Thread: Turn Signals Erratic

Turn Signals Erratic

Yesterday, the turn signals on my R75/6 decided not to work on the left side. I removed bulbs, cleaned and located a loose ground wire on the left rear unit. Once all these were corrected, the signals began blinking slow, then fast, then slow again. Front and rear lamps are working on both sides and the erratic flashing occurs whether left or right, engine running or not (suppression issues should not be a factor). I may have missed something in the wiring, but is this symptomatic of a bad flasher relay? Before yesterday, they were working perfectly.
    You mean BMW makes automobiles???

Yes, likely the flasher; also possible that there is a higher resistance or loose or corroded connection along a common path (ground/return).

(automobiles??? why?)
    Last edited by Pauls1150; 10-03-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Flasher can be taken apart and cleaned just like relays can.

Probably poor contacts either inside or outside.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Many thanks, both of your answers make perfect sense. The bike sat for years before I restored it to operating condition so I have already addressed other corrosion issues in the wiring. My Sunday afternoon project is set, clean the relay and check all connections!
    You mean BMW makes automobiles???

I've had the wires going into the bottom of the flasher unit get loose and cause some interesting strobe displays. Very easy to remove them, tighten the spades just a touch, and reconnect.

Monza Blue 1974 R90/6
    I've had luck taking the cover off of the flasher relay, running a strip of fine sandpaper between both sets of contacts and giving everything a good spay with electrical contact cleaner.

Barron

Yeah, we can't have them reproducing...

I had to neuter mine.
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 850 Norton Roadster
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

I have found on my R80RT that when the signals start acting erratic, if I clean the harness plug below the seat, on the left side of the frame, that it will return to normal. Separate the plug and use an electronic spray to flush the dust and possibly moisture from the contacts. The plug catches spray from the rear wheel, so it does get dirty. Use electronic spray, not WD-40.

I had exactly the same experience as Motoman7 with my 85 R80RT. Right side signals not working or going all wacky. Pulled the white connector on the left side right at the rear of the gas tank, shots of Deoxit into/onto the connectors, reconnect and all is good.

What year is your bike? Do you have the ground wires in the front signals? I have a 1974 75/6 and I don't have the front ground wires and my right side has been all erratic lately as well. I've taken it apart and put in short ground wires to the mounting screws (since I don't want to dissassemble the fork to get in full length ground wires) and that seems to work for a while ( 200 miles or so) then it goes out again. So it might just be your ground connection. If the ground is bad that side goes wonky.

ON the other hand on my old 60/6 it was the relay. It was just tired. We worked on it a bit, cleaned an lubed- but it would still give up after a while and just stop. I replaced it with the Tridon-Stant #550 relay instead of OEM (1/4 of the price) and it worked fine after that. That bike had ground wires on the front signals.

Kat
    1974 R75/6