Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Helmets -- the great and not-so-great

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Originally posted by lorazepam
    modular=no snell rating
    Yes, we know, but is there a separate DOT rating for street and off road helmets?

Jim

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    I don't know why there would be, when you fall off your head hits things. If there were, it would have to be made clear on the helmet I would imagine.

I don't know why there would be, when you fall off your head hits things. If there were, it would have to be made clear on the helmet I would imagine.
    I would generally agree. Logic would say that similer requirements would have to be met. However, I have yet to see a government organization which subscribes to logic!

Jim

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    I am sure they would have to for the folks in California. It seems they need to be reminded of every possible risk with ample signage

I am sure they would have to for the folks in California. It seems they need to be reminded of every possible risk with ample signage
    Good point. I am amazed we don't have warnings and disclaimers pasted all over the helmets!

Jim

I bought a Shoei X-11 last year and looked at the Bombardier Modular when I was looking around. A friend of mine bought one and says it works really well for him. The only thing I see that could possibly be a problem is the face shield is two layer flexible plastic vs. a single layer hard plastic like every street helmet I've seen. I don't know it that makes a difference really or not. The dealer (of course) said it did. But then again, it was a Honda place..(ick...I said the "H" word)

Re: Re: Ski-doo helmet

Originally posted by JimVonBaden
    The web site says it's DOT rated, but doesn't say if that is for the street, and it isn't snell rated. I would like to see more.
    From what I've been able to learn about the DOT standard, it's the same for all motor vehicle helmets. The standard (FMVSS 218) itself states that it's intended for "motorcyclists and other motor vehicle users." There do not appear to be separate standards for motorcycles and snowmobiles. If you want to read the whole bloody text of the DOT standard here's a link to it:

FMVSS 218 (DOT helmet standard)

Snell does not have a separate category for snowmobile helmets. They seem to have standards for just about anything else, including skiing, go-karts, and mopeds, but not snowmobiles. I presume the motorcycle and/or automotive racing standards would probably be good enough . If you're interested in browing the various Snell standards, here they are:

Catalog of Snell helmet standards

Finally, in case you weren't aware of it, there's an updated Snell motorcycle helmet standard on the way, slated for 2005. It will include, among other things, explicit standards for flip-up helmets (essentially they'll have to meet all the same standards as a regular full-face helmet). For a summary of the changes in the new 2005 standards see

Summary of changes in Snell 2005 standards

For for full draft standards see:

Snell draft standards
    DesertRider in sunny Arizona, USA

OK Desert Rider, I am impressed!Great information!

Thanks,

Jim