Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/10/07

Harmony

Same but different. I prefer this one, although I'm not sure why as I think it's technically inferior both in lighting and composition...so I'm confused why I prefer it.

There are numerous levels to this picture. The balance that's needed to achieve harmony is a comment on the recent forum activities. There's the metaphor of "lead" being used to gain harmony. There's what goes around, comes around.
    A whole bunch of "stuff" going on. It's why it took me until this morning to come up with the way I wanted to treat the theme of harmony.

I think it would be even better in black and white...another harmonious element?

So hopefully, while the field of focus is shallow, the messages are far deeper.

Of course, it could just be my front wheel!

numbers down?

I've usually set aside some time on Monday to look at people submissions, and there have been some stunners. But from the numbers this week, at this time, it would appear harmony is far harder to find.

Are there more images just waiting to be posted?

And I noticed that having changed the source image, without copying it first, the posted image is black and white for both...sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by lamble View Post
    Same but different. I prefer this one, although I'm not sure why as I think it's technically inferior both in lighting and composition...so I'm confused why I prefer it.

So hopefully, while the field of focus is shallow, the messages are far deeper.

Of course, it could just be my front wheel!
    Interesting shot. I prefer it as well. It's a perfect example of why technically correct isn't always a priority. It's a great composition and the focal point is the lead weight and despite how disordered it may seem, it's awfully difficult to look at this image and not have your eyes drawn straight to the weight. It's very abstract, yet technical. The weight is a symbol of balance--an element necessary for harmony. I think you've rather artistically stepped out of the box.
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

packaged

Quote Originally Posted by bricciphoto View Post
    Interesting shot. I prefer it as well. It's a perfect example of why technically correct isn't always a priority. It's a great composition and the focal point is the lead weight and despite how disordered it may seem, it's awfully difficult to look at this image and not have your eyes drawn straight to the weight. It's very abstract, yet technical. The weight is a symbol of balance--an element necessary for harmony. I think you've rather artistically stepped out of the box.
    How did you know I'm kept in a box all week and only let out at weekends?

You may have hit on why I prefer it too. It's less 'obvious' than the colour image, which 'gives it all away' immediately. Yep that's probably it. Now back in the box.

Boxer and Bails

If you look carefully they all move together in perfect sync.

10:37am 11/10/2007 Rural upstate SC somewhere between Clinton and Spartanburg SC.
    Last edited by dogeye; 11-13-2007 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Add location an time
    Howard
    2005 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by dogeye View Post
    If you look carefully they all move together in perfect sync.

Wow. That's really, really pretty. Perfect placement of the bike and subject matter makes your eye take a happy little walk around the frame.

And the lighting is perfect. Did you take this in the early morning or early evening?

For those that are shooting, note that the early or late hours of sunlight produce a warm, golden light. This picture has used that to great advantage to set a mood of calm.

Wonderfully done, sir!
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    Wow. That's really, really pretty. Perfect placement of the bike and subject matter makes your eye take a happy little walk around the frame.

And the lighting is perfect. Did you take this in the early morning or early evening?

For those that are shooting, note that the early or late hours of sunlight produce a warm, golden light. This picture has used that to great advantage to set a mood of calm.

Wonderfully done, sir!
    Thanks for that compliment KBasa! It was taken at 10:37am (camera EXIF data shows). Rural upstate SC somewhere between Clinton and Spartanburg SC.
    Howard
    2005 R1200GS

small favor

Hey, all you photograpers, I've really been enjoying your work. It's fun to see the bikes, of course, but your pix are terriffic no matter what the subject. I hope you'll keep this thread going and that the rounders and riders in more temperate climes will continue to contribute all winter.

So here's my request. Save some of those pix and post them when I'm up to my keister in snowblower. There's only so much you can ask of Wellbutrin.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

It's a deal.

Just for you ; )

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

I have the theme, and the subjects. I just couldn't find a good setup.

The Harmony of a great flight crew, a good conduct ribbon, and the flak that could have ended my fathers life. He is one of the "Boys from Bungay" or the "Bungay Buckaroos" they were often referred to as.
    Last edited by Rapid_Roy; 11-14-2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: added name
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    I have the theme, and the subjects. I just couldn't find a good setup.

The Harmony of a great flight crew, a good conduct ribbon, and the flak that could have ended my fathers life. He is one of the "Boys from Bungay."
    Especially appropriate today.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

SNC1923

Autumnal Harmony

Taken outside Katy's Restaurant in Carmel on Sunday. I tried to shoot these leaves from a number of angles but felt uninspired. As I was still waiting for a table, I walked around the tree and was struck by the sunlight shining through the leaves. Their translucence and how they appear to be interlocked really appealed to me. Click on image for EXIF.

The "date modified" reflects when I converted these to JPEGs. I usually don't shoot in RAW, but these images were all shot that way.
    Last edited by SNC1923; 11-13-2007 at 06:04 AM. Reason: To overexplain

SNC1923

Nature's Reiteration

Also shot Sunday outside Katy's. I've always been fascinated by these kinds of flowers (I have no idea what it is). The infinite repition of the leaves is amazing. Click for EXIF.

SNC1923

Frayed Ends

This is the burial site of Fray Junipero Serra at the Mission at Carmel. He aspired to die a martyr but was cheated of that fate and died a peaceful, harmonious death. Click for EXIF.

Though not tack-sharp, this photo was taken hand-held at 1/4 sec. (albeit with a image stablized lens) It is one of six shots, as I was having to take these without looking through the viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    I've always been fascinated by these kinds of flowers (I have no idea what it is). The infinite repition of the leaves is amazing. Click for EXIF.
    It's a dahlia (I think), but I have no idea what cultivar. As always, great shots!

How do you embed your EXIF data as a link? I just checked mine on Smugmug and it says I shot my photos on 10/20 , so my camera needs a little calibration.
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST