Page 52 of 185 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a pic of your airhead

Quote Originally Posted by Isamemon View Post
    keep her stock..in looks anyway
    Yeah I definitely will. I may make a couple of improvements like putting in electronic ignition, new diode board, etc (does that make sense ?)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT607 View Post
    Yeah I definitely will. I may make a couple of improvements like putting in electronic ignition, new diode board, etc (does that make sense ?)
    I'd get to know things a bit before you make wholesale changes. Points can be fixed easily if there's a problem...but who am I to say, I put an electronic ignition on my /7; my /2 with points balances things out! See how the charging system works before considering changes. It's relatively easy to diagnose. I'd say most times, the problem is the rotor and not the diode board. But let her tell you what needs to be replaced.

No eletric start? What's wrong with it? You might want to consider getting that fixed and rely on the kick start for backup.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Start button is on right-push in. Same switch is turn signals, down for right and up for left. I use garden tractor batteries in my /5.
    '73 R75/5
    Never had a bad day skiing!

tkpinsc
    My r100 sidecar rig with a couple passengers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

tkpinsc
    my r80 st with jesse bags and 9 gallon tank. The top box flips up and back to get full access to the seat.

I like what you've done to your ST, I wouldn't change a thing.

Finally rolled her out. Been working on this one since last fall. Now just waiting on some fuel line to finish things off. The originality police need not comment. I built it to suit MY tastes (whatever they may be!). And YES I know I have a "recall" front wheel. It hasn't cracked in 30 years, so chances are that it isn't going to fail any time soon!

-jwk-

1978 R80/7

Quote Originally Posted by krehmkej View Post
    It hasn't cracked in 30 years, so chances are that it isn't going to fail any time soon!
    That's what those F-15 pilots said several months ago over Missouri...but then the airplane broke in half.

It's your bike (and it looks good!) so have fun...
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Newbie's 1st Beemer (a 1984 R100RT)

I recently purchased my 1st Beemer after lusting after them for years. Saw the picture and description on Craig's list, looked at the bike and decided I had to have it despite my wife's protestations. Something about the kid's college education or whatever...Overall I'm very pleased. It has 31K on the clock and runs just like a truck. Seriously though, the motor, tranny, drive and suspension all feel nice and the PO (a fellow Minnesotan and Airhead) did a lot of maintenance and cosmetic work to make it a very functional machine. I plan to use it as my daily commuter this summer along with some occasional day tours and maybe some longer trips as time allows. Thanks for letting me ramble...

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland

Cool 1983 R100(t)

1983 R100T: Brought back to life after 8 years in a garage...

Last edited by AnnapolisAirhead; 08-11-2008 at 05:08 AM.
    '83 R100RT'd
    '71 R75/5 SWB
    '06 KLR 650

This is my '74 R90S. Got it in '86, went through it as it was pretty much a wreck of a bike. 46K and goes like new, maybe better. Stainless lines and Ferodo pads, Venturied inlets, large stainless battery holder, Albert mirrors, Pedone grips, first overbore, 336 cam, braced front and rear forks, Progressive springs, CC Products upper fork clamp, Koni shocks, deep oil pan, sport clutch, and an oil pressure gauge.

mrhtbd
    This is my first BMW. Just bought it in May 2008. It was sold with a CS package from a dealer with 14K miles. I guess it was a demo.
    After pushing my Honda 4 1/2 miles home, I needed something dependable, so I bought this. Only thing, the beemer isn't running; no charging of the battery, and the carbs were spuling fuel out of the overflow tubes.
    Here's what I did so far:
    New Metzler Lasertec tires
    Bing carbs were rebuilt
    New fuel hoses
    Cleaned out the tank and sealed it
    New trans fluid and left side seal (at the gear shift lever)
    Oil change and filter
    new air filter
    new gel battery (Yuasa)

It still won't charge. The gen light is out. I'm going to start there, then replace the diode board, and if that doesn't do it I will check all connections and possibly install a new rotor and voltage regulator.

Anyway, here's the picture...Oh, and the milage is 39,000

Quote Originally Posted by mrhtbd View Post
    It still won't charge. The gen light is out. I'm going to start there, then replace the diode board, and if that doesn't do it I will check all connections and possibly install a new rotor and voltage regulator.
    Before you start replacing things, determine what the problem is. Get the book on the charging system from Rick at Motorrad Electrik. It'll guide you through a process to isolate the problem. If the gen light doesn't work, then indeed you will have to charging. His book has several ways of forcing the light to get power. If it doesn't light, then you much dive into the instrument pod to figure out why.

Rally Rat
    Yeah, don't just replace stuff.

You can diagnose the problem.

This page is a good place to start:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/trbleshootALT.htm

(All hale Snowbum.)

russmead

bmw bobber r100rt at birth

This is my first BMW. It started as a 1980 r100rt. I stripped off enough fiberglass to make a bass boat, added a triumph rear fender, bought the largest cop seat I could find, added a 1928 ford taillight and started ridding it.