Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grand Canyon (Pennsylvania's) and Back

DanGreene
    Great report. Thanks for taking the time to post it. My wife and I were through there in August and had a wonderful ride. I always knew PA had mountains, but I was pleasantly surprised with how beautiful the area is.

Terrence, spectacular journey and report! Ever since I drove a bit of Western-Central PA on my way home from the National, I've wanted to return to and explore the state in more detail. Thank you for presenting and inspiring.

Thumbs up

Thanks for posting. Looks like a great ride. Thats a nice solo trip and good mileage, especially on the S.

USERNAME
    great ride report, and great photos.

Great area, nice write up. Can't wait to see the pics.

Pics are great, too. Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by bobs98; 11-07-2007 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanGreene View Post
    Great report. Thanks for taking the time to post it. My wife and I were through there in August and had a wonderful ride. I always knew PA had mountains, but I was pleasantly surprised with how beautiful the area is.
    Now I know why they're called the Endless Mountains.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

Quote Originally Posted by empeg9000 View Post
    Thanks for posting. Looks like a great ride. Thats a nice solo trip and good mileage, especially on the S.
    Since I don't own an RT yet I had some reservations about the S but the heated option won me over. I've never done more than long day trips on it before and wasn't sure how back to back to back days would go. I also stopped plenty of times, at least twice a day for gas. I wouldn't want to ride on the interstate all day, but this trip was great with the S.
    Terence

Nice trip and photos. There are many awsome roads in this area. I was through this region about one month ago doing some gravel road exploration.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by terham View Post
    Since I don't own an RT yet I had some reservations about the S but the heated option won me over. I've never done more than long day trips on it before and wasn't sure how back to back to back days would go. I also stopped plenty of times, at least twice a day for gas. I wouldn't want to ride on the interstate all day, but this trip was great with the S.
    I loved being in the Poconos on my S last year and had a blast. The Nova Scotia trip on the S was also a blast but I think its also what got me thinking seriously about a new bike.

You want any parts? I got lots of S goodies around.

Rally Rat
    Terance, great report, I've been on some of those roads when we went riding to a friends cabin. Would love to spend more time up that way. I had been trying to get some guys to do a weekender, but we can never get our schedules together. Looks like it will have to wait 'til spring now. We head back to New Orleans for a week on 11/11 to continue Katrina relief, so with travel it eats up 2 weekends. It wil be December before I have any free time..................

Thanks for the great pictures, John

Quote Originally Posted by empeg9000 View Post

You want any parts? I got lots of S goodies around.
    Nothing fell off the bike this trip so I think I'm OK.
    Terence

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    Quick put those beakers down. It is bad chemistry showing people central Vermont and labeling it as Pennsylvania. Please everyone stay away. First off we are the Keystone state that means everyone headed to or from the Northeast must pass this way. That means lots of traffic, trucks, cars, and hikers. The eastern areas are bedroom communities for New York City and Philadelphia. So if you want to meet those kind go to the City, they do.

Infrastructure ? Well all our bridges are falling down, our roads rival those of Columbia and east Africa so if you want GS practice you will be fine but stay home. The roads go no where except to ancient Native American hunting grounds. Great places with acid rain filled lakes and bug infested trees. Most of the remote cabins in these wonderful lush forests are meth labs that help your children become business people in High School. I guess that is why Pennsylvania has a booming Dept. of Corrections.

People ? First the hole state was a coal field, lumber lot, or a Railroad that employed cheap European labor to fuel the industrial revolution. For the women there were silk mills. The Place is full of second and third generation eastern Europeans, 7th generation Germans, and our newest generation of Hispanics which is a Gringo name (because I trying to keep the thread small by not listing all the countries). One town was able to push only English spoken here theme and now it is signed into law. The only trouble they can't find someone to teach it. Don't forget the Russians are coming. Of course they have great restaurants here but the state decreased Public Health funding also.

Animals ? Lots of deer that can get you killed, the center counties have Elk somewhere. We have ground hogs or what we can woodchucks which move as fast as a cider block. Don't worry most of the road kill was dragged off by Mountain Lions so no fear waiting for the volunteer ambulance and being struck again. Other dangers are the Elderly. I think we are ranked 3rd for the most in the US. They sure can keep your skills sharp. The Amish trained their horses to **** on the roads to add to the driving pleasure.

Our towns are dying or being filled up with what was chased out of New York and Philadelphia. They are old coal patch towns now abandoned or becoming a super fund clean up sites. After all where do you think the eastern seaboard puts their trash ? Please stay away there is nothing here. Unless you want to see where Hillery grew up, our next President.

Wow sounds like a Great Rally Site. At least by this report and photos.
    That's what I meant to say but couldn't find the words. You'll also have to start paying to use I-80. Better to bypass PA all together.
    Terence

mrich12000

Thumbs up Super

Short drive to the lake.

loved your pics. Happy Halloween.

I would like to find the Grand Cannon; A my pics are from the Newcastle area.

Bill Burke
    Terence-
    From the looks of your trip report, you've got about 99% of what needs figuring out figured out. Thanks for the report.

campground

Great report and pictures!

We ride this area alot and have found a great campground just outside of Wellsboro Pa. that is motorcycle friendly.

http://www.stonyforkcamp.com/

thanks for taking time to share your trip with us.

jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294