Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1977 R90/6 any idea of value?

1977 R90/6 any idea of value?

I know, I know, there are a million variables. I am unfamiliar with the older bikes ( have a 08 rt)
    but this is an estate sale 17,300 miles, hasn't run in "years"
    looks to be in decent cosmetic shape
    I just don't know if this is a $1500.r a $4000.bike
    ANY THOUGHTS?

You'll need to confirm something. There is no '77 R90/6...the /6s ended with the 1976 models. In 1977, they came out with the R60/7, R75/7, and the 1000cc bikes. It could be you're talking about an R90/6 engine in a 1977 frame. That has less value in some people's eyes.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks Kurt, that's the beauty of the family of MOA members

Get the VIN numbers from the engine and the frame...that will let us figure out what you're talking about.

The '76 R90/6 has been known to be a sweet bike. But a bike that hasn't run in "years" is going to cost time and money to get it back to road worthy. I wouldn't call it a $4K bike by any means. Definitely on the low end of your scale...some might suggest going lower, but I suppose $1500 is decent enough. You'll need tires for sure, the odd cable here and there. One would think that the brakes would be fine with some adjustment. A lot depends on how things were stored. If rust/corrosion set in, you're looking at replacing more things.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

R90/6?

Sounds like the project I am looking for. Where is this bike located?
    Dave in Pennsylvania

"hasn't run in years", = $1500 bike. I like to buy bikes like that, and fix them up, then ride them for a few years. When it comes time to sell one, you'll play hell getting anywhere near the $4000 top figure for the same bike in top running order.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    You'll need to confirm something. There is no '77 R90/6...the /6s ended with the 1976 models. In 1977, they came out with the R60/7, R75/7, and the 1000cc bikes. It could be you're talking about an R90/6 engine in a 1977 frame. That has less value in some people's eyes.
    Definitely check the VIN, and the title, it should be available. It's possible it was titled as a 1977 due to the original sales and registration date.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

My old R90/6 is still my favorite of my BMW's that I have owned. Still wish I had it!
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

I just did a major renew of a 1974 R75/6 with 35K miles over the past winter. I bought it as a winter project end of last summer: it was running, but with major oil leaks and lots of rusty bits. It was a "barn find" for the previous owner, and he had simply put new tires on it, and changed the engine oil. Oh, and put dot 5 in the MC.

I paid $2500 for it then put over $2K in parts and farmed out labor (top end job by Cutter) into it. I had to replace the rear main seal, clutch was still good- but splines had never been serviced in 40 years! (original factory marks on the bolt heads). new fork seals and handlebar gaskets, new handlebars (chrome was gone on original ones) re-line the tank, pushrod tubes & seals, new clutch, speedo and throttle cables. sent the speedo out to Terry Vrla to re-build (it was broken which is very commmon) new seal in the final drive (also leaking) lots of stainless replacement bolts and bits, complete tear down and re-build of the carbs, new mufflers (rusty wrong ones on it) new master cylinder and lines (MC was badly rusted and leaking) wheel bearings, new electronic ignition, new shocks and front springs, and restore the seat & cover (also badly rusted underneath). And hours and hours and hours and hours of cleaning and de-oxidizing aluminum engine cases and parts. I still need to send the wheels out to be re-built; the spokes are all rusted and need replacing.

I had a blast doing it, and I LOVE the bike- it is a sweet ride, and I will keep it as long as I can ride; but I will never get the money back out of it. Just know that it can look great in pictures, (mine did when I saw the ad) but close up, and underneath- there could be lots of work needed. The older bikes are really easy to work on, parts are readily available and there is a great Airhead support network.

Kat

Motorcycleton
    If I were looking to purchase an estate sale bike that hadn't run in years I'd bid very low. Things to look for are evidence of it being stored outside or in a non-heated garage. If possible open the gas cap and look in the tank for evidence of rust (rust is a bad sign - not fatal, but indicates poor storage). Look at the rubber cap covering the speedo cable entry to the transmission. If this cap is cracked or missing, then water may have entered the transmission and rendered the transmission essentially useless. Can the rear wheel be turned with the transmission in neutral? If not, likely have bad transmission. A rebuilt 5 speed will likely set you back $1200 to $1500 (from Re-Psycle BMW). Is the battery dead or missing? If not, can the engine be turned over? (First check for oil in the engine!) If possible pull the plugs and do a thumb check for compression. Engine won't turn over? Bad sign. Can you test the electrics? Horn, turn signals, head and tail lamps work? What about the basic "idiot" lamps between the speedo and tach?

If the inspection reveals indications of poor storage and simple testing indicates major problems, then I'd greatly reduce the amount of the bid. It may boil down to how bad you want the bike, who else is bidding, and how much work you are willing to do.

From a practical standpoint, you could rationalize a purchase based on having to part the bike out to regain your money. If you can get the bike for $1000 (or better yet $500) then you will have more room to get the bike back to a reliable road safe condition. Any bike that has been stored a long time will need a good deal of attention. You will likely need to replace all rubber bits (seals, etc). Carbs will likely need cleaning and new o-rings. Can you sit on the bike and check the brakes (i.e., do they appear to engage). What does the suspension feel like when you bounce up and down? May need to rebuild the front forks and maybe replace the rear shocks.

Pictures? Where is the bike? (California may be better than Wisconsin for long term storage).

I to had a blast doing it...

I am a sucker for a project. I currently have 4 bikes for sale that I refurbished into pleasant riders, just because it is fun. Need room for the next ones. Just purchased a 1976 R90/6 that has a solid history but oil coming out of everything possible. I think I spent about $300 from Hucky's on parts and probably have untold hours of labor into her. A new rotor, a engine wiring harness, basically making her a safe and reliable runner. I will ride this girl for a bit and then make a decision to keep or sell. Each of these bikes has history and it is rewarding to get them back in solid running order. One thing I try hard to avoid is poor wheels/spokes, rust or terrible corrosion, expensive to make right.
    Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by katcon85 View Post
    I just did a major renew of a 1974 R75/6 with 35K miles over the past winter. I bought it as a winter project end of last summer: it was running, but with major oil leaks and lots of rusty bits. It was a "barn find" for the previous owner, and he had simply put new tires on it, and changed the engine oil. Oh, and put dot 5 in the MC.

I paid $2500 for it then put over $2K in parts and farmed out labor (top end job by Cutter) into it. I had to replace the rear main seal, clutch was still good- but splines had never been serviced in 40 years! (original factory marks on the bolt heads). new fork seals and handlebar gaskets, new handlebars (chrome was gone on original ones) re-line the tank, pushrod tubes & seals, new clutch, speedo and throttle cables. sent the speedo out to Terry Vrla to re-build (it was broken which is very commmon) new seal in the final drive (also leaking) lots of stainless replacement bolts and bits, complete tear down and re-build of the carbs, new mufflers (rusty wrong ones on it) new master cylinder and lines (MC was badly rusted and leaking) wheel bearings, new electronic ignition, new shocks and front springs, and restore the seat & cover (also badly rusted underneath). And hours and hours and hours and hours of cleaning and de-oxidizing aluminum engine cases and parts. I still need to send the wheels out to be re-built; the spokes are all rusted and need replacing.

I had a blast doing it, and I LOVE the bike- it is a sweet ride, and I will keep it as long as I can ride; but I will never get the money back out of it. Just know that it can look great in pictures, (mine did when I saw the ad) but close up, and underneath- there could be lots of work needed. The older bikes are really easy to work on, parts are readily available and there is a great Airhead support network.

Kat
    1977 R100/7 1971.1972.1972.1973 R75/5
    1974 R90/6 multiple boxes
    Airhead Revival
    "Objects in the mirror appear to be losing" unk

Im going to look at "her" today.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb210 View Post
    I am a sucker for a project. I currently have 4 bikes for sale that I refurbished into pleasant riders, just because it is fun. Need room for the next ones. Just purchased a 1976 R90/6 that has a solid history but oil coming out of everything possible. I think I spent about $300 from Hucky's on parts and probably have untold hours of labor into her. A new rotor, a engine wiring harness, basically making her a safe and reliable runner. I will ride this girl for a bit and then make a decision to keep or sell. Each of these bikes has history and it is rewarding to get them back in solid running order. One thing I try hard to avoid is poor wheels/spokes, rust or terrible corrosion, expensive to make right.
    Kurt
    I will look for all the things suggested
    Thanks to aLL FOR YOUR INPUT.
    if i DECIDE NOT INTERESTED, WILL POST INFO i HAVE ON IT

My 2 cents worth. If you are looking to buy it as an investment I think you will find that you will much more in it than it will ever be worth.

However, if you are purchasing it for the fun of rebuilding it, and then the joy of riding it, it WILL be worth the effort and cost.

I justify mine, like this: A new bike (none of which I like) would cost over $12,000 and maybe even up to $18,000. You could buy this R90 for $1,000 to 1,500, put $3,000 into it (not counting labor which is fun) and then have a great bike for around $5,000. And FUN to ride to boot! It just doesn't get any better than that!

I know which I would choose!!

My wife loves my above math since we could never afford anything like the $12,000 to $18,000. She just didn't like the amount of time I spent working on it, and she DEFINITELY didn't like all the BMW parts all over the kitchen!!
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

well< I saw her today, and made an offer

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    My 2 cents worth. If you are looking to buy it as an investment I think you will find that you will much more in it than it will ever be worth.

However, if you are purchasing it for the fun of rebuilding it, and then the joy of riding it, it WILL be worth the effort and cost.

I justify mine, like this: A new bike (none of which I like) would cost over $12,000 and maybe even up to $18,000. You could buy this R90 for $1,000 to 1,500, put $3,000 into it (not counting labor which is fun) and then have a great bike for around $5,000. And FUN to ride to boot! It just doesn't get any better than that!

I know which I would choose!!

My wife loves my above math since we could never afford anything like the $12,000 to $18,000. She just didn't like the amount of time I spent working on it, and she DEFINITELY didn't like all the BMW parts all over the kitchen!!
    It is definitely a 1976 R90/6. title and #'s match. pulled the plugs , shot a little oil in the cylinders, hooked up jumper batt, cranked a little bit, put plugs back in, turned on gas, and started within 30 sec of cranking, and immed settled into an idle! SWEET .first time started in over a year. has original tool kit, air pump
    current tires, looks like a good cleaning will make her sparkle! I do NOT buy vintage bikes as an investment! If they are not fun to own,a nd work on, then Im not interested. I made an offer... lets see how I did more to follow

Great! Let's hope you get the opportunity to have more fun!!