Page 119 of 184 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 169 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 2747

Thread: Post a pic of your airhead

Quote Originally Posted by 156327 View Post
    Red with Black Smoke 1982 R100 RS.

Factory Kick Starter not usually found on these bikes.
    Love your RS. Is that factory paint? The color is absolutely stunning.

Regards,

bert

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Yep. The paint is original. The whole bike is original other than a few goodies. It has a fork stiffener kit, a thicker steering head plate, braided steel brake lines, bar backs, a brown's side stand and two years ago I installed a Parabellum windscreen that works better on longer rides.

The red/black smoke paint scheme on the RS is my favorite airhead of that era. It's a great ride. It gets a lot of attention and even disbelief that it is a 1982 motorcycle. The RS fairing design is a timeless classic that still holds up today IMO.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

hwy61

My '91

waiting for spring...

Yep. The paint is original. The whole bike is original other than a few goodies. It has a fork stiffener kit, a thicker steering head plate, braided steel brake lines, bar backs, a brown's side stand and two years ago I installed a Parabellum windscreen that works better on longer rides.

The red/black smoke paint scheme on the RS is my favorite airhead of that era. It's a great ride. It gets a lot of attention and even disbelief that it is a 1982 motorcycle. The RS fairing design is a timeless classic that still holds up today IMO.
    thanks for the reply.
    I've inquired to some RS owners about the bar backs, got mixed reaction. some say it's not the right thing to do on this bike, others really like the more relaxed riding position, your thoughts?

also, did you have to change cables to accomodate the bar backs?

Thanks,
    '
    Bert

I understand the purist position but I find the bar backs work well for me. They only go up 1" and 1 1/2" back but it is just enough for me to sit slightly less bent forward and the increase in comfort is substantial. My head is up straighter and my neck bent less to see forward and stay more relaxed on the bars. The RS tends to make your palms sore from leaning forward on long rides and the bar backs alleviate this quite a bit.

I did not have to change any cables but I did have to remove the foam handle bar cover and the steering dampener knob and shaft. This was not a big deal to me since I never changed the setting anyway. I've kept all the original parts in any case.

535IS
    I understand the purist position but I find the bar backs work well for me. They only go up 1" and 1 1/2" back but it is just enough for me to sit slightly less bent forward and the increase in comfort is substantial. My head is up straighter and my neck bent less to see forward and stay more relaxed on the bars. The RS tends to make your palms sore from leaning forward on long rides and the bar backs alleviate this quite a bit.

I did not have to change any cables but I did have to remove the foam handle bar cover and the steering dampener knob and shaft. This was not a big deal to me since I never changed the setting anyway. I've kept all the original parts in any case.
    I was about to ask how you did that keeping the 'dash' pad because mine would no longer fit with bar backs. Now I know - the 'before' pictures. I was able to keep my damper shaft since it just clears the bars - but the knob had to go.

I absolutely agree on the paint scheme. If I didn't have a Motorsport, it would have to be a 'Red Smoke' RS. Twenty-plus years ago, before I had an RS (or any BMW bike), I built a model of one - in Red Smoke.

Big round head.
    nice garage!

Quote Originally Posted by kstoo View Post

Can we get a closeup of the head on the wall?

chiefclint

Here's mine

It's got a couple scratches, a few scuffs, 17k on it but it makes me smile every time I ride it .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefclint View Post
    It's got a couple scratches, a few scuffs, 17k on it but it makes me smile every time I ride it .
    Beautiful... just beautiful! gotta love a naked stock boxer

Huckleberry, Gilera &Toad kstoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Can we get a closeup of the head on the wall?
    Aren't you interested in the RS at all?

The story is that one day some renters across the alley were moving out and I saw this head sticking out from all the stuff that they were throwing out. This is Patty who previously was used for hairdresser's school but now protects my cave. Scares the heck out of people walking past the window.

Patty

Much later, I was in somebody's basement looking at a 1976 R75/6 basket case that he had for sale and while working the deal I saw this head sticking out of box of parts. I laughed and told him the story of Patty. He said that if I bought the bike I could have Miss Kim too. Deal! Miss Kim is meaner, too mean to sit in the window. She resides in the remnants of an R100RT fairing.

Miss Kim

Don't laugh, it works! No hairdressers or red-headed women have ever broken into my cave!
    Last edited by kstoo; 01-07-2011 at 03:19 AM. Reason: speling
    1980 R100T (Gilera), 1982 R100RT (Toad), 1975 R60/6 (cern?¡calo)
    Adventures at the Cave

Big round head.
    Quote Originally Posted by kstoo View Post
    Aren't you interested in the RS at all?
    That is a beauty RS!.. Same colour as my R65

KSTOO, I'm curious about the seat on your RS. What it is and where it came from.
    The foam in my seat is long gone and I need to do something about that some day. Yours looks pretty comfy...

On the Road

1994 r100rt

My 1994 R100RT with 86,000 miles on it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thx, Kstoo. They give your shop some ambiance. I like the upgrades on your bike. Lesters, fork brace, braided lines and floating discs. Good job.