Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 08 Rally Roads!

Roads to Ride & Sites to See Around Gillette WY

Quote Originally Posted by Rharrod View Post
    I will add some Roads for the ones coming to the 08 Rally, that may interest some of you. As well as some things in the Area to maybe do or see. I will add to this thread as I can. I'm at work this weakend, So I will See what roads I get time for. This is a place that You can also post good roads to ride here in N.E. Wyoming Area and all the states around that may be fun to hit on the way in or out from the rally! So Add your Road. From Gillette, there are a lot of good Loops to take, for day trips or a nice afternoon ride from here. Here is just one to start with. Day Trip. Big Horn Loop, From Gillette take HW14/16 North to Spotted Horse, Clearmont, and Ucross. Then take HW 14 to Sheridan,WY. Take I-90 up to Ranchester. Take HW14 to Burgess Jct. then Down threw Shell Cannon, also stop at the rest area to see the water falls. Then on down to Greybull,WY. Take HW 20 to Manderson then take 31 over to Ten Sleep,WY. Take HW16 up the South side of the Big Horns up to Medowlark lake then on up to Powder River Pass. Then Down to Buffalo,WY. Then 68 miles of I-90 back to Gillette. So there is one trip. Richard
    Richard,
    Thank you very much for all your postings on sites to see and roads to ride in the Gillette Wyoming vicinity/area for the BMWMOA National Rally. I will check them out during my travels in July '08. Your positive posting to "Why Gillette?" is refreshing.
    Richard

Rharrod

Nice Little Loop.

From Cam-Plex go East on HW 14/16 to Rozet. Just East from there is a paved road South called Bishup Road. Take it South. It loops around back to the west and comes out South of Gillette at HW 59. Then North back into Gillette. Richard

Rharrod

Thumbs up Lots of things to See!

There are lots of things to do and see in the Black Hills! You know about Devils Tower, Mt. Rushmore, and Crazy Horse. You know of all the cool roads in Custer State Park. Now did you know about all the Caves? If not and its hot out side and your in good shape, your in for a treat!!! Try Jewel Cave Nat'l Park. From Gillette, Go to Moorcroft,WY then take HW 16 past Newcastle into South Dakota. I'm thinking its only 18 miles in side S.D. to the cave is all. Yes on HW 16 all the way. If you don't like that one. You can go South from Custer,SD on HW 385 to Wind Cave, if you like! As you see with all the loops and stuff to see, one can do alot all in the same day and return back to Cam-Plex in a day!!!! Richard

Rharrod

Thumbs up A Must see and do trip!

If you make the trip out here. If you do nothing eles, you have to do Beartooth and Chief Joseph scenic highways!!!! Let me say it one more time. You need to make this a part of your trip! From here in Gillette, you can make it a day trip. Most of you will need maybe two. From Gillette, I make this trip 13 hours with lot of stops and over a hour at Red Lodge,MT for lunch. If this is your first trip, take it slow to soak it all in. I Do this trip, in combo with the Big Horn Loop. So this is what I do. Take HW 14/16 North out of Gillette. Then at Ucross take HW 14 into Sheridan. Then I-90 up to Ranchester. Take HW 14 up top of Big Horn Mtns, to Burgess Jct. Now from here take 14ALT down into Lovell,WY. From here you need to stay on 14 for like three miles west tell you get to 114 north for ten miles. Then go North into MT on HW 310 for 25 miles, tell HW 72 South, pay attion it comes up fast! Stay 72 11 miles to Belfry,MT. Now take 308 West into Red Lodge,MT. Now, take lunch! Down town is Red Lodge pizza. Then after looking at all the shops and stuff. Time to get back to it! Take 212 up the Beartooth Pass. This will put you back into Wyoming. Down 212 to HW 296 and take this South, this is Chief Joseph HW 46 miles of nice! You will come out at HW 120, go South like 20 miles to Cody,WY. This maybe a good place to stay the night and take in all the Buffalo Bill stuff. Now if you need to stay at it, and run for Gillette. Go East on 14/16 across the high desert to Greybull. Then South on 789 to Basin and on to Manderson. Here you need to take 31 towards Hyattville. At 15 miles is the turn off to go to Ten Sleep,WY 20 miles. Now you come out here at HW 16 just west of Ten Sleep. OK For the ones that took in Cody here you go!!!!! For you, you need to go south from Cody. Take 120 south through Meeteetse,WY, at about 20 miles out from there you will see 431. Take it,yes take 431 East. It will come out at 789. From there go North into Worland,WY. Unless you would like to go see the HOT SPRING STATE PARK at Thermopolis,WY that is. It will come out at 789. From there go North into Worland,WY. After you get to Worland take HW 16 to Ten Sleep,WY. OK Now you should be all back with me! At Ten Sleep stop for a drink, now then back to it and up Ten Sleep Canyon. Up all most to the top is Meadowlark lake. On the east side is a nice paved parking spot. Get back on bike and make it up to Powder River Pass, then on down to the town of Buffalo,WY. Now, after all this. You get to get on I-90 expressway to Gillette. I hope you liked this one. Yep this sucks. Richard

Rharrod

Your trips!!!

