Thread: 2007 hexhead cam chain rattle

2007 hexhead cam chain rattle

2007 R1200 RT w/13k miles. at appx 5000RPM and above, when accelerating hard, I hear what I believe to be a chain slap. My best guess is that the noise comes mostly from the left side. valves are properly adjusted. any thoughts?

DigtlArtst
    Quote Originally Posted by carrell View Post
    2007 R1200 RT w/13k miles. at appx 5000RPM and above, when accelerating hard, I hear what I believe to be a chain slap. My best guess is that the noise comes mostly from the left side. valves are properly adjusted. any thoughts?
    Might be pinging. Are you using premium gas?

Quote Originally Posted by Digtlartst View Post
    Might be pinging. Are you using premium gas?
    The knock sensors should back timing off to eliminate pinging.. unless one has failed.. (and don't know if that will trigger a warning light or not..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

I use premium fuel

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    The knock sensors should back timing off to eliminate pinging.. unless one has failed.. (and don't know if that will trigger a warning light or not..)
    Assuming the R1200R is similar, the knock sensor will trigger a fault, but you may never see it on the display!

Jim

thtduck

Annoying sound

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden1 View Post
    Assuming the R1200R is similar, the knock sensor will trigger a fault, but you may never see it on the display!

Jim
    Definitely had the spark knocking on my R1200R w/ aggressive acceleration. Didn't think much of it really and I always use premium. Is that something that should be fixed? Didn't know about knock sensors but that explains why it only knocks on the initial hard acceleration and clears up on subsequent ones. Sound crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by dogeye View Post
    Definitely had the spark knocking on my R1200R w/ aggressive acceleration. Didn't think much of it really and I always use premium. Is that something that should be fixed? Didn't know about knock sensors but that explains why it only knocks on the initial hard acceleration and clears up on subsequent ones. Sound crazy?
    Actually - sounds crazy. The ECU on the R1200R is fast enough to retard timing on-the-fly, meaning if it detects pre-ignition, the next firing stroke will be retarded. It's the only way they can get away with 12.5:1 compression.

Something isn't right if you're feeling "knock".. pre-ignition usually isn't described as knocking.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

thtduck
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Actually - sounds crazy. The ECU on the R1200R is fast enough to retard timing on-the-fly, meaning if it detects pre-ignition, the next firing stroke will be retarded. It's the only way they can get away with 12.5:1 compression.

Something isn't right if you're feeling "knock".. pre-ignition usually isn't described as knocking.
    Knock maybe a poor description. What I have heard is pre-ignition. While the gas pump displays "Premium" I often wonder if I'm getting that. Not to slight those who work in the gasoline industry but there is room for error there.

Originally Posted by deilenberger

Quote Originally Posted by dogeye View Post
    Knock maybe a poor description. What I have heard is pre-ignition. While the gas pump displays "Premium" I often wonder if I'm getting that. Not to slight those who work in the gasoline industry but there is room for error there.
    Actually that is the same thing. What you might be hearing is a tiny bit of preignition right off idle if you dog it too much as you launch the bike. IIRC the ignition will allow some knock under 1500 RPM, or about that.

If it is happening any other time, it is very likely your knock sensor is bad. This is not unheard of on the R1200.

Jim

PS It wont always show a fault, but should on the diagnostic computer, or on the GS-911.

Rally Rat
    Actually that is the same thing. What you might be hearing is a tiny bit of preignition right off idle if you dog it too much as you launch the bike. IIRC the ignition will allow some knock under 1500 RPM, or about that.

If it is happening any other time, it is very likely your knock sensor is bad. This is not unheard of on the R1200.

Jim

PS It wont always show a fault, but should on the diagnostic computer, or on the GS-911.
    Jim, I occasionally get 2 or 3 "tinks" when quickly rolling on the throttle at about 3,000~3,500 rpm. This seems to happen only when headed up a significant grade. Since the noise stops almost immediately, can I assume it's pre-ignition and that the knock sensor is doing it's thing as designed? The bike is an '06 RT, run exclusively on 93 octane.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomfromMD View Post
    Jim, I occasionally get 2 or 3 "tinks" when quickly rolling on the throttle at about 3,000~3,500 rpm. This seems to happen only when headed up a significant grade. Since the noise stops almost immediately, can I assume it's pre-ignition and that the knock sensor is doing it's thing as designed? The bike is an '06 RT, run exclusively on 93 octane.
    Tom

Very likely the same thing, and for the same reasons. If you are in 6th gear and at 3K RPM, and give it hard throttle, you are dogging it a bit.

Jim
    Last edited by JimVonBaden1; 11-16-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Very likely the same thing, and for the same reasons. If you are in 6th gear and at 3K RPM, and give it hard throttle, you are dofgging it a bit.

Jim
    More commonly known as "lugging".
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    More commonly known as "lugging".

Yup, pardon the typo!

Jim

Rally Rat
    Very likely the same thing, and for the same reasons. If you are in 6th gear and at 3K RPM, and give it hard throttle, you are dogging it a bit.
    Jim
    Usually in 3rd or 4th at that rpm - I generally don't goose it in 6th much below about 4,000. But it's so smoooth at 3k!

Thanks for your reply.
    Tom