Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Battery recomendation, 1976 R90/6

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    14

    Battery recomendation, 1976 R90/6

    I have been using WestCo Batteries for years on all my bikes. Anyone have another thought what works best for this bike?

  2. #2
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,075
    Has the WestCo been working well enough for you? How many years do you get on that battery? If it ain't broke... The Odyssey model seems to be somewhat popular.

    You'll get a range of suggestions. Personally, the bike's charging system was designed for a lead-acid slosh battery...that is all I use. In most cases, I get 5-7 years out of them...usually change them because I'm headed on a trip or something...some lingering doubt in my mind. And in most cases, these slosh batteries give you some warning that something's not right. Most sealed batteries tend to be nearly digital...it worked yesterday...leaves you stranded the next. My 0.02.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    14

    R90/6 Battery

    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Has the WestCo been working well enough for you? How many years do you get on that battery? If it ain't broke... The Odyssey model seems to be somewhat popular.

    You'll get a range of suggestions. Personally, the bike's charging system was designed for a lead-acid slosh battery...that is all I use. In most cases, I get 5-7 years out of them...usually change them because I'm headed on a trip or something...some lingering doubt in my mind. And in most cases, these slosh batteries give you some warning that something's not right. Most sealed batteries tend to be nearly digital...it worked yesterday...leaves you stranded the next. My 0.02.
    This bike is new to me, Been using Westco on other bikes. I do plan on staying with a "slosh", as I want to be able to use the BMW charger/maintainer on it.
    Was just hoping dint have to get a BMW Motorad battery for mega bucks

  4. #4
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Djohnson1967 View Post
    Was just hoping dint have to get a BMW Motorad battery for mega bucks
    There are non-BMW batteries that will work...Yuasa, Interstate. From what I read, the cost of just about any battery is through the roof...I think it's the cost of lead. Whatever, it's hard to miss the high costs. I'm sure some of the other batteries are going to work, and will be a little cheaper. Even though the charging profile of the bike and the battery won't ideally match, it still works. I suspect that you won't get 100% of the life out of a AGM/VRLA type of battery...but it may payoff in other aspects in terms of cost, ease of installation, etc. It's a personal choice...just treat your battery well, keep the charging system in peak state, and use a battery tender if necessary.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  5. #5
    Mike V. #30064 30064's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    315
    Dj,

    I share Kurt's opinion with this subject, you'll get as many recommendations for batteries as you will tires, or motor oil.

    Let me just share my recent experience with a battery I haven't heard much about, since you asked. I purchased a Deka battery from John Rayski at Euro Moto Electric over 5 years ago for my R100/7. It's never let me down, nor faltered with two cross country trips across the plains, SW Desert and Mojave in the middle of summer. Just throwing out a consideration and option. Obviously proper care, maintenance, and a healthy charging system has a lot to do with battery life and service ... not to mention personal opinion.

    No direct affiliation, but like to support John when I can for his excellent products.

    http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/107.htm
    Mike V. / San Diego
    gruntyman66 MOA#30064
    78 R100/7 [orig. owner] / 81 R65 [restored]
    ABC-MOA-AMA / http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    980
    My 2 cents:

    I know there are "purists" on here who deplore this idea, as I practically got tarred and feathered when I first suggested the notion, but I personally don't see the need to spend all that cash. I went to Advance Auto, with a coupon and found a near exact match (at the recommendation of a fellow BMW local club member who had never had a problem with his) for the total price of around $65.00. Put it in year and a half ago (early spring of 2013) and it hasn't failed a bit. My judgement was that even if it only lasted 1/2 as long as one of those expensive ones, it still was less than 1/3 the price. So far - been great, and my friend's has lasted longer than 5 years.

    Works perfectly, and during the past cold winter, I used a battery tender on it to keep it "warm."
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

  7. #7
    Registered User m_stock10506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Trinity, NC
    Posts
    314
    Westco is a reseller. They put their label on someone else's product. For years the Westco batteries for Airheads were actually relabeled Panasonic batteries. A while back, Westco stopped using the Panasonic and reports of poor product became more frequent.

    I have stayed with the Panasonic battery instead. You can usually find it sold on Amazon - make sure it's the Panasonic and not the "Panasonic replacement".

    My Panasonic batteries have stayed in my bikes for 6 years. At that point I have replaced them even though they still started the bikes with no problem and still read 12.8 volts resting. For your Airhead, the Panasonic model is the LC-X1228P, 12v 28Ah with nut and bolt terminal.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    My 2 cents:

    I know there are "purists" on here who deplore this idea, as I practically got tarred and feathered when I first suggested the notion, but I personally don't see the need to spend all that cash. I went to Advance Auto, with a coupon and found a near exact match (at the recommendation of a fellow BMW local club member who had never had a problem with his) for the total price of around $65.00. Put it in year and a half ago (early spring of 2013) and it hasn't failed a bit. My judgement was that even if it only lasted 1/2 as long as one of those expensive ones, it still was less than 1/3 the price. So far - been great, and my friend's has lasted longer than 5 years.

    Works perfectly, and during the past cold winter, I used a battery tender on it to keep it "warm."
    I bought mine from Pep Boys. I think it was meant for a garden tractor but it has the same physical dimensions as the battery I took out. Starts the bike just fine and if it doesn't last quite as long, it cost half what the motorcycle battery equivalent would have.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by cseltz View Post
    I bought mine from Pep Boys. I think it was meant for a garden tractor but it has the same physical dimensions as the battery I took out. Starts the bike just fine and if it doesn't last quite as long, it cost half what the motorcycle battery equivalent would have.
    Ditto!!


    There were two (three, frankly) factors that prompted me to purchase the one from Advance Auto. (1, The price. I had raised 4 kids and got them all through college with no debt, but to do so, I had to be really frugal! Therefore, I still am frugal, so much so, that people have said of me, that I am "tighter than a gnat's hide stretched over a rain barrel." I don't have much money, so I have to be as frugal as I can. Otherwise, I would simply have to give up the R/100 and not get to ride at all!

    The reason #1 is the basis of my comment for reason #2: I think some BMW owners seem to believe that because they ride (or own) a vehicle with the initials, "BMW" on it, that everything needs to be expensive and so they look for and expect to pay a lot for stuff!

    Reason#3: was the fact that there is at least 1 Advance Auto in virtually every city, and often many more per city. The battery had a 1-year warranty on it (far longer than I could find anywhere else) so I figured that if there were a problem, I would have immediate access to an exchange battery. I wouldn't have to wait a week for the replacement to arrive.

    Reason #4: A fellow in my local BMW club recommended it, and he had experienced no problems!
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

  10. #10
    Jammess jammess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Florence, OR.
    Posts
    632
    +1 for the slosh battery. Got my 30 amp Yuasa for $82 on Amazon with free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime. Yuasa 53030.
    Jammess

  11. #11
    P Monk
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Port Neches, Texas
    Posts
    646

    Had bad luck with last two Westco batteries.

    Replaced my 2nd Westco in three years with a Panasonic AGM. If I could find a wet cell battery with proper dimensions and proper ampherage (30) or so cheaper at an auto parts store, I would use it in a minute.

    My 09 GS battery went kaput in Magnolia Texas on first day of a trip to Arizona. I found a direct replacement at an Advance Auto store and it spins the motor better than the original ever did. Probably my original was defective anyway.
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •