Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 10/27/07

Another great shot Voni! I really liked your post last week, too (very creative and meaningful--with gorgeous lighting). I don't want to steal Tom's thunder, but this week's effort had potential for some technical difficulties, but you avoided them nicely. What a great captured moment.
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    This one feels kind of underexposed and I'm not too psyched about the background. It did get the depth of field pretty well, though.

Tom, thanks for encouraging work with DoF. It made me finally get out the manual for my camera and start playing with the A program.
    I think your exposure is very close to being "right" (only a fraction of a stop under exposed). Years ago I took garden photography courses at a major horticultural facility (Longwood Gardens) and one of the things they stressed in composition is the flower (or other horticultural subject) is clearly the focal point of the frame, but back- and foregrounds* have diminished many otherwise great garden shots. Unless you intended it to be there, I wouldn't worry about it. Also every camera composed shot deserves a good cropping, and your's would take on a whole new look with a little perimeter clipping.

*Which is true of most compositions. There's an old adage "Check your corners," that means before you press the shutter look in the upper righthand corner, lower righthand corner, upper lefthand corner, lower lefthand corner of the frame. If you see something you don't want in a print, move your shooting position or zoom in.
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Should I be posting mine in the thread about nothing?

Kbasa, excellent description, that helped me a lot.
    Last edited by Rapid_Roy; 10-28-2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

SNOONE

View of The Warwick Valley from the Top of Mt. Peter

Sunday cool fall Morning
    Attached Images Attached Images

SNOONE

View of The Warwick Valley from the Top of Mt. Peter 2

wider angle

Lip's Wide Open
    Uke's HD
    Kenosha, WI

Hand held, no flash and no tripod. I was lucky and got a private tour of Uke's Museum. This bike was a give a way of the 1980's Stones tour. The owner traded it in on a dresser. What a dumb move.

Last edited by BeerTeam; 11-02-2007 at 10:55 AM.

DOF

Hit F11 on your keyboard for best viewing
    Last edited by BeerTeam; 11-02-2007 at 10:54 AM.

Crow18
    Wide angle, wide aperture.

SNOONE

iphoto and exif info

For those of you using Macs and iphoto and are upgrading to the new Leopard operating system it seems that the EXIF info that used to be available with Tiger is now no longer saved within the program. If you hit command I, the headings for exif are there but there is no info. The only info available now is date , time , kind and size of file.. Hopefully there will be a software update to correct this problem soon.

Sl??*inte mhath!

RandallIsland

Open Arch, Wide Bridge
    Last edited by RandallIsland; 10-29-2007 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Thematic notation

Rider
    Photographed at the Pittsburgh zoo.

darcym

wide open

My riding day is usually on Monday. plus lots of fire damage in the usual riding areas today (San Diego), so my photo ops came while in the back yard. Sorry for not being motorcycle related ... All at ISO 100

I saw this ant go into this flower, caught him as he was leaving ... just barely!

1/250
    Aperture: f/4.5

Yellow hibiscus - wanted more depth so f9.0

1/250
    Aperture: f/9.0

Brilliant red dragonfly, first I've ever seen in my yard!

1/800
    Aperture: f/4.0

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada

Larry's River: Wide Open

... three contributions of 'ordinary life in the wide open' at Larry's River, Nova Scotia.

The first is at the river's edge looking out to the ocean. Almost time to bring in the boats.

With no running water yet we draw from the well.

This last is looking up the river, away from the ocean, and opening into some fine trout territory.

I hope that I have good fortune posting these. Last time was a bit challenging ( ) -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA