Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/10/07

Veteran's Day Ride and Observance

Here are two photos taken at a Veteran's Day Ride that a friend of mine organzies every year. It is open to all bikes but it ends up being mostly HD. We visited the Veteran's Home in Cameron MO. Sorry to break the rules but I am posting two here because of the content. In the first we enter and are greeted by many veterans glad to see us. About 150 bikes by the way.

In this I saw this Gentleman sort of wistfully looking at the Flag. He turned to talk to someone off camera as I shot it.

Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by MLS2GO View Post
    Yes the pride of Milwaukee and the Black Forest can live together in harmony. Here they are nuzzled up against one another in my driveway. In the garage they are well behaved and I hardly ever have to seperate them! Although the Ultra is a little jealous of the electric windshield, and the RT of the HD's Chrome. Sibling rivalry, what are you going to do?

I had thought of that very theme as there is both a cruiser (Jeanne being the resident "biker babe" ) and 2 BMW's (one co-owned, and one mine, though I pilot both with Jeanne as an occational passenger) living in my garage. they seem to get along very well together and enjoy each others company on the road.

Nice shot and very fitting.

RM

Harmony
    Lakeside Park
    Fond Du Lac, WI

Hit F11 for Full Screen

The Bandshell located at Fond Du Lac's Lakeside Park, was featured on the cover of a 1940's Saturday Evening Post

Quote Originally Posted by grossjohann View Post
    Awesome shot--can't say much more than that. Very nice work. Another super week (so far).
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

grossjohann
    Quote Originally Posted by bricciphoto View Post
    Awesome shot--can't say much more than that. Very nice work. Another super week (so far).
    Thanks, Ben!

I liked your BW compositions this week. Did you remove the color at the camera, when you cropped them, or are you shooting with film?

-Alex

Thanks, Ben!

I liked your BW compositions this week. Did you remove the color at the camera, when you cropped them, or are you shooting with film?

-Alex
    Alex, thanks. I shot those with a Canon G7 set to BW in the effects menu. I have a G9 and G7, and although it's super easy to make a change in menu setting, I keep the G7 on BW and the G9 color. It's too easy to see the world only in color, when some subjects just beg for a monochromatic treatment. This way I don't forget to shoot B&W as well as color (a complicated solution, I know ).
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

grossjohann
    Alex, thanks. I shot those with a Canon G7 set to BW in the effects menu. I have a G9 and G7, and although it's super easy to make a change in menu setting, I keep the G7 on BW and the G9 color. It's too easy to see the world only in color, when some subjects just beg for a monochromatic treatment. This way I don't forget to shoot B&W as well as color (a complicated solution, I know ).
    Youre right. I do think in B&W sometimes, but not as much as I did when I also used my fathers old Exakta. Thats real photography; no autofocus, no light meter, and I would borrow time in the darkroom from a good friend of mine at school

We were actually talking about it at dinner last night. My daughter (10) had no concept of film photography  shes only known digital

Maybe IÔÇÖll clean the old guy up and take him out for a run some weekend. (the camera, not my father)

rocketman
    Youre right. I do think in B&W sometimes, but not as much as I did when I also used my fathers old Exakta. Thats real photography; no autofocus, no light meter, and I would borrow time in the darkroom from a good friend of mine at school

We were actually talking about it at dinner last night. My daughter (10) had no concept of film photography  shes only known digital

Maybe IÔÇÖll clean the old guy up and take him out for a run some weekend. (the camera, not my father)

Hey I remember those, my dad had one too, got it waaaaaay back, when we were living in Germany, its that one of (if not the first) SLR's (?) The one I got from my dad no longer works but considering where it has traveled over the years I quess its not too surprising. I remember him taking tons of photos with it, lost of sides, many of which my Sister and I still have. Once I got into photography as a youngster I sort of took it over. (I think my Dad was happy to be relieved of the task on having to "Take a picture of that, Oh and that Too, and that over there!" at my Mom's instistance!) Lots of good memories surrounding that old camera....

RM

grossjohann
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Hey I remember those, my dad had one too, got it waaaaaay back, when we were living in Germany, its that one of (if not the first) SLR's (?) The one I got from my dad no longer works but considering where it has traveled over the years I quess its not too surprising. I remember him taking tons of photos with it, lost of sides, many of which my Sister and I still have. Once I got into photography as a youngster I sort of took it over. (I think my Dad was happy to be relieved of the task on having to "Take a picture of that, Oh and that Too, and that over there!" at my Mom's instistance!) Lots of good memories surrounding that old camera....

RM
    ThatÔÇÖs funny. My father (who emigrated from Germany to the US in 1968) got the camera 55 years ago as a confirmation gift. I inherited it from him about 15 years ago, and have several pictures of me as a kid which he had taken with this camera. It still works, but needs a good cleaning.

Here's one from just over 30 years ago (not taken with the Exakta - it's in my hands):

Deming, New Mexico
    The Veteran's Day Gathering

Harmony is all you see when you consider the big picture.
    Harley, Beemer, Beemer, Yamaha, Yamaha disappears . . .

Voni
    sMiling
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Deming, New Mexico
    The Veteran's Day Gathering

Harmony is all you see when you consider the big picture.
    Harley, Beemer, Beemer, Yamaha, Yamaha disappears.

Voni
    sMiling
    Now that looks like a postcard! Great composition. Love the placement of the green and red bikes, not to mention the harmonious blend of brands. Good eye Vonnie: (1) for seeing the photograph, and (2), for capturing it in an interesting and aesthetically pleasing (very symmetric) composition. Good exposure, too.

Each week the submissions are getting better and better--more variety and lots, and lots of interesting interpretations. And because the bar has been raised so high, I think we're collectively (and indirectly) making Tom's critiques (by necessity) less involved? Good job everyone!
    Ben Ricci

Each week the submissions are getting better and better--more variety and lots, and lots of interesting interpretations. And because the bar has been raised so high, I think we're collectively (and indirectly) making Tom's critiques (by necessity) less involved? Good job everyone!
    Thank you.

I so appreciate this thread because of the very things you mentioned.

Every week I "see" more clearly what people like Beer Team have perfected.
    And the discussions help me to see behind the curtain of mystery.

Sharing like this is great!

Thank you all.

Voni

sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

rocketman

At the risk of being a "Post Whore"....

I gotta enter one more.....from my weekend ride and Unmetered Harmony ride report...
    I think it is probably the one that I would enter if I had limit my entries to single shot

I spent about 20 minutes wandering up and down the road from where I shot this looking for just the right spot to get the roof line, road and fence line to all converge on a single point leading into the background AND getting the horse alined with the road and centered. I was hoping the truck would pull away but no such luck...

RM

Harmony

Balanced view point