Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vicious Rumor from HD Biker

Vicious Rumor from HD Biker

I just read this in HD Forum:

...i read that within 3 years bmw motorcycles will be built in china...goodbye bmw mistique.
    http://www.hdforums.com/fb.asp?m=1411886

Is there any truth to this? I would think BMW would have a hard time shutting down the plant in Berlin.

Maybe they're just checking to see whose lurking...
    Alex Grossjohann
    2004 R1150RSA
    2008 328xi Coupe

Gosh. Those are some very angry, hateful and bitter comments from some of the Harley owners. They need anger management and counseling.
    I remember reading some years ago that in an international poll, the number one bike for customer satisfaction and reliability, BMW was number 1, follwed closely by Honda then Yamaha, and Ducati. In 5th place was Harley. This was many years ago. Perhaps they have improved since that survery.
    I have nothing against harley exept personal prefernce. I think they are good bikes with great history and follow up. I prefer 1 BMW instead of 3 Harleys.
    PERSONAL OPINION BASED ON TASTE.
    Regards,

Gil
    Die worn out instead of rusted out! I am work in progress.
    1975 R90/6
    1988 K75C
    And more cameras than I can handle!
    http://www.pbase.com/gil_hidalgo

Anger management???
    Most of the comments seemed pretty fair or, at worse, no more myopic than the ones about Harleys tossed around here.
    scott conary - BMW... err...umm... bikes are dangerous
    portland, oregon
    www.scottconary.com | new paintings

Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post
    Anger management???
    Most of the comments seemed pretty fair or, at worse, no more myopic than the ones about Harleys tossed around here.
    Agreed.

Opinions based on ignorance never work well.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    Agreed.

Opinions based on ignorance never work well.
    Either way, I still can't seem to be bothered to wash my bike. How hard is it to keep that RT clean? It's got all sorts of nooks and crannies in that fairing with the panels that "hover" out a bit.
    portland, oregon

Either way, I still can't seem to be bothered to wash my bike. How hard is it to keep that RT clean? It's got all sorts of nooks and crannies in that fairing with the panels that "hover" out a bit.
    I almost never wash it, I'm sorry to say. It looks good with road cheese all over it.

Of course, I've managed to get the panels all scuffed up from my riding gear and the various cords and wires hanging off of it, so that might be the source of my ambivalence about keeping it clean.

Once in a while, I'll wash the dead bugs and junk off the windshield and headlight.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Not to be controversial or seeking trouble, I am referring to some comments and not to the entire thread. I read many comments defending the Bmers.
    I should have been a little more clear.
    I believe Bmers have "soul" as a matter of opinion. To say "Harley is what a bike should look like" is also an opinion. Also calling the bike "FUGLY" is a bit odd. Some, like me, find the opposing cylinders great in appearance. I am certainly not on the GEEKY side. (I hope) "Most (not all) Beemer riders are on the Geeky side, at least around my area!" That is his opinion as well....or so I hope.
    Another comment that caught my attention was this one.
    "BMW doesn't seem to care. Someday all that High Tech crap will need fixed"

However, I do agree and even enjoy this last comment.
    "some how, BMW with crossed roses tattoo'd on my shoulder doesn't do anything for me"

All in good humor and with the highest respect to all of you.

Regards,

Gil
    Die worn out instead of rusted out! I am work in progress.
    1975 R90/6
    1988 K75C
    And more cameras than I can handle!
    http://www.pbase.com/gil_hidalgo

Quote Originally Posted by Gil View Post
    However, I do agree and even enjoy this last comment.
    "some how, BMW with crossed roses tattoo'd on my shoulder doesn't do anything for me"
    I agree with that. Any manufactures logo with crossed roses tattooed anywhere on me doesn't do anything for me.......but that's just me.
    Live to ride, ride to live.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

All well and good but...

But what about the substance of the rumor? Is there any indication from any source that it is based on evidence? Aprilia manufactures in Italy. Manufacturing in China may be feasible and even practical by 2010. Does anyone have any SUBSTANTIVE EVIDENCE regarding the rumor?
    New Rider of the Purple Daze
    1987 K100RS Motosport

Unavailable for comment
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardCook View Post
    But what about the substance of the rumor? Is there any indication from any source that it is based on evidence? Aprilia manufactures in Italy. Manufacturing in China may be feasible and even practical by 2010. Does anyone have any SUBSTANTIVE EVIDENCE regarding the rumor?
    Anyone with any common sense would realize that BMW's will not be made in China. BMW with their emphasis on safety, would not allow lead in the paint, frames made of lead, and lead engines. We won't even mention the unreliability that a Chinese made BMW would bring.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Quote Originally Posted by rkasal View Post
    Anyone with any common sense would realize that BMW's will not be made in China. BMW with their emphasis on safety, would not allow lead in the paint, frames made of lead, and lead engines. We won't even mention the unreliability that a Chinese made BMW would bring.

Regards,

Randy Kasal
    They already do.

sorta
    portland, oregon

Unavailable for comment
    They already do.

sorta
    I know they do. It was a joke. The R-71 was, I believe, the most copied motorcycle ever. That says a lot about BMW. While we're on that subject, you all can remind the HD folks that the HD XA for which HD received soooo many awards was an exact copy of captured Wermacht R-71's from North Africa.

The Indian motor of the same time was an exact copy of the R-71's motor. Add in these Chinese bikes, the Ural's (and I think one or or more of the Planeta's if not the Planeta Pyat was a copy), a few more brands, and BMW is the most coped motorrad ever made. Something to be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    The made in America crowd needs to look at their Leather H-D vest made in Pakistan.

I had two Harley's in my lifetime. I even rode a Sportster across country without a windshield, and used a T-Bag. I was not your chrome and trailer crowd type of guy that is common now.
    Ain't that the truth. I road my sporty cross country and broke down in Ohio... wait, that was fun actually. Anyhoo, give me a bike that runs and runs and runs. I don't wash it, I don't need to fix it, it goes quite well.

Three cheers for my K75
    http://www.monksvoice.com

I could be the voice you're hearing.

Unavailable for comment

Made in America

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywork View Post
    Ain't that the truth. I road my sporty cross country and broke down in Ohio... wait, that was fun actually. Anyhoo, give me a bike that runs and runs and runs. I don't wash it, I don't need to fix it, it goes quite well.

Three cheers for my K75
    I'm repeating only what I was told last Saturday at the dealer by a recent BMW 900,000 miler. He rides 40 to 50,000 miles per year and has taught the MSF safety course for, I think he said, 30 years. 16 courses this year alone.

Anyway, he said the only true made in America bike is the Honda Goldwing.

The next parts are my understandings from other sources. HD's are mostly made in Mexico but assembled in WI. I do know my brother's doctor gf (who bought a V-Rod so they could travel around the country hahahahaha) has a French ignition system and an Italian engine management system (or perhaps the other way around) while the pistons are German (Mahle) and the engine design was by Porsche. Way to cheapen the Porsche brand.

Won't even get into the uncomfortable, unsafe, poor handling, and probable unreliable aspects of the bike. It's not made in America!!!!

Regards,

Randy Kasal

The new Buell uses a Rotax engine, too.
    -Eric
    '87 K75T, '07 F650GS