Thread: Post a pic of your airhead

Threaded View

'76 r90/6

this one is new to me last november. last BMW i had was a '75 R75/6 for the latter half of the '80s. i wanted something identical, to re-live my younger days a bit. this was pretty beat when i bought it @ 67k miles.

i spent the winter doing things within the range of my limited abilities: points, plugs, condensor, all fluids changed, new throttle gears and cables, new choke cables, new tach cable & grommet, completely rebuilt the carbs, new shocks, new seat, new battery, new headlight reflector, rebuilt front caliper, re-sleeved and rebuilt M/C (by apple hydraulics), new upper brake hose, flushed tank & checked lining (still looks intact), rebuilt one petcock & replaced the other, new tires, new rear brake shoes, wheel bearings replaced (by tom cutter), checked rear splines (lots of wear left on both mating surfaces).

i have a second set of heads that i sent to tom cutter for rebuilding. just got them back but i will wait til next winter to fit them, as i want to go through the rest of the top end at the same time, including checking the connecting rods.

oh yeah... my tach went haywire a few weeks ago, so i will send the instrument cluster to terry vrla in a week for repair and calibration.

it's been fun working on her over the winter, now i am ready for a summer of enjoyment with hopefully no major surprises.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ezwicky; 05-07-2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typos
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6