?

    Rinty
    I'm telling you man, I'm just a chimpanzee that gets lucky once in a while. I'm certainly no Bluestune.

    And thank you. The fog was really thick on the road to the top and I was afraid I was going to lose all my light or that the top would be fogged in.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  5. #110
    grossjohann
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    I picked up the 70-300 VR for the D80, very pleased with it. Here's a sample

    (correction) the first is set at 300

    then from the same position another shot that is tightly cropped, I didn't even see the bugs until I got home and was processing the images, note the second is cropped (shot at the same 300mm setting) so it is more to show the detail you can capture. Both hand held.

    RM
    Thanks, RM. I like the idea of going up to 300mm, but I really like the flexibility of 18-200mm (wide-angle to telephoto)...

    "Best Price Cameras.com" http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prod...?prodid=521379 has the 18-200mm for $400 (that's almost $300 off).

    Do you think it's too good to be true?

  6. #111
    rocketman
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    Thank you Tom. I found a dusty CD that came with my camera. It has some strange markings on it which may help. It says M-a-n-u-a-l

    I was so excited when I got it, I never looked at the CD. Now may be the time, since
    I actually understand what some of the photography terms mean now.
    I found the B&W setting purely by accident.

    I have had good luck with my Olympus (photo wise, the first one fell in water).





    EDIT:62 to 400 ISO ooops!
    That's the same basic camera I used for my wheel shot that was (and still is) one of my best. Just goes to show mega pixels don't count but for so much, its the photographer behind the lens that makes the picture more than a mere snapshot.

    RM

  7. #112
    rocketman
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grossjohann View Post
    Thanks, RM. I like the idea of going up to 300mm, but I really like the flexibility of 18-200mm (wide-angle to telephoto)...

    "Best Price Cameras.com" http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prod...?prodid=521379 has the 18-200mm for $400 (that's almost $300 off).

    Do you think it's too good to be true?
    no doubt that having an 18mm lens is nice, I went for the 70-300 cause I have the 18-70 lens so that lower range was already covered. Do some research on the vendor and see what pops up, then if it looks good go for it. I've not had any experience with them so can't say.

    RM

  8. #113
    grossjohann
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    no doubt that having an 18mm lens is nice, I went for the 70-300 cause I have the 18-70 lens so that lower range was already covered. Do some research on the vendor and see what pops up, then if it looks good go for it. I've not had any experience with them so can't say.

    RM
    OK... So I did a quick Google search...

    Expinions.com: "Scam", "Ripped OFF", and "Another Sucker".
    CNet.com: "Scam artists", "Bait and switch"
    ReSellerRatings.com: 0.13 (out of 10!) "STAY AWAY"

    FYI they also do business as (not a complete list):
    Best Stop Camera
    Century 21
    Hello Camera
    Infiniti Cameras
    Infiniti Photo
    Infinity Cameras
    J&K Cameras, Inc.
    Mr. Accessory
    Regency Camera
    Regency Photo & Video, Inc.


    "If it's too good to be true, well..."

  9. #114
    Registered User Rapid_Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    5,689
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    That's the same basic camera I used for my wheel shot that was (and still is) one of my best. Just goes to show mega pixels don't count but for so much, its the photographer behind the lens that makes the picture more than a mere snapshot.

    RM
    That explains why I have so many snapshots.
    My last one was 2Mp w/10x and it fell in a cooler at Lima. The good news was this one was a 4th the price and had 2 million more pixels.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

  10. #115
    SNC1923
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grossjohann View Post
    Thanks, RM. I like the idea of going up to 300mm, but I really like the flexibility of 18-200mm (wide-angle to telephoto)...

    "Best Price Cameras.com" http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prod...?prodid=521379 has the 18-200mm for $400 (that's almost $300 off).

    Do you think it's too good to be true?
    May I chime in?

    B&H, Adorama, and Canoga Camera are all reputable dealers with decades of reputation built up. They sell major equipment darned near dealer cost--and you'll notice that their prices are nearly identical. If someone is selling something substantially below the prices of these major photographic retailers, something fishy is going on. As a former retail and wholesale salesperson in the photographic field, that's my best advice.

    Several of our members have expressed opinions about buying locally and supporting the small retailer. I fully agree that this is a good bet, too.

    On the 18-200 I can only say this: a lens that does everything won't do anything as well as a less all-encompassing lens. I see the appeal of this lens and I can't say anything about its quality--I have no experience with it. You might check out what the folks at dpreview or dgrin have to say.

    Good luck. There's nothing like a new lens (except maybe a new motorcycle) to put a spring in your step!

  11. #116
    rocketman
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    May I chime in?

    B&H, Adorama, and Canoga Camera are all reputable dealers with decades of reputation built up. They sell major equipment darned near dealer cost--and you'll notice that their prices are nearly identical. If someone is selling something substantially below the prices of these major photographic retailers, something fishy is going on. As a former retail and wholesale salesperson in the photographic field, that's my best advice.

