Page 53 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 153 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a pic of your airhead

Here's a beaut....

I was at the 2007 Deutsche Classic, an all German car show held near Reading, PA last year. I saw this R12, and thus began my love affair with BMW motorcycles....

Jon-
    2001 R1150 GS: After work therapy
    1988 M5: Daily warrior
    1971 2002: In the family since Dad brought her home new!

Barney @ the SR 89/89A Intersection

On the way back from the rally in Panguich UT. I just happened to notice the great scenery and Barney had just rolled over 16666 miles. Thought it was time for a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdebesy View Post
    On the way back from the rally in Panguich UT. I just happened to notice the great scenery and Barney had just rolled over 16666 miles. Thought it was time for a picture.
    Tell me about those hardcases please...
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    Tell me about those hardcases please...
    Well they came with the bike, and i bought the bike from a German Lufthansa pilot who bought them originally in Germany and brought them over here. They are Hepco & Becker but i dont really know a specific like part number. They have worked well the 2 times i have used them (just bought the bike in March 08) and have a pretty sturdy latching system on them. they also came with like 10 extra keys also.
    Vince Debes

Huckleberry, Gilera &Toad kstoo's Avatar

my new /6

My new 1975 R60/6. We used to call this a full dress touring machine. It came with one small problem. If Glen is not in Gillette I will have the head over to Thoroughbred this morning.
    1980 R100T (Gilera), 1982 R100RT (Toad), 1975 R60/6 (cern?¡calo)
    Adventures at the Cave

$1,000 spark plug

... and this is the problem ...
    reconsider if you are thinking about helicoil to repair a spark plug thread.
    Adventures at the Cave

So what ended up being the condition of the head with the offending spark plug???

Had that same issue with that type insert in a F-250. We used to repair aircooled VW's with inserts all the time. Never saw that kind of damage, in them. I('m thinking that in both cases the insert was the wrong length. The F250 and BMW's use a deep plug. Pic shows a short insert. The Ford's problem was too few threads in cyl head.
    '73 R75/5
    Never had a bad day skiing!

Thanks for asking, voodude. How's your move going, are you all moved into your new place?
    Even though the plug looks suspiciously like a pre-ignition problem there was absolutely no damage to the piston or combustion chamber. When I finally got a hold of Glen Bishop (he looked exhausted from his rally adventure) I gave the head to him to have welded up and re-machined. I have to trouble shoot an electrical problem with the indicator lights, put it back together and see how it runs!
    skiteach, I stripped a spark plug on my dad's VW bug myself (when I was 16, in 1971) so, yeah, I know that we used to do that repair! It just didn't work in this case.
    Adventures at the Cave

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by kstoo View Post
    ... and this is the problem ...
    reconsider if you are thinking about helicoil to repair a spark plug thread.
    From airhead to butterhead in 1/2 of a second. Ugh, had to be disappointing/frightening.

Good thing you got it all welded back up, though! I love when old things get fixed.

PS: Love the bike. Looks very similar to my R90..

Rally Rat
    I was going to post a picture of my airhead, but she took all of them with her when she moved out . . . Wanna see my big thumper?

Floyd

arlene

1979 R100rt

Here is my 79 RT.....the fairing is long gone...and a new parabellum windscreen takes its place......and..new paint

fracture
    My '94 R100RT. I have had it since '98. Now with about 46K miles on it. It had 11K on it when I got it.

Now that I have a hexhead, the old airhead may be up for sale. Not sure about that yet, but the new bike is so much better in every respect.

This airhead has been one of the most reliable bikes I have ever had. Sure, I have had to replace pushrod seals, fork seals, etc. but it has never left me stranded. So, I may just keep it. I will have a hard time parting with such classic elegance.

I hope I can attach a pic.

arlene

nice

yep...that is a really nice bike. I tell you I would not get rid of it......it may not be as high tech as todays bikes....but it has look that cant be beat...

arlene
    yep.....nice bike....where did you take the photo