OK, Lets see yours!!!!!!!!! Richard

judjones
    One of the big attractions for me will be some of the unpaved routes in the area. I'm prepared to take my Delorme and my GPS and go exploring, but I would sure like to hear about some unpaved riding from someone who has ridden the area extensively.

Rally Rat
    OK, Lets see yours!!!!!!!!! Richard
    Congratulations! You're responsible for 14 out the 23 posts on your own thread. Are you running out of roads?

Quote Originally Posted by kenk View Post
    Congratulations! You're responsible for 14 out the 23 posts on your own thread. Are you running out of roads?
    Well, he has posted considerably more than none.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Rharrod

Exclamation Wow!!! he can count!

No, not at all. Soon, I will be posting some road for the GSers! FYI, I will be responsible for more posts, yes on my own thread. That was the hole idea. I'm trying to help members, look at there maps, to suggest trips and help plan for a good trip to the 08 rally.

No, not at all. Soon, I will be posting some road for the GSers! FYI, I will be responsible for more posts, yes on my own thread. That was the hole idea. I'm trying to help members, look at there maps, to suggest trips and help plan for a good trip to the 08 rally.
    In all seriousness, Rharrod, rah, rah, sis boom ba to you, my friend! I appreciate this thread a lot as I am planning based on it! Not the GSers stuff as I ride an S, but the trips to date are grand, indeed. Keep up the good work!

Thanks. Jordan M aka Tweety1
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

It's always hard to determine the meaning of some posts on the internet. I sure hope this wasn't intended as sarcasm, aimed at someone trying to post some constructive ideas.
    Dan

Rharrod

Thumbs up Ok, Red and all GSers this one is for you.

This is for the GSers, Ok. I will start with some roads up in the Big Horn Mountains. Red Grade RD. Start from the town of Big Horn,WY. On the way this may be a good time to see Fort Phil Kearny it is a Nat'l Historic Landmark and has a State Museum as well. The whole area has a lot to see. It has lots of history as the Bozemen Trail went threw here! You must stop in and see the town of Store,WY. At Story there is a trail head. The Penrose Park trail. I have not been up it in years. But dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, horse back and hikers use it. It would be a tough trip on a GS I'm thinking. Also you would need to get a Permit to do so!!!!! Now on up to Big Horn. From Store,WY take HW 87 North to Big Horn. ( This maybe no help, but on 87 north part way up is a dirt county road that will take you to Big Horn. Ya I know. It's a road I take but I just can't think of the name. Sing will say to State Bird Farm, Maybe someone will know the name. ) At Big Horn Go West. At the Nat'l Forest it is road NF26 Red Grade road. This Road will take you up top of the Big Horn Mountains. If you take it all the way, you will come out on HW 14 just South of Burgess Junction. Up there I would go right and go up to Burgess Junction and stop in for a drink, Gas or a bite to eat. From there take NF15 road loop North. This loop will take you around to HW 14ALt. Now from there you may as will go right and stop over at the Medicine Wheel site. Yep, just something more to see!!! After that Take 14Alt back to Burgess Junction. From there You might take HW14 down throw Shell Canyon and see the water falls. I'm NOT a GSer, SO I don't know how you would be on time at this point. Maybe you can do a big loop and come out just South of Buffalo,WY. Back threw Shell Canyon and down to Shell,WY. Just past Shell on the way to Greybull,WY is a road called the Red Gulch Natl. Scenic Byway. This will take you South to Hyattvill,WY. From there stay South to Ten Sleep,WY. Stop have a cold one and maybe gas.Now your at HY16. Head back up the Big Horns and over to Buffalo,WY. On this rout you GSers may like to take NF31 that is a small loop back out to HW 16 on the way down the East side to Buffalo. Or at Ten Sleep, if you still have the time. Out from Ten Sleep there is a road that will take you up back side of Ten Sleep Canyon and up to NF32. Take NF32 North and all the way out to HW 16. From there go East down to Grazy Woman C.G. to NF33. Go on NF33 all the way down the Big Horns to HW 196. Now it maybe very late, so go North to Buffalo,WY and I-90 back to Gillette,WY. Now as noted before I don't know the time on this. But I think that it would be a fun trip. It maybe a two day trip also if you need time to look around a bit and you will. You just may have to stay a night in a camp ground up in the Big Horns. Now that would just be a pain. There is a lot more roads up there to see. I just hope, this will help you with a idea or two. Richard

