Thread: Searching For The Snow Geese

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Searching For The Snow Geese

The roads are wide open during the week as I leave the I-87 (the Northway behind and head up 9N toward the Champlain Bridge and Vermont.

Lake George along the eastern edge of 9N. These roads are among the favorites of Empeg9000.

The colors were near peak along the way.

At Crown Point, just before the Champlain Bridge, an unusual sight - the vintage Union Jack was flying. Maybe the Brits are reclaiming some of their territory.

A flock of the elusive Snow Geese.

They are called Snow Geese since a flock of them arising or descending can look like a flurry of snow.
    This was about as close as I got. The VT Fish and Wildlife Department plants hundreds of acres of corn, buckwheat and green forage crops. The geese keep well away from tourists. They have no need to depend on tourists for handouts.

The sign says:
    Snow Geese are relatively new to the Dead Creek Refuge having begun to use the area as recently as 1961. Their numbers continued to increase annually and peak populations present here in mid-October exceed 20,000 birds.

Snow Geese do not breed here but use the refuge for resting and feeding in both spring and fall. They pass through the Lake Champlain migrational corridor twice each year between their wintering grounds in the mid-Atlantic states and their breeding areas in the Arctic reaches of eastern Canada. The birds arrive at Dead Creek in mid - to late March and leave in early April. We welcome their return in early October as large flocks descend onto these agricultural fields to rest and feed through November in preparation for the remainder of their southward journey.

The snow geese here are mostly greater snows. Lesser snow geese are similar in appearance, although slightly small and generally occur further west. A few of the lesser snows, including dark-colored individuals referred to as "Blue Geese," may also be observed.

Young snow geese are dusky colored in contrast to the snow white plumage of adults. All find the refuge's combination of corn, buckwheat and green forage crops excellent for replenishing energy reserves needed for migration.

The return trip home. Those are the Adirondacks in the foreground.

Sailboat on Lake George

I choose RT8 to get back to I-87 and a dash home since it was getting windy and cold. This is a pull-off along Route 8 in the Adirondacks. It seems to say, Winter is on the way.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 10-30-2007 at 03:06 AM. Reason: fix grammatical and spellimg errors.

Great report Paul. I guess you didn't make it over to Danbury? I thought about it but I was done riding by noon yesterday.

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    I did make it to Danby and have some pictures to post later in the day. Max sponsored a great GS ride and meet some of the crowd at Mt Tabor General Store for Lunch. Ben Stratton, Max's brother saved by bacon when my GS died and he pushed the bike uphill in a big parking lot to get the GS jump started.

Headed to Orlando tomorrow and will be in Washington for the weekend. Might even have a chance to stop and kick some tires at Bob's to occupy time while waiting for a flight at BWI.

Very busy! Busier now then when I was working.

mrich12000

Arrow They Finally paid the rent

At Crown Point, just before the Champlain Bridge and unusual sight - the Union Jack was flying. Maybe the Brits are reclaiming some of their territory.

Yes Paul we asked politely
    for the land taxes the American Colonial Congress had reneged on,back in the deliberations of the 1812 war reclamations and return of Detroit and Michigan to the Amreican and the New government gave the land back( )
    To Canada So welcome you are a new Canadian..

Enjoy your ride, you can expect your GST cheque in the mail also you need to apply for your passport and old age supplement of $1200 per month. Just think of it now you have a social health that is almost fully paid for. Just think of the extra spending power you have with your new currency at $1.4 make sure you exchange the old U.S currency for your new bucks

Now ain't that cute See ya Chief, Michael..
    Last edited by mrich12000; 10-29-2007 at 07:27 PM. Reason: poke poke

Canadians:

Polite, unarmed Americans with with health care!

I must be missing something.

With another thread on the forum about some big chemical plant explosion, maybe I should be heading north. But then again those Snow Geese are headed south.

SNC1923
    Great pictures, Paul. Thanks for having us along on your ride!

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post

At Crown Point, just before the Champlain Bridge an unusual sight - the Union Jack was flying. Maybe the Brits are reclaiming some of their territory.
    Nice photos!
    That's the 'old' Union Jack which is pre-1801 flying above His Majesty's Fort at Crown Point.... http://www.historiclakes.org/crown_pt/CrownPt.html
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

Burnszilla,

Thanks for a wonderful link to Crown Point.

I never knew there was so much history there.

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

OldAndBusted
    i did my own day trip through there about a week ago, from the other direction.

saw lots of geese too.

gorgeous trip.

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n...cks/?start=100

RK Ryder
    Thank you for sharing your ride with us Paul. The pictures are great.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333