Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ANARCHY Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/03/07

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    My son Sean was playing in his jazz/funk band tonight. 1932 Lady Conn tenor sax and an EWI (electronic wind instrument). Still experimenting with my new camera and look forward to better days. However, here are a few shots which, to me, are anarchistic. I was trying not to use a flash.

and now things were moving a bit fast .... still like the abstract nature of it though

oh well, next week ..... -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

RandallIsland

I really love this last one. It's the mood of pure and simple music making, man!
    Like totally.

I know shots under those conditions are tough, but were it a really clearly blurred shot, it could really work, ya know?

I wonder if the pros have any tips 'bout that?

@ the Big Muddy & I-80 bluestune's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandallIsland View Post

I really love this last one. It's the mood of pure and simple music making, man!
    Like totally.

I know shots under those conditions are tough, but were it a really clearly blurred shot, it could really work, ya know?

I wonder if the pros have any tips 'bout that?
    I like where youÔÇÖre going with the photos of your son. If I could suggest just a couple of things: first, get closer to your subject and have one person or instrument as ÔÇ£theÔÇØ center of interest. Second, try shooting from either side of the stage so that the stage lights (if they are front lit) will give more dimension to the subject. Practice sessions are probably the best time to make shots like this, just bring with a couple of garage work lights and clamp them to what ever is handy and donÔÇÖt be shy about ÔÇ£playingÔÇØ with the lights. Hope that helps.

Here are a couple of examples I dug out of my digital archive. These were shot for a bandÔÇÖs poster or rather a series of posters; the goal was to make the viewer feel the emotion, intensity and artistry of the music. Now the shots are used as ÔÇ£fridge artÔÇØ thatÔÇÖs the reason for the border and title.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1976 R90/6

I don't mind a blurred photo. I think they can add to the mood.

Here's a couple I've taken that have come out "wrong", but I still like.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

SNC1923
    Here's one of my favorites:

different stone, different hole, candie wrapper filter

rocketman
    motion blur,,

early AM shot of my "Fish Eagle" freind from the last weeks trip to Cabo with side light from the pre-dawn sky as he took off from his perch.

RM

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    Here's a couple I've taken that have come out "wrong", but I still like.

Nothing wrong with this shot. You've suggested it's an out take, but I think it's a great shot and really hard to capture something like this even when you're trying! Talk about a picture speaking a thousand words!
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestune View Post
    I like where you’re going with the photos of your son. If I could suggest just a couple of things: first, get closer to your subject and have one person or instrument as “the” center of interest. Second, try shooting from either side of the stage so that the stage lights (if they are front lit) will give more dimension to the subject. Practice sessions are probably the best time to make shots like this, just bring with a couple of garage work lights and clamp them to what ever is handy and don’t be shy about “playing” with the lights. Hope that helps.

Here are a couple of examples I dug out of my digital archive. These were shot for a band’s poster or rather a series of posters; the goal was to make the viewer feel the emotion, intensity and artistry of the music. Now the shots are used as “fridge art” that’s the reason for the border and title.
    RandallIsland... thanks for the endorsement. My son, especially when he's "in the zone" is my favorite subject for photos. Excellent musician. And Bluestune, thanks for the suggestions. Will try for some pics at their practice rather than in the bars (although that adds a greater dynamic). I am trying to nudge them into having a website so maybe I can create some visuals for the site. Anyway, thanks for the input. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA