Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/17/07

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    +1
    No matter how Kbasa downplayed it, you could never get a monkey to stand still long enough to get a shot like that, even for a banana.
    Nicely done.
    Virtual shots of Patron/Don Julio for all!
    Two six inch nails would do the job though!
    Just thinking out loud. I like monkeys, I really do.

Do you know how to tell the difference between old world and new world monkeys?

Quote Originally Posted by lamble View Post
    Two six inch nails would do the job though!
    Just thinking out loud. I like monkeys, I really do.

Do you know how to tell the difference between old world and new world monkeys?
    The accent?
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    +1
    No matter how Kbasa downplayed it, you could never get a monkey to stand still long enough to get a shot like that, even for a banana.
    Nicely done.
    Virtual shots of Patron/Don Julio for all!
    maybe not one, but a whole bunch might, .........................eventually... you know sorta like the monkey with keyboards thing..

years ago (early 60's) on the Today Show with Dave Garoway (sp ?) he decided to find out if a "barrel of monkeys" was as much fun as touted, so one day he had a barrel full brought on-stage, and well,............ it WAS quite fun! Remeber back in those days "live" was really live! They were all over the in-house attendees in no time. Quite a lively morning! Ha Ha!

RM

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    The accent?
    Well that and the passport of course. It's actually the direction their tail's point.

It's 50/50 but I think, old world tails point to the head, new world point away.
    Also the position of the thumbs can tell you where they live in the canopy heirachy.

A limur, is one of the oldest arborial mamals and is related to the cat family, although it barks like a dog. I don't think it's a monkey descendent at all, coming from a completely different species line.

Again, every day I live, the further back I have to cast the memory net to come up with this bunkum, so if it's wrong, so be it.

rocketman
    Well that and the passport of course. It's actually the direction their tail's point.

It's 50/50 but I think, old world tails point to the head, new world point away.
    Also the position of the thumbs can tell you where they live in the canopy heirachy.

A limur, is one of the oldest arborial mamals and is related to the cat family, although it barks like a dog. I don't think it's a monkey descendent at all, coming from a completely different species line.

Again, every day I live, the further back I have to cast the memory net to come up with this bunkum, so if it's wrong, so be it.
    Looks like a monkey, decended from cats and barks like a dog? Boy And here I thought I was confused!

RM

photo assignment

...how do you tell the difference between old world and new world monkeys....Iamble
    New world monkeys have prehensile tails. (From the great collection of trivia stored away in my head.)

Rinty

I'm on a new world? What happened to the old one?
    Was it cleared by the Vogon Construction Fleet?
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    New world monkeys have prehensile tails. (From the great collection of trivia stored away in my head.)

Rinty
    New and old have prehensile tails, it's the direction they bend that makes the difference, or so I thought.

Roy, I've no idea which way a Vogon's tail bends, if at all.

I do have some monkey shots, if that will help get back on thread!

SNC1923

Feedback III

Franze is back with three submissions this week, each of which is a very successful image. Number one is close enough and shot at such an angle that it's impossible for me to know what it is. This is perfect for drawing attention to the form without distracting me with other--unnecessary--information. It's simple and unusual. I like it.

Number two is noteworthy for all its triangles. It's also appealing, but for it's composition. This could have been shot at least 359 other ways, and I agree with his decision. It's a stark, geometric study.

Number three is a successful and thought-provoking reflection. Very nice. It's simple, but like the other two, it shows an eye for detail and forethought.

Paulbach brings us another motorcycle image. I'm not sure why, but this one makes me think of a love triangle, two men and their mutual mistress. It's a beautiful bike and these two are clearly admiring it. The color of the bike is really rich, but the overall exposure is a bit blown-out (see man #2's hat). I wonder was this shot on manual or did you meter for the bike? Just wondering. As you, yourself, said, just a casual snapshot. Pretty good one, though.

Here it is, this week's big kahuna. Quite a bit of insightful commentary has already been offered on this image from RM and others, and much deserved congratulations on capturing such beauty. I bears worth repeating that this photo, in addition to reflecting a talented photographer, shows the merit if having your camera with you, the gift of timing, and the importance of vantage point. You need to have a good camera and be a good photographer, but it sure helps to be in the right place at the right time. Having had a chance to study both, I do like the original over the orange one; however, the orange shot has a more interesting composition, at least to my eye.

To nitpick, there are dust-bunnies revealed in the LRHC. You and I both need to clean our sensors. I'm also a tad concerned about the vignetting in the LLHC--on both shots. I'm wondering, given the chance, if you would--or even could--compose it differently, raising or lowering the city horizon line? Any minor technical imperfections are greatly overshadowed by this image's breathtaking drama. Wonderful shot.

Nice to see Mar here this week with a triangular submission. Hi Marilyn! This image does indeed have a number of triangles. And I realize this is probably the most informal of snapshots, but this attractive young woman deserves a better portrait. The harsh shadows on her face (which serve this assignment perfectly) are exactly why many photographers prefer to shoot on cloudy days or in open shadows. Bricciphoto wrote a nice piece this week about using a reflector; this would be a perfect instance for just that. I do like how she is photographed. Although perhaps not the most flattering angle, she can handle it and it makes for an interesting character study.

Boney came back with one more! This is a great interpretation of the theme and another game of "where are the triangles"? Once again, almost too numerous to count. It's an interesting geometric study of a familiar scene shot in an unusual way. Well-composed, too. In many of this week's pictures I mention muted colors or underexposure. This is a perfect example of a right-on exposure and bright, vivid colors. Beautiful!

Barring any 11th hour submissions (paging BeerTeam to the front desk. . . .) that's all we've got. I had a lot of fun this week. I didn't know how triangles would go over--I never know how a theme will succeed. The silence at the beginning was deafening, but as in every week past, the photographers rise to the challenge and provide invigorating, interesting, instructive, and insightful images. Each week is successful because each of you takes out your camera to expose yourselves (triple entendre intended) for our benefit, and I thank each of your for that.

For next week (that's tomorrow) we have a special Thanksgiving Photo Assignment and you can find it here.

Good grief! I look at this triangle several times a day, and I never thought of it as a "triangle." I am an idiot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    Good grief! I look at this triangle several times a day, and I never thought of it as a "triangle." I am an idiot.
    Sweet! I'm hoping to pick up an R50/2 this spring from a friends wife, Its been sitting since he passed away several years ago and is just dieing to be ridden. I'm really "geared" up for it! There is just something so appealing about the /2's with the earls front forks.....

RM

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Sweet! I'm hoping to pick up an R50/2 this spring from a friends wife, Its been sitting since he passed away several years ago and is just dieing to be ridden. I'm really "geared" up for it! There is just something so appealing about the /2's with the earls front forks.....

RM
    Not only appealing, obsessive!

http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/slash2.htm
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    That's a bit harsh.

It's a beautiful shot of a beautiful bike. This composition is exactly what I was talking about with Roy. Could be done a thousand ways, of course, but this is a good one. Amazing what bright sunny outdoor light can do for a photo, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post

RM
    There's something morbidly humourous in that sentence. No offence towards a passed friend, I just found the choice of phrase an eye-catching detail. A verbal earls front forks if you will.

Here's a Brit/US question...I'd use dying, so is your's the US way or a typo?

There's something morbidly humourous in that sentence. No offence towards a passed friend, I just found the choice of phrase an eye-catching detail. A verbal earls front forks if you will.

Here's a Brit/US question...I'd use dying, so is your's the US way or a typo?
    typo.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.