Thread: R1200 GSS Adventure

Unavailable for comment

R1200 GSS Adventure

Open letter to BMW Motorrad: I was at the dealer's on Saturday. The GS Adventure bikes I think most everyone would agree are perhaps the best all around bike ever made. It would look good on Rodeo Drive or any other high end real estate in the world and it performs as better or better than any other off-road bike in the world.

But, there are many others out there like me who do not have a 36"+ inseam. You've sold 100,000 of these bikes. Make a factory lowered option for those with 32" or 30" inseams and you will sell a million of them. Probably in a short time. Seriously.

The GSS' second "S" above stands for "Short" version. Maybe GSL with the L for lowered. Any designation but please make one for the population at large.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

The do make a factory lowered version of the F650, called the GSL.

- Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that? - Lisa Clayman
    - A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain. --Robert Frost

I moved this to the hexheads forum where it will probably feel more at home.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Unavailable for comment
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    I moved this to the hexheads forum where it will probably feel more at home.
    Ok, thanks.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Unavailable for comment
    Quote Originally Posted by einnar View Post
    The do make a factory lowered version of the F650, called the GSL.
    Yes, but I want a 1200. An 800GS would be nice, kind of bring them back to their adventure roots with the engine size. But I want a factory GS that works for the other 1/2 of the population that includes me. No, not just the good looking 1/2 but the vertically challenged 1/2.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

You can lower the GS by installing shorter Wilbers shocks.
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
    You can lower the GS by installing shorter Wilbers shocks.
    I lowered my wife's GSA by just installing regular GS shocks and putting on a BMW low seat. She is 5' 8" and is now flat footed on it.

I watch some previews of the "Long Way Down" and they went through a couple shock absorbers... the shocks failed more than once and they were stuck, couldn't go anywhere. I'm sure they had another one with them, and all. But still...

I don't think its as good if not better as any other dirtbike. The thing is too heavy, too fat, and the final drives are known for going out.

The R1200GS Adv. is not an off road bike... Its more like an street bike, which can go off roading, but not much.

But hey, its one hell of a touring bike, nice comfy seating position, and a large tank. What is it 400 miles between stops?

SNC1923
    I love my GSA.

It's a great touring bike. I've ridden in the dirt (dirty roads, really) but wouldn't do anything like I do on my KLX 650.

My inseam is somewhere less than 30 inches. I feel pretty secure. Don't underestimate yourself.