Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of starting a riders group in Chicago 'burbs

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Thinking of starting a riders group in Chicago 'burbs

Apologies if this has been done before but I could not find what I was looking for and I want to test the waters for interest.

There are three things that I look for when I am looking at motorcycle tours: Friends, Support, and Expertise. Isnt that why we pay for tours but that is not what tour operators advertise  they advertise the experience first and all else second. See Copper Canyon  yada yada  and the friendly and experienced guides yada yada"

So  I was thinking that I am satisfying what I want out of travel as an indirect result of paying the premium of an organized tour. I suspect others do the same. All we want is to go out and ride off the beaten path swap stories  have a few drinks  and have someone call 911 if we break a leg

LetÔÇÖs form a group for the express purpose of getting out there and supporting each other on a motorcycle without paying that premium. Here is my proposal:
    ÔÇó LetÔÇÖs get together for an extended trip once year ÔÇô about 5 days or so
    ÔÇó Optionally, overseas trip proposal - once every year ÔÇô go/no-go depending on interest, e.g. ring tour of Iceland for two weeks
    ÔÇó Plus, twice a year ÔÇô long weekend trips somewhere agreeable to most

ThatÔÇÖs it. We all are busy people and itÔÇÖs tough to find time to ride but if we agree to just a few ground rules ÔÇô weÔÇÖll be on our way:
    ÔÇó We pay our own way
    ÔÇó Simple majority wins
    ÔÇó We try to make the trips
    ÔÇó We take care of each other on the road

We all have a common purpose that will satisfy our individual goals. In this way, weÔÇÖll be getting exactly what we want out of trip: Travel is better with friends; there is someone to help or call for help when things go wrong. What we are missing is the local and practical expertise that an experienced tour operator can provide but with all things being equal, I would prefer to learn with friends rather than from a tour company.

I'll sponsor the website and serve as an administrator. All are welcome regardless of location or bike.

~ curt

Quote Originally Posted by uncutshirt View Post
    e.g. ring tour of Iceland for two weeks.
    Planned, but that is something I'd want to do solo. The experience of going solo vs in a group is totally different, and for me, far more satisfying.

BTW, the ring road (paved) tour would be boring as all the interesting roads and sights are inland as well, but gravel. When I go, it'll be for four weeks. Its an out of the way place to go to not see it all.

Quote Originally Posted by uncutshirt View Post
    What we are missing is the local and practical expertise that an experienced tour operator can provide but with all things being equal, I would prefer to learn with friends rather than from a tour company.
    All you need is some very good maps and a good imagination. Then do some digging on the internet. Having it all laid out by an over-priced tour company takes all the fun and adventure out of the tour.

Weekend Ride - Take 2 September 5-7

As another riding season draws to a close - probably with Martin in the lead for miles ridden since January - I only have 7000 under my belt this season... This was in ON. Sounds like fun and it's a beautiful ride thru the Kettle Moraine region to get there!

Anyone from the Chicago Riders interested in going? (If you don't you'll be looking back in January regretting that you didn't say yes.....)

WI September 5 - 7, 2008
    38th Annual Wisconsin Dells Rally
    Wisconsin BMW Motorcycle Club #10
    Join us for a weekend of fun in scenic Wisconsin Dells at Chula Vista Resort. ThereÔÇÖs great sightseeing (www.wisdells.com) while exploring some of the best motorcycle roads in Wisconsin. Included with your rally fee is FREE entrance to the indoor and outdoor water parks with 26 waterslides, Friday night soup, 2 nights live music, organized rides, door prizes, seminars, tech sessions, vendors, non-motorized field events and round the clock free coffee/tea/soda. Our Saturday night indoor sit down dinner is also included. Lots of camping space, wooded and grassy: now reseeded for 2008! If camping isnÔÇÖt your style, book your on-site first class hotel accommodations or condos directly with Chula Vista (800) 388-4782 (www.chulavistaresort.com). Mention the Dells Rally to receive special rates. GPS: N 43 39.761 W 089 46.970. Adult pre-registration is $35.00 (form on our website); $45.00 at the gate. Children pre-registration 6-15 is $24.00; $28.00 at the gate. Electric with fee for a very limited number of RVÔÇÖs. This is a great family rally. Rally pin and mug to the first 800. Info at: www.wiscbmwclub.com or call Bob (414) 321-3212.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer01 View Post
    As another riding season draws to a close - probably with Martin in the lead for miles ridden since January - I only have 7000 under my belt this season... This was in ON. Sounds like fun and it's a beautiful ride thru the Kettle Moraine region to get there!

