Page 165 of 185 FirstFirst ... 65 115 155 163 164 165 166 167 175 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 2765

Thread: Post a pic of your airhead

Since everyone is pilling on...

The front turn signals are incorrect for is bike. You have the older aluminum bodied style which were on the '70 to '74 models (and a few early '75 models). The good news is that the aluminum turn signals are NLA (repos are) and you could easily sell/trade them for the black plastic ones (still available from BMW) and pocket the difference.

It does seem like something bad happened to it in the past, enough to damage the tank, seat, and a few other minor things. Don't let it bother you, there are lots of "muts" on the road.

I can't make out what seat that is, but didn't the "S" have a cowling around the rear of the seat like the RS and RT?

Here's a bunch of R100S pictures. http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photopages/photosr100s.htm

Quote Originally Posted by chasemotorman View Post
    Took most of my life, but finally got my first airhead classic. 1978 R100S w/51K miles. Now to learn everything about it...

Attachment 36688
    Mike Barfield - Plant City, FL
    '07 R1200 GS - '75 R90/6 - '93 R100GS PD - '71 R60/5 - 2 X '73 R75/5 LWB - '83 R80 ST
    Picts

It's a great looking bike

Quote Originally Posted by chasemotorman View Post
    Took most of my life, but finally got my first airhead classic. 1978 R100S w/51K miles. Now to learn everything about it...

Attachment 36688
    I think you got a sweet looking machine, a great airhead, congrats on your first airhead it's a great adventure. Your gonna have a blast if you love tinkering and playing around with machines they are the ones to have, congratulations on the acquisition. Enjoy
    Glenn
    ...driving to work on my airhead
    '74 R60/6, '75 R60/6(boxes)

You've got disc brakes all around --duals in the front (good thing) and a really comfortable seat -- more useful for packing a companion
    than the origional S seat.(and less prone to scratching the paint when you strap a big bag to it)...and low bars and proper bags. If it runs and handles...it's a treasure. The only BMW's that look like they came from the factory are entered in Concours events. If you have problems....this is the place for answers. If you don't...head directly to "Campfire" and the jokes...

Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Here's a picture of my '75 R75/6, currently with 218,000 miles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just getting broken in

Quote Originally Posted by festes View Post
    Here's a picture of my '75 R75/6, currently with 218,000 miles.
    Mike Barfield - Plant City, FL
    '07 R1200 GS - '75 R90/6 - '93 R100GS PD - '71 R60/5 - 2 X '73 R75/5 LWB - '83 R80 ST
    Picts

My refreshed 1995 R100 Mystik

My new paint job was inspired by the BMW Special European Paint on some of the Mystiks overseas. My dog wanted different colors.

stokester

On the Blue Ridge Parkway

To the Gathering of the Clans in North Carolina.

Nick - Yorktown VA
    78 R100S
    91 R100RT
    93 K75S

Crusty rejuvinated.............

In December 2011 I brought home a 1973 R75/5 SWB that hadn't run in quite a few years.

crusty rejuvinated..............

After a little over a year the R75 has grown to be a LWB and is finally ready for the road.

"Crusty" indeed! Beautiful bike now-great looking work.

chasemotorman
    Quote Originally Posted by subagon View Post
    Since everyone is pilling on...

The front turn signals are incorrect for is bike. You have the older aluminum bodied style which were on the '70 to '74 models (and a few early '75 models). The good news is that the aluminum turn signals are NLA (repos are) and you could easily sell/trade them for the black plastic ones (still available from BMW) and pocket the difference.

It does seem like something bad happened to it in the past, enough to damage the tank, seat, and a few other minor things. Don't let it bother you, there are lots of "muts" on the road.

I can't make out what seat that is, but didn't the "S" have a cowling around the rear of the seat like the RS and RT?

Here's a bunch of R100S pictures. http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photopages/photosr100s.htm

You guys have sharp eyes, and are validating my same suspicions. The bike didn't look like any other S models of that era I had seen, although the VIN (frame & engine) does check as a '78 R100S (really, that means '77, right?). The tank does look /6, although I've since seen other S bikes w/same tank. Although it didn't come w/the S-fairing (anyone have one for sale?), there are still mounts on the fork for one. And I would have preferred the rear cowling. It is a mutt, for sure and I agree something not so good probably happened to it. When I raised these questions with my local Airheads group, the consensus was a resounding, "meh".

WRT to the important issue - how does it run? Well, its been cold here so I've only had it out a half-dozen times since purchase, but I'd have to say pretty sweet. It vibrates more than I expected and my clutch and shifting have room for improvement. Takes a bit longer to warm up than I do, and always seems at its best just when put away.

I've since attended a tech day strip-down of a R90/6 and am now looking for a restoration project of my own. I gots the airhead bug bite, bad.

Europe sees bikes one year early, and year of manufacture is usully year previous to listed year. '78 was first year with hinged shifter set up, '77 and earlier had one-piece shifter; yours has the hinged one. its been thru a crash, and then re-done,,, but does appear to be a 1978.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

My 1973 R75/5

On a late afternoon ride..

IMG_20120821_173143.jpg

Welcome aboard Bil. We're riding pretty much the same bike, down to the Brown's side stand.

Where did you score your tank cover? I haven't seen any like it for years. I have a not-so-pretty big tank that it would be the perfect cure for.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Not mine, found the photo on another forum. Some interesting modifications...

ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182