Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Boots for the GS rider?

Kary, how much protection do ya want?

As you know, the more protection, the less walk'n ability.

The most protective MX boot can provide comfort for all day ride'n, it's the walk'n that is the issue.

For me, I use my Sidi On Roads for just that, on road. I use my Sidi Discoveries for off road.

The reason I don't use On Roads or CTB for off road is they offer no real support if ya have to put yur foot out to catch yourself on a 600 lb. beast. My ankle just rolls over in my On Roads if I do that. In my Discoveries my ankle is supported.

A second reason is the stiff sole of the Discovery, or any off road boot, allows you to stand on the pegs in rough stuff for hours with no foot pain.

I can spend 12+ hour days in my Discoveries with no problem. I just carry sandals or tennis shoes to change into when IÔÇÖm gonna be walkÔÇÖn much.

Originally posted by Rad
    Kary, how much protection do ya want?

As you know, the more protection, the less walk'n ability.

The most protective MX boot can provide comfort for all day ride'n, it's the walk'n that is the issue.

For me, I use my Sidi On Roads for just that, on road. I use my Sidi Discoveries for off road.

The reason I don't use On Roads or CTB for off road is they offer no real support if ya have to put yur foot out to catch yourself on a 600 lb. beast. My ankle just rolls over in my On Roads if I do that. In my Discoveries my ankle is supported.

A second reason is the stiff sole of the Discovery, or any off road boot, allows you to stand on the pegs in rough stuff for hours with no foot pain.

I can spend 12+ hour days in my Discoveries with no problem. I just carry sandals or tennis shoes to change into when IÔÇÖm gonna be walkÔÇÖn much.
    Rad,
    Thanks for the notes. I was hoping you might chime in.

how much protection? I don't really know. I'm a street guy that's only just discovered how much fun it is to ride off-pavement and that my street boots aren't up to the task. Since my street boots are dying, and my budget is only so big, this next pair needs to split the difference. I'm certainly not going to use/abuse them like you would, but won't coddle them like Fish would either.

I think I want a Discovery Light.

-scott

p.s. Your idea of bringing along a pair of light walking shoes along is a bit too easy and intelligent.

Originally posted by knary
    p.s. Your idea of bringing along a pair of light walking shoes along is a bit too easy and intelligent.

My think'n is: I always wanna have good enough walk'n/hike'n shoes and enough water to walk out of any place I've off roaded into.

Get'n new gear is always fun.

Good luck

Originally posted by Rad
    My think'n is: I always wanna have good enough walk'n/hike'n shoes and enough water to walk out of any place I've off roaded into.

Get'n new gear is always fun.

Good luck
    Again, thanks.

One silly question:
    How are you securing your riding boots when you're off walking around?

-scott

p.s. you should post one of those recent shots of you in the mud.

Originally posted by knary
    I'm certainly not going to use/abuse them like you would,
    Don't know what yur talk'n about

I like those funky BMW boots....

But then again, look at what I ride.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Originally posted by KBasa

I like those funky BMW boots....

But then again, look at what I ride.
    heh

Having looked like a bag of skittles (Rubber Cow's words, not mine) for some years, I'm leaning towards something a bit more tasteful and subdued. BUT given the choice between good looking boots that don't quite work the way I want, and boots of "questionable" style that work well...I'll take the ones that work well.

dlearl476
    Knary-I have a pair of Alpinstar "Vector" boots that I love. Although they might not fit your requirements in several areas. They're a little pricey (MSRP $233 but you can find the ~$200 if you shop around) the might be more water "resistant" than proof, I've worn mine in several rainy wet rides and they held up great, the have a neoprene liner and the front is mostly plastic, but the Pacific North-Wet, I don't know. Re-Sole, I don't know. Although most MX generally, and Alpinstar specifically are, these have a molded sole so I can't say.
    Armor, they got it, comfort they got it. I wore them to Baja one year and I took my flip flops out of my panniers exactly once, to go to the beach, in 10 days. All day WALKING comfort. (Athough the two mile hike to a "point-confluence" location I did the first day I had them was a bit much! )

Originally posted by dlearl
    Knary-I have a pair of Alpinstar "Vector" boots that I love. Although they might not fit your requirements in several areas. They're a little pricey (MSRP $233 but you can find the ~$200 if you shop around) the might be more water "resistant" than proof, I've worn mine in several rainy wet rides and they held up great, the have a neoprene liner and the front is mostly plastic, but the Pacific North-Wet, I don't know. Re-Sole, I don't know. Although most MX generally, and Alpinstar specifically are, these have a molded sole so I can't say.
    Armor, they got it, comfort they got it. I wore them to Baja one year and I took my flip flops out of my panniers exactly once, to go to the beach, in 10 days. All day WALKING comfort. (Athough the two mile hike to a "point-confluence" location I did the first day I had them was a bit much! )

Thanks.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Originally posted by Rad
    ya see Knary, if you ride the GS the way Rad does, you'll never see what color the boots are.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Originally posted by BradfordBenn
    ya see Knary, if you ride the GS the way Rad does, you'll never see what color the boots are.

you can still see the KTM orange tho.
    "No one wants advice -- only corroboration." -John Steinbeck

Like San Jose BMW Motorcycles on Facebook.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Originally posted by fish
    you can still see the KTM orange tho.
    If it ain't BMW I don't see it. Now anyone seen my glasses?
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Originally posted by BradfordBenn
    If it ain't BMW I don't see it. Now anyone seen my glasses?
    German....Austrian...Like there's a difference

H2bill
    Two questions....

1. How waterproof are the Discovery's (assuming the river isn't up to your knees )?

2. Have you looked at the BMW Savannah's? I haven't tried them on yet but they look like they'd be a good compromise between on road and off.

Has anyone owned a pair of the Savanna's and can give some feedback on them?

(Okay, I guess that was three questions, sorry .

Originally posted by Makalu
    Two questions....

1. How waterproof are the Discovery's (assuming the river isn't up to your knees )?

2. Have you looked at the BMW Savannah's? I haven't tried them on yet but they look like they'd be a good compromise between on road and off.

Has anyone owned a pair of the Savanna's and can give some feedback on them?

(Okay, I guess that was three questions, sorry .
    The Discovery boots are supposed to be fantastic...but a bit on the massive/clunky side for everyday use.

The BMW offerings look like exactly what I want, but the price is simply too much. Hmmm...I a little mental calculation...20% off through Chicago BMW would put the Savannah boots right in my price range. I'm going to go try some on ASAP.