Thread: Grand Canyon (Pennsylvania's) and Back

Hybrid View

Grand Canyon (Pennsylvania's) and Back

I wanted to see PennsylvaniaÔÇÖs Northern Tier and visit the Grand Canyon of PA. I waited for SaturdayÔÇÖs 5 inch rainfall to end and left Sunday. I took the R1100S since it has heated grips and an outlet for my heated jacket so I put on the saddlebags, loaded up and took off Sunday morning.

Day 1.
    I left about 8am and took I476 north and I81 to get north quickly. A little north of here is the Lehigh Tunnel that goes through a tall ridge. The weather is often cooler, foggier, snowier etc on the other side of the tunnel.

I came out the other end to windier, cooler weather and stopped at the first rest stop to hook up the electrics. I took I81 to the Lakeside exit and headed west on PA706. It got cloudier as I went north and I hit showers around Scranton and heavier showers in Montrose.

PA706 ends in Wyalusing where I picked up PA6 and headed west.

I went through lots of small towns that had a lot of nice old Victorian homes. I liked Towanda, Mansfield and Wellsboro among several. PA6 is a scenic road and a good way to make time across northern PA. Traffic was pretty light so I made good time.

In Wellsboro I turned south for the Grand Canyon.

Although itÔÇÖs not THE Grand Canyon, itÔÇÖs pretty spectacular. Most of the leaves are down but it was still worth the trip.

I decided to head for Lyman Run SP south of Galeton for the evening.

It was a scenic ride to the SP and I was the only camper. As I pulled in an icy rain started to fall so I set up quickly and soon the rain stopped. The forecast was a low of 25 and I was hoping for no snow. I actually had a nice evening with a warm fire watching nighttime fall.

Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

Nice pictures Terence! I was out to the grand canyon (PA) last summer. It was a little warmer than 25 degrees. Glad you enjoyed the ride. Route 6 is a great ride.
    Larry
    2004 R1150RT

Day 2

The overnight forecast was a low of 25 with a heavy frost. I think the forecast was accurate. Ice in your water bottle in your tent is never a good sign.

It took me a while to get started due to the cold but I hit the road around 10:30 and headed back to PA6.

There's a nice stretch west of Coudersport.

I went as far west as East Smethport and headed south on PA46. ThatÔÇÖs a fun road and as I went south there was more color and leaves left on the trees.

In Emporium I picked up my favorite road of this trip ÔÇô PA120, the Bucktail Trail. It follows Sinnemahoning Cr for mile after mile. I had read of this road on the ADVrider site for great river roads. It snakes along as it changes elevation and was a blast to ride.

In Hyner, I took the winding road up to Hyner View ÔÇô well worth the trip.

The view is very nice.

I wouldÔÇÖve liked to have stayed around and watched these guys take off...

...down this ramp...

...but I took off instead to finish riding the road into Loch Haven.

I turned south in Loch Haven and headed for Black Moshannon SP for the evening.

Terence

Day 3

Black Moshannon was very crowdedtwo other campers. I was up early to the sound of geese and broke camp.

I hope my map makes it one more day.

With the sun up I left around 8:30.

Toured the SP a little and then headed off on PA504 down to the valley.

I took PA144 south through Bellafonte. Thats a pretty town that Id like to spend some time in. PA45 took me east

where I picked up my second favorite road of the trip, PA235 and headed south. The ridges in this part of the state run SW to NE, so any road that goes N/S tends to run over a series of ups and downs as you go over each ridge. This was no exception.

I took a rest stop and checked the oil level. Even with 12K miles, I still have to add oil regularly.

The road ended at the Susquehanna and I had planned on taking the Millersburg ferry. You swing the gate to call the ferry and then wait.

And wait...

Unfortunately, I found out the ferry wasnÔÇÖt in service.

Pretty sobering to see the high water marks.

I headed south to a more modern crossing on PA22/322 to get on the home side of the river.

Along PA895...

Up and over Hawk Mtn.

I was home by 3:30 and had done 800 miles over the three days. No high mileage days, but I think I saw a lot. I certainly enjoyed myself and would love to go back and ride the Millersburg ferry, PA235 and PA120 again.

More pics http://terham.smugmug.com/gallery/3743059#215140423
    Terence

stealthrider
    Great report. I've spent a couple of days just NW of Smethport in the Bradford area last year.. Wonderful riding.. Hope to go back next year..

Never knew there was such a canyon.
    Thanks for a great report and pictures.
    Bravo - you are a hardy camper my friend.
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

On a Ride
    terham... Wonderful report. Beautiful pics.

Grand Canyon

Thanks Terence. Wonderful. Time to dig out my eastern maps.

Rinty