Thread: Carmel Road Trip

SNC1923

Carmel Road Trip

Iz and I have been working like dogs for the past 10 weeks and really needed a getaway. Lack of funds, foreboding weather, unannounced visitors, and minor health issues couldn't stop us. Saturday morning we were up and packed and headed to Carmel for the holiday weekend.

Our first stop was Santa Margarita and the Porch Cafe on Hwy 58. We had a respectable breakfast burrito there, sufficient sustinance to get us the rest of the way there.

This was my first attempt to use the multi-functional bag liners strapped to the side cases. They worked great. We like to pack a lot, so plenty of room for sweats, windbreakers, tennis shoes, etc. The raised the CoG a bit, but nothing too serious.

This was also Iz's first trip after installing the backrest on the top case. Not as cushy as the RT's but she did report that it was much more comfortable than without.

Here's Iz hugging the GSA during a rest stop by the Big Creek Bridge on Hwy 1. Her posture would indicate that the back pad is working.

Found this lonely F650 in some of Carmel's dedicated motorcycle parking. Nice.

There were hundreds of people at Carmel Beach on Sunday, but I managed to get this shot with no one in it. Believe me, they were there.

Random Carmel beauty. If you go in for the "charming European village" sort of thing, Carmel is your place. Getting expensive, though. We go about every 9 months or so, and it's noticeably higher every time we go.

This was our first visit to San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission, a fascinating historical structure.

Among other things, it is the final resting place of Fray Junipero Serra.

Views from the San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission

I don't know if it's because I was raised in the Catholic Church or because as a Californian 4th grader I studied the missions, but I found this site fascinating and would recommend it as a worthwhile stop for anyone interested in church or California history.

Took a cruise through some Monterey neighborhoods on Monday morning before heading back home.

The trip to Carmel is worth it, if for no other reason than you can ride Hwy 1 to get there and take this road, Carmel Valley Road, to get home. Miles and miles of tree-lined canopy and twists and turns aplenty. Fun, fun, fun.

Inspired by San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission, while cruising down the 101, I checked "attractions" on the Zumo and found I was right by Mission San Miguel. Here's Iz posing during a all-too-brief rest stop.

No sooner than it began, it was over. Not enough time to plan or to enjoy, we had a pretty good time nonetheless. It's back to work but we can now see the light at the end of the tunnel and our school years will soon be a memory.

Thanks for looking. What few photos remain can be seen here.
    Last edited by SNC1923; 11-13-2007 at 11:41 PM. Reason: insatiable pursuit of perfection

franze
    very nice, no surprise that the photography is exceptional. You're right about the old Euro feel/look to those missions. The big Players always get buried INSIDE the church.

Looks like typical beautiful CA weather and a nice winter swell. It's snowing here......

darcym
    nice report and great pics!

I love that part of the state. And yes, I think every school kid in California has heard the story of the missions and took a field trip or two to visit them. I still get a kick out of seeing them, too.

I absolutely love Carmel. When we go down there for MotoGP, we always stay in Carmel Valley, though I've stayed downtown as well as at the Highland Lodge, a bit further south on 1.

The Chop House is probably my favorite place to eat. We've never had a bad meal there.

Nice photos. For those unfamiliar with California, the mission photos and the whole mission story can be a surprise. Right about the time the Revolutionary War was being fought back east, the Catholic church was settling California.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    The Chop House is probably my favorite place to eat. We've never had a bad meal there.
    Not Kurt's? Ate there Saturday night and had the worst steakhouse meal I'd ever had. I'm willing to suppose that it wasn't typical, but my filet was overcooked by double and Iz's was like rubber.

Gopheride
    On a cool windy day here in the NE,your pics bring delight.

@ the Big Muddy & I-80 bluestune's Avatar

Thumbs up

Thanks for taking us along!
    1976 R90/6

That was great!! Loved the photos! Nice set up on your GSA.

You've inspired me to buy about five acres of beach front property in Carmel and settle there.

If you have to ask.............

Quote Originally Posted by RTRandy View Post
    You've inspired me to buy about five acres of beach front property in Carmel and settle there.
    as the old saying goes...........you can't afford it.

Beautiful area. nice report.

Thanks for sharing

Great stuff, Tom!

Haven't been to Carmel in about 15 years, but it's beauty is hard to forget and you captured some of it perfectly.

Thanks!

SNC1923
    Thanks, all. I DO enjoy sharing photos, especially to such an appreciative audience.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Sweeeeeeeet!
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Very nice. Beautiful pics!
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Great photos! I've got friends who travel to Europe for shots like some of those. Sounds like a nice trip. It's always fun when it's a little bit too short and you can start thinking about what you'll do the next time. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
    Dan