Anyone from the Chicago Riders interested in going? (If you don't you'll be looking back in January regretting that you didn't say yes.....)
    Hey Brian,
    Heck yeah I'm going. Got the room reservation and sent in my form w/check a few weeks ago. Last year was a blast. Let me know how your schedule looks. There is a remote chance my boss might drop a "let's go to Boston" business trip on me last minute but it's like I said, remote.

Great -

Hows about the rest of the crew? (Winter is coming........)

ghostridery2k
    ```````````````
    Last edited by ghostridery2k; 09-30-2008 at 10:53 PM.

lonelobo

Culinary Help for Outsider

Dear Brethren in Chicago,
    I will be a pilgrim to your shores next Sunday and Monday but have only been to your fair city a few times previously. I need to know a gooood place to eat and imbibe in Barley Therapy. We will be staying downtown for a convention. Please advise...

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by lonelobo View Post
    I will be a pilgrim to your shores next Sunday and Monday but have only been to your fair city a few times previously. I need to know a gooood place to eat and imbibe in Barley Therapy. We will be staying downtown for a convention. Please advise...

Rosebud and Morton's are good high end steakhouses with a lively crowd. Check out www.metromix.com.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelobo View Post
    At what hotel will you be staying? Depending on your locale I can check it out and give you some possibles . . .

lonelobo

Home away from home

Hyatt Regency, McCormick Place...don't have a clue where this is. Sunday night may be our only free time as we are working Monday and leaving 6pm Monday.

The good news is that you're in a wonderful new Hotel, the bad news is that it's a short cab ride from anyplace I'd actually recommend.

Now that we've established the cab ride - what kind of food do you like?

My esteemed associates are correct - the Rush Street area is hopping, even on a Sunday night and if steak is what you want, Gibsons (in the Rush Street area) rocks as does Sullivans.

Texas is hard to beat for Steak and Tex-Mex, however, you might want to try something different?

Rosebud (Rush Street) is good Italian - but it's big restaurant Italian as opposed to the real thing.

Talk to us - what are you looking for?

lonelobo

Need Chicago Specific Food

I'm a foodie in addition to the BMW addiction. Good cheap food is appreciated as well as good expensive food. I would think that Chicago would have some killer ethnic restaurants...no chains. When I need a steak I just reach out my window and slice a piece off the nearest steer, so unless it's world renowned steak I would pass. Really great Italian/Polish/German/Russian/Bosco/etc. is a shoe in. My traveling companion is just a lad but relatively adventurous. Also, I need to know a great Dog stand. I've been to the famous deep dish pizza place, a famous but poorly executed rib place on the south side, a great diner downtown that does a mean Reuben and a great dog stand close to a college. Don't remember any of the names but don't want to go back to any of them (except the dog stand)so I guess that doesn't matter.

Chicago area BMW dealer

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this request for help but I though this was a Chicago based thread so I'd try here.

I'm looking at a bike at South Suburban Suzuki BMW in Chicago Heights. Has anyone ever had any dealings with this dealer? Are they honest enough to buy a bike through the Internet without actually having seen the bike in person? Also, does anyone have any experience in actually purchasing one this way. I'm a bit apprehensive about sending a check to someone that I don't know anything about. How can I protect myself?

Thanks

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND..
    Show us a link to the dealer/bike. Maybe some member or friend of one can check it out for you.
    Last edited by OU812; 10-31-2008 at 11:46 AM.

Fear is the Mind Killer modarin9's Avatar

Interested in Joining

Great idea forming this group. Been looking for others with similar interests. let me know!