Rally Rat
    Just sold my 1975 to buy this 1981.
    Attached Images Attached Images

gproberts

brother - in laws bike

TT racer

Milo
    hey guys, new member here! my airhead is a slightly modified R65. It was my dad's until he got a new one a few years ago. he had it all stock exept for a Luftmeister fairing. last year i started by stripping the bike down, fairing, reynolds rack w/ backrest, airbox, starter cover, pulse air system, rear fender, rear seat cowl, "US" handlebars, headlight w/ bracket and instruments, choke cable/lever, all gone. added clip-ons, manual choke levers from handcrafted coat hanger, Aztec 8 (5 3/4in.) Dual headlight kit w/ cat eye turn signals, Trail Tech Vapor computer w/ motorcycle dummy light cover, K&N pod filters, and Emgo shorty pipes (i think that's it...). i have yet to buy rearsets. i don't really see it as a cafe racer, more of a streetfighter. tell me what you think, more pics coming soon of complete product, the pic was taken a few months ago.

btw gproberts, great bike! could you list all of the mods on it?

Rally Rat
    Looks good - needs a cafe style seat.

Something along these lines:

Milo
    yea thought about that corbin gunfighter but its not the look i want to get. i don't want people to see the seat and write it off as just another "cafe" bike when it's not, i don't want to get lumped in that category, i think a lot of people slap a gunfighter and a "S" fairing on and call it a cafe and it seems to make light of all of the other people that put serious work into their custom cafes.

on a lighter note, there are more pics available on my facebook album starting from after i took off my fairing @http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...b&id=533986563

This is my 94
    Ever hit 2 deer at 65 m.p.h. and survive ? Then you never have lived life

Kevin

Sure would like a new ride..... but this one is fun to ride.

r80stgrrl
    here's my old (83) r80st, i'll post the new (84) one when we hit the road this summer

CO_G30

my 1987 R80

Just picked it up as my "spare" motorcycle, planning on using it as summer commuter as my 2004 R1150RT fairings block a lot of the wind.

Larger version here

more pics here

Upgraded '75 R90/6 -- winter 2007/8 project bike finished

Here's a snap of my son's and my airhead taken last weekend at the Valle Caldera National Wildlife Preserve in Northern New Mexico. We will be at the '08 Rally this year -- hope to see you all there too!

r80stgrrl
    my "new" r80st (1984)

This is my ride.
    BMW sm.JPG

I picked this up in September of last year: 1970 R50 /5 with 04810 miles (zero four eight one zero ! ) on the the clock.

I had heard through a neighbor that an elderly couple had 'an old BMW bike' in their garage, and that they were going to sell it since the husband (almost 81 years old) had not ridden in years. I stopped by one day; they bring me into the garage and there sits a dust and cobweb covered black BMW. The thing looks entirely intact. The husband said it was never crashed or abused in any way, just neglected. The bike sat in a corner with a bunch of junk piled around it, but it looked ok. From the rear I could see the turn signals and taillight were intact, no visible dents on the tank, although I peeked inside and I saw a lot of rust. The twin mufflers look ok, and the seat was unmarked as well. The tires I'm sure all totally dry rotted (although with full tread), but the spoke wheels looked fine, just dirty. The bike has an aftermarket windscreen. It doesn't have a "toaster" tank, but the regular black one with the black rubber side panels. No luggage, but it has the mounting brackets.

IO have not touched it yet but I am fairly competent with mechanics' tools and would not be afraid of tackling this project..I just need to do some research and learn some of the basics of restoring this bike. I have the Clymer manual and will be coming to resources such as this forum looking for help

Serial numbers on the frame and engine match which is all I care about. I checked the oil and it was totally CLEAN - like honey. There is fuel in the tank but it doesn't even smell like gasoline anymore. The mounts for the bags are intact, as is the seat. The handlebars are badly pitted. The only rust I can see so far is the battery bracket. I have the key to the seat lock but not the integrated fork lock. The rubber boots on the forks are also intact.

This bike has no electric start, only kick start. I gave it a couple of shots and she sure feels like she wants to go.

Behold Gisela. I decided to call her that since the previous owner's wife is a lovely 80 year old lady named Gisela who speaks with the thickest German accent, and Giselle, the French form of the name, was the name of my late sister.

The headlight-mounted speedometer:

Looks like this is one of the Slash 5's with only a left side mirror, notice the mount on the left side vs the right-side add on:

Some of the shiny bits are a bit pitted:

Complete toolkit. I even found the original BMW air pump under the seat.
    It looked like it had never even been taken out of the bag:

After I tucked her in for the night:

The bike was bought new in Germany in 1970, ridden, and serviced by a German dealer. The next dealer stamp is from Italy. The bike was subsequently shipped to the US and was last registered in 1985. This will be a fun project. (I hope !)

Awesome find! Congratulations. Be sure to keep us posted as she progresses.
    -jwk-

1978 R80/7

Grammarian no, Rider yes ISAMEMON's Avatar
    nice barn find
    keep her stock..in looks anyway