    Several of our members have expressed opinions about buying locally and supporting the small retailer. I fully agree that this is a good bet, too.

    On the 18-200 I can only say this: a lens that does everything won't do anything as well as a less all-encompassing lens. I see the appeal of this lens and I can't say anything about its quality--I have no experience with it. You might check out what the folks at dpreview or dgrin have to say.

    Good luck. There's nothing like a new lens (except maybe a new motorcycle) to put a spring in your step!

    I haven't tried the 18-200 but the results I've gotten with the 70-300 VR have been very nice. Note that they are heavier by a good 1/4 or 1/3 becuase of the VR motors and sensors, but mine hasn't noticably effected battery life. Do a hands-on by all means if you can.

    Also with the downturn in the holiday shopping that expected to effect sales, I'm looking for some good deals to show up at local vendors, esp. post holiday.

    RM

  12. #117
    grossjohann
    Guest
    All good points, gents.

    I suppose it will take some time to find the right lens There have been mixed reviews on the 18-200mm (mostly creeping and clarity issues), but all positive for the VR.

    The 35-70mm has served me well, and I really just want wide angle and a telephoto options. I was only dreaming of finding something that would fit in my existing camera bag (sized for one camera with lens attached).

    I think Ill take the D70 down to Ritz and try out a few different options. Ill probably choose between a wide angle and a telephoto. At this point, the 70-200mm VR lens looks like it may work well for me, but Id definitely like to try out the 70-300mm VR. To many choices

    (For the record, the lens is instead of a new motorcycle. Im trying to distract myself from the K1200R Sport Its calling to me from the dark side. )


    Thanks!
    -Alex

  13. #118
    rocketman
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grossjohann View Post
    All good points, gents.

    I suppose it will take some time to find the right lens There have been mixed reviews on the 18-200mm (mostly creeping and clarity issues), but all positive for the VR.

    The 35-70mm has served me well, and I really just want wide angle and a telephoto options. I was only dreaming of finding something that would fit in my existing camera bag (sized for one camera with lens attached).

    I think Ill take the D70 down to Ritz and try out a few different options. Ill probably choose between a wide angle and a telephoto. At this point, the 70-200mm VR lens looks like it may work well for me, but Id definitely like to try out the 70-300mm VR. To many choices

    (For the record, the lens is instead of a new motorcycle. Im trying to distract myself from the K1200R Sport Its calling to me from the dark side. )


    Thanks!
    -Alex

    for what its worth I did some checking on the site my co-worker was raving about, well, it seems they, like the one you were looking at, also got seriously panned in every review I saw, so you're not only one get hoodwinked into an over abundance of exuberance!

    RM

  14. #119
    R12ST bricciphoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Littlestown, Penna.
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by grossjohann View Post
    This is a great example of a "fill flash". Great shot for photography class discussion: what's good, what could be improved upon?



    This is a good example of fill flash. This is very nicely exposed and composed shot. Another technique is to bounce natural light into the subject using a reflector or reflective surface. I'm not suggesting this would improve this particular shot, but it minimizes the opportunity for things like the reflective license plate to "glow" and the light that is bounced (assuming the reflective surface is white or color neutral) is more natural looking. Using reflective surfaces involves more work (often) but you can really put light in some hard to reach places and keep it off areas where you don't want it by using smaller reflectors or masking reflectors (or even additional strobes). I know Tom wasn't setting up a big shot with lots of gear on this one, but there are many options for getting fill light in a shot like this. Also, with reflectors (white, silver or black) you can really craft the position and shapes of highlight and shadow areas. All this is an entirely specialized aspect of shooting that is used in many commercial shots, but amateurs can borrow the technique here and there making subtle, but significant improvements in lighting without a great deal of expense. This is particularly true if you are shooting a semi-formal portrait using typical consumer gear. Wish I had the means/opportunity to demonstrate some of this.

    Since everything in this shot appears to be stationary, it would have been interesting to see if Tom could have dragged the shutter* (using a graduated ND filter on the upper portion of the shot) on this exposure to get some motion blur on the turbine in the background. *Potential exposure issue here balancing the unlit foreground with the full sun background at a slower shutter speed.

    (BTW, all these comments are easy to make post shutter click while looking at someone else's image. These decisions are not obvious while standing behind the viewfinder. This is a GREAT shot as is.)
    Ben Ricci

    Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

  15. #120
    BMW MOA co-founder bmwdean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,000
    Wow!

    I am seeing a lot of great photographic talent among BMW MOA members in these weekend photo threads. Some of the photos from last weekend are just stunning.

    Thanks, Tom, for getting it started and keeping it going.
    Jeff Dean - Tucson, Arizona - BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/r1200rt.htm -- Friend of the Marque
    MSF Chief Instructor (1994) - Over 500,000 BMW miles (805,000 km)
    2007 R1200RT, 2014 R1200RT, R25/3, R51/3, R67/3, R68, R60/2 (x3), R69S, & R100GS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •