View Poll Results: 2008 Gillette National - Attending, not attending, not sure?

Voters
365. You may not vote on this poll
  • Attending

195 53.42%
  • Not Attending

88 24.11%
  • Not sure yet.....

82 22.47%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Gillette National - attending or not?

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by podsobinski View Post
    Never been to a national event so I do not know what I am missing.
    Uh . . . no comment, I guess . . . except, maybe you should try one, especially one so close.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR, '09 Aprilia SR50 Factory

Yup...I'm going.

Attending the National in Gillette...then going to the Top of the Rockies rally in Paonia, CO the following weekend...where the views and riding will be much better!
    BTW, I used my Hilton points to get a room in Gillette, soooo, no $250 a night for me. If you have hotel points, try using them. I did it all online...no hassle at all.

I live in Casper, Wyoming and it was just on the news last night that property values in Gillette were tapering off. Housing is starting to keep up with demand. There's a huge boom in the area and many are living in motels. Now that there are places to live, the Motel prices may drop some. I don't think the MOA is getting picked on, the prices are just wacko up there at the moment.
    The Camplex is famous for doing things right. I went to an RV rally there with 11,000 people and they handled it with no problems whatsoever that I saw. I'm sure the Camplex will provide service as good as or better than any other rally. I also fly radio control airplanes and the Rally of the Giants was held there a few years ago and again, everyone I talked to was extremely impressed.
    I haven't been to the MOA Rally before and am looking forward to it!! I understand folks disappointment in the room prices as I don't like to tent camp either. I'm not as disappointed as others as the ride there is only 115 miles and I'm going to take my RV. I love to travel on the bike, but I can stand trailering it for that distance.
    -Ray

Just depends..

Sent a money order in today,in hopes of being one of the 200 riders selected to ride the 3 Flags Classic,and if I'm one of the lucky ones,will have to pass on Gillete.
    Nose

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    Gillette? DEFINITELY!
    Now the only question is, what to RIDE there?!?! Decisions, decisions!
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

Retired User

I'm in, I think

This will be my first national rally. Bought my first BMW 6 or 7 years ago, but I'm a little slow (when I'm not on the bike!). Looking forward to doing some volunteering and to meeting some of you good folks.
    Bill Mayer
    R1200RT

Not going but not because of the location.
    Not enough time to be able to go. I am waiting for another one back in the east.
    I did look at the area and it looks like there is plenty of good riding to be had there.
    USN Retired
    '02 R1150 RT

Attending

You bet! Wouldn't miss it. Great riding all around that area and another chance to visit the new grandbaby in Boulder while I'm in the area. Now maybe I should visit the other son in Vancouver on the way there....

They are forecasting snow tonight, so it is time to get out the maps and plan all the possible routes I might take.

I will be volunteering as environmental steward, as well as in the charging station and cyber caf?® again.

Holly
    Volunteer for the 2014 Rally in St. Paul. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    You bet! Wouldn't miss it. Great riding all around that area and another chance to visit the new grandbaby in Boulder while I'm in the area. Now maybe I should visit the other son in Vancouver on the way there....

They are forecasting snow tonight, so it is time to get out the maps and plan all the possible routes I might take.

I will be volunteering as environmental steward, as well as in the charging station and cyber caf?® again.

Holly
    Two thumbs up for the Cyber Cafe volunteers!
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Maybe Attending

If any group is going from FL, GA or SC I will tag along. This will be my first BMW event. I will bring a big hat, alot of sunscreen and a positive attitude.

Or skip the flatlands and go to the Black Hills Stampede instead.

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcouple View Post
    If any group is going from FL, GA or SC I will tag along. This will be my first BMW event. I will bring a big hat, alot of sunscreen and a positive attitude.

Or skip the flatlands and go to the Black Hills Stampede instead.

By the time you're to the Black Hills you're across the flatlands and a stone's throw from Gillette!
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    Two thumbs up for the Cyber Cafe volunteers!

I know for some staying connected is important, both personally and professionally, but the idea of a cyber Cafe at a rally still kinda cracks me up! For me riding and rallying is to GET AWAY from all that and connect one to one In Person and where Work CAN'T touch me!

Its like when I see people heading out the door of thier house on the cell or heading in, for that matter. (and yes I know more and more folks are dropping the landline and going "wireless" as their only phone) but I just can't help thinking is what they are talking about really THAT important that it can't wait a few minutes more?

Guess its the airhead mentality and the fact I'm "connected" all day at work and the last thing I want is to take work with me. Ha Ha!

RM

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    I know for some staying connected is important, both personally and professionally, but the idea of a cyber Cafe at a rally still kinda cracks me up! For me riding and rallying is to GET AWAY from all that and connect one to one In Person and where Work CAN'T touch me!

Its like when I see people heading out the door of thier house on the cell or heading in, for that matter. (and yes I know more and more folks are dropping the landline and going "wireless" as their only phone) but I just can't help thinking is what they are talking about really THAT important that it can't wait a few minutes more?

Guess its the airhead mentality and the fact I'm "connected" all day at work and the last thing I want is to take work with me. Ha Ha!

RM
    For some of us, that connectivity allows to attend a rally, be on the road for a week or so and still make a living.

If you don't want to be bothered, all of those gizmos have an OFF switch.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    For some of us, that connectivity allows to attend a rally, be on the road for a week or so and still make a living.

If you don't want to be bothered, all of those gizmos have an OFF switch.
    As I said, I know for some it is critical, I just find a certain humorous side to it all, getting away without really getting away, just seems to hold a certain irony, that 's all, no offence or criticism meant, nor did I intend to hit a nerve but seems I may.

RM

HODAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post

Holly

3 claps and a snap for the charging station volunteers.

(let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement)