Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/17/07

Wow Dave, must have been a lot of traffic on the bridge to kick out that much exhaust smoke. Ok, seriously, being a former resident of the Richmond district I can say I've easily seen a thousand pix of Baghdad by the Bay, this is one of the best. Were you at the rest stop or on that side road to the north that goes out to Bonita point, I think that's what it's called?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    +3 it is almost surreal, more of a painting than a photograph!

What was your vantage point in taking this, and is that the Golden Gate or some other bridge?

RM
    Thanks. This is indeed, the Golden Gate bridge, yesterday afternoon about 4:45 or so. I shot this from Battery Wallace, at the top of the Marin Headlands.

The original exposure was somewhat lighter as fog was rolling over the top of the hill, so I hit it with Smugmug's color correction. I think the rules here are for unprocessed shots, so while I enjoy this one quite a bit, I don't believe it's really an appropriate entry.

Maybe next weekend...
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    Gorgeous interpretation, Dave. I crawl humbly in your shadow. . . .

Thanks. If I'd made it up to where I shot this a bit sooner, the bridge tower would have been much brighter. I think that would have really brought this shot to another level. In this picture, it looks almost reddish, but the tower is International Orange and should stand out much more than it does.

I'm like a chimpanzee with a camera, for the most part. I just keep pushing the button and once in a while something interesting falls out of it.

Here's another one, where the color correction was less subtle. It's way too orange/red to my taste and it looks like I need to clean my camera. Check the spots in the lower right corner and center right.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    . . . it looks like I need to clean my camera. Check the spots in the lower right corner and center right.
    I like the orange one, too.

I'm getting those same goobers on mine. I used to be able to just blow those out in a sensor cleaning, but I'm now thinking I may actually have to go in with tools, which makes me nervous. . . .

I'll have to consult with dgrin on this.

Quote Originally Posted by grossjohann View Post
    This is a great site. Lots (365) portrait ideas... I really like some of the wide-angle shots. A new lens just made it to my Christmas list!
    Pray tell, which one?

I'm lookin' real hard at one of these:

I've got a sale pending on my 75-300, so it's beginning to look like a done deal.

@ the Big Muddy & I-80 bluestune's Avatar

Thumbs up 70-200mm 2.8

Tom, I use a Canon 70-200mm 2.8 quite a bit, it's one of the sharpest lenses Canon makes (IMHO,) the IS works great and the fast 2.8 lens really lets you throw the background out of focus. It's not cheap, but, it is one of the most useable lenses you can get. PM me if you have any questions re this lens.

By the way, great commentary!
    1976 R90/6

Fof Rally Bast'd at Large rocketman's Avatar
    I like the orange one, too.

I'm getting those same goobers on mine. I used to be able to just blow those out in a sensor cleaning, but I'm now thinking I may actually have to go in with tools, which makes me nervous. . . .

I'll have to consult with dgrin on this.
    i just cleaned mine. No biggy really. After reading up on it got the sensor brush and woosh all gone. The clincher for me was reading that the filter in front of the sensor is rated at a hardness level of 5 on a scale of 0 to 10 with 0 being talcum powder and 10 being diamond. So the risk of scratching it is really low with the proper brush. It seemed to be more a matter of not just moving the dust around but removing it by "charging" the brush prior to sweeping and always cleaning and recharging it on very pass. Worked well, though I did need to go at it twice since I didn't quite get it on the first pass.

RM
    "A man isn't totally drunk if he can lie on the floor without hanging on!" Joe Louis; comedian
    "I'll make a deal with you, I won't bore with my Science if you don't bore me with your Politics!" Lionel Barrymore from the 1929 film "The Mysterious Island"

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    This is gorgeous too! Stunning, really. (Rules? Bah!)

You wouldn't happen to know the aperture of this exposure off hand? I always understood (not saying it's true) that dust isn't apparent below f/5.6. Smaller apertures (8/11/16/22/32) supposedly show dust. I'm just curious. Thanks.
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Quote Originally Posted by bluestune View Post
    Tom, I use a Canon 70-200mm 2.8 quite a bit, it's one of the sharpest lenses Canon makes (IMHO,)...
    I had one and I would concur it is a very fast and very sharp lens. A workhorse among PJs.
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Pray tell, which one?

I'm lookin' real hard at one of these:

I've got a sale pending on my 75-300, so it's beginning to look like a done deal.

Yike$! This look$ like a nice len$.

I was thinking the AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED Lens with VR. It would basically replace my Nikon AF Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8D (which I purchased with the body (D70) before I did any research - damn impulse buy!).
    Last edited by grossjohann; 11-19-2007 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Added camera body model number
    Alex Grossjohann
    2004 R1150RSA
    2008 328xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by bricciphoto View Post
    This is gorgeous too! Stunning, really. (Rules? Bah!)

You wouldn't happen to know the aperture of this exposure off hand? I always understood (not saying it's true) that dust isn't apparent below f/5.6. Smaller apertures (8/11/16/22/32) supposedly show dust. I'm just curious. Thanks.
    1/160 at f10.

Had the zoom set to about 70mm.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    [SNIP]After reading up on it got the sensor brush and woosh all gone.[/SNIP]
    What is this "sensor brush" of which you speak? Linky?

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    Nope. It is an Olympus digital camera.
    I didn't mess with ISO at all (I didn't even think of it)
    Give it a whirl. It would go a long way towards solving your motion blur. Every step in the ISO range buys you one aperature setting or shutter speed.

ISO shutter speed aperature

• 100 1/15 f/2.8
    • 200 1/30 f/2.8
    • 400 1/60 f/2.8
    • 800 1/125 f/2.8
    • 1600 1/250 f/2.8

or

• 100 1/15 f/2.8
    • 200 1/15 f/4.0
    • 400 1/15 f/5.6
    • 800 1/15 f/8.0
    • 1600 1/15 f/11

Of course, the down side is that the higher the ISO, the noisier the image. This is most noticeable in P&S cameras, less noticeable in crop sensor cameras (i.e. Canon Rebel) and even less noticeable still in full-frame cameras (i.e. Canon 5D). I'm still amazed by the ability to randomly change the ISO settings. In the film days, you set your ASA to the film's rating and left it there.

The camera you're using looks like a good one. Don't forget to or be afraid of playing with the settings, especially given that you can monitor the results straight away.
    Last edited by SNC1923; 11-19-2007 at 09:41 PM. Reason: I don't have any idea how to set up a table on this program

Thank you Tom. I found a dusty CD that came with my camera. It has some strange markings on it which may help. It says M-a-n-u-a-l

I was so excited when I got it, I never looked at the CD. Now may be the time, since
    I actually understand what some of the photography terms mean now.
    I found the B&W setting purely by accident.

I have had good luck with my Olympus (photo wise, the first one fell in water).

The Olympus C-765 Ultra Zoom is the latest in an ongoing line of long-zoom digicams from Olympus. While the long-zoom market is getting more crowded these days, Olympus really pioneered it with their excellent C-2100, and still retains a commanding position with their latest C-765 and C-770 models. The Olympus C-765 UltraZoom sports a four megapixel CCD and a full 10x zoom lens, a new TruePic Turbo processor and a larger LCD, along with a range of features tailored to "enthusiast" users looking for full exposure control and compatibility with external flash units.
    EDIT:62 to 400 ISO ooops!
    Last edited by Rapid_Roy; 11-19-2007 at 09:52 PM. Reason: edit
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Fof Rally Bast'd at Large rocketman's Avatar
    What is this "sensor brush" of which you speak? Linky?

From CopperHill

linky Sensor Sweepe

Note the comment on the Canon SLR's

RM
    "A man isn't totally drunk if he can lie on the floor without hanging on!" Joe Louis; comedian
    "I'll make a deal with you, I won't bore with my Science if you don't bore me with your Politics!" Lionel Barrymore from the 1929 film "The Mysterious Island"