This is for the GSers, Ok. I will start with some roads up in the Big Horn Mountains. Red Grade RD. Start from the town of Big Horn,WY. On the way this may be a good time to see Fort Phil Kearny it is a Nat'l Historic Landmark and has a State Museum as well. The whole area has a lot to see. It has lots of history as the Bozemen Trail went threw here! You must stop in and see the town of Store,WY. At Story there is a trail head. The Penrose Park trail. I have not been up it in years. But dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, horse back and hikers use it. It would be a tough trip on a GS I'm thinking. Also you would need to get a Permit to do so!!!!! Now on up to Big Horn. From Store,WY take HW 87 North to Big Horn. ( This maybe no help, but on 87 north part way up is a dirt county road that will take you to Big Horn. Ya I know. It's a road I take but I just can't think of the name. Sing will say to State Bird Farm, Maybe someone will know the name. ) At Big Horn Go West. At the Nat'l Forest it is road NF26 Red Grade road. This Road will take you up top of the Big Horn Mountains. If you take it all the way, you will come out on HW 14 just South of Burgess Junction. Up there I would go right and go up to Burgess Junction and stop in for a drink, Gas or a bite to eat. From there take NF15 road loop North. This loop will take you around to HW 14ALt. Now from there you may as will go right and stop over at the Medicine Wheel site. Yep, just something more to see!!! After that Take 14Alt back to Burgess Junction. From there You might take HW14 down throw Shell Canyon and see the water falls. I'm NOT a GSer, SO I don't know how you would be on time at this point. Maybe you can do a big loop and come out just South of Buffalo,WY. Back threw Shell Canyon and down to Shell,WY. Just past Shell on the way to Greybull,WY is a road called the Red Gulch Natl. Scenic Byway. This will take you South to Hyattvill,WY. From there stay South to Ten Sleep,WY. Stop have a cold one and maybe gas.Now your at HY16. Head back up the Big Horns and over to Buffalo,WY. On this rout you GSers may like to take NF31 that is a small loop back out to HW 16 on the way down the East side to Buffalo. Or at Ten Sleep, if you still have the time. Out from Ten Sleep there is a road that will take you up back side of Ten Sleep Canyon and up to NF32. Take NF32 North and all the way out to HW 16. From there go East down to Grazy Woman C.G. to NF33. Go on NF33 all the way down the Big Horns to HW 196. Now it maybe very late, so go North to Buffalo,WY and I-90 back to Gillette,WY. Now as noted before I don't know the time on this. But I think that it would be a fun trip. It maybe a two day trip also if you need time to look around a bit and you will. You just may have to stay a night in a camp ground up in the Big Horns. Now that would just be a pain. There is a lot more roads up there to see. I just hope, this will help you with a idea or two. Richard
    Wow. SLOW DOWN I'm trying to write all this down, your going too fast

WAY, Richard! Thanks for all the great roads you're bringing up here, Karol P. you writing these down somewhere?

Feel free to post here any time Rharrod....Your posts are devoured in my daydreaming and will get me through my long Minnesota Winter on time!

Red

Rharrod

Lightbulb GSers Bozemen Trail ride and Loop!

This may be a fun little loop for you GSers! Lets start at Gillette. Take HW 14/16 North. Threw the Wyoming city of Spotted Horse. At the Powder River is 341 South. Take it South to the town of Arvda,WY. From there go South on the Dirt. The road should take you down to where the Crazy Women Creek comes into the Powder River. If you stay south with the Powder River you will come out at I-90 at exit 88 the rest area. Go West to Buffalo,WY. If you did not go south, stay with the road and follow Crazy Women west and out on top. this will take you out to I-90 Exit 65. From there go West I-90 to Buffalo,WY. At Buffalo take I-25 South. Stay South I-25 for like 10 miles or so to Exit 291. From here go east. This will be the dirt road that along side the Bozemen Trail. Take this all the way back down to the Powder River. In this Area here is Fort Reno Historic Site. Stay on the Road on into Sussex,WY. Here You will come out at HW 192. Take 192 South threw Linch,WY ans onto HW 387. Now take 387 East to Pine Tree Jct. HW 50. Take HW 50 North back into Gillette,WY. I hope you injoy this loop. Richard