Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 10/27/07

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    I don't know why, but I like this second shot even more, Jack.

Great sound effects ; )

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/attachme...1&d=1193668218

Voni
    sMiling
    I've got red cabooses too.
    Thanks on the sound effects. I tried to get just the right bell sound.
    I added the water last night...it needed water.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

grossjohann
    Quote Originally Posted by bricciphoto View Post
    Pretty cool! I once had this happen at a basketball game. I fellow photographer and I were facing each other on opposite sides of the court and triggered our shutters at the same moment. Serendipity aside, that's a neat shot.
    Hey, thanks! Do you still have the shot?

Nice images on your site, by the way...

first crack at this.

Skagit river behind autumn foliage.

Bridge with Open-wide hut (Middle section used to open wide to allow boats through-the controls were in the hut).

ditto, different angle.

sunrise on Beemerhill

I love mornings and sunrises. I wish my little point & shoot could have captured the vapors coming from the surface of the coffee in the crisp morning air.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Saturday we rode out to Davenport for a burger at Whale City Bakery. Then we rode south to Santa Cruz to go for a sundown sail in Monterey Bay. I was wearing my 'stich. As we exited the harbor a boater coming from the opposite direction yelled, "Nice motorcycle suit!"

Sailing in Santa Cruz

Sailing in Santa Cruz
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

I went for a nice ride yesterday in an attempt to find a nice photo. It was probably in the mid 40's when I was out. I DID see one or two other riders out who were not wearing any helmet (or just a peanut shell) who had that "I'm cool!" grimace on their face... or was that "Please send for help, my face is frozen in this position!"?

Anyhow, I wasn't going to post my photo result, because it didn't come out how I wanted. I was attempting a "wide open road" shot. I took several (at different angles and not all at ground level) but none of them gave that "road goes on forever with no cars on it" look I was going for. FWIW, the road DID go on for quite a long time, with no traffic on it, through wide open farm fields. All the corn is down and the only thing growing is winter wheat... and it's not that tall, yet. Here is one of the shots I took. Rather uninspired, I think (gives me a good reason to try again next week):
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK I'll confess that this one came from the weekend before the one of this assignment, but it'll have to do:

2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Awesome pictures this week. They seem to get better and better. Nice job folks.

I hope Tom gets some help reviewing these photos. About 60 photos this week, and at ten minutes per photo we are talking a bunch of work.

I enjoyed some of the in depth reviews of some photos of past weeks by various reviewers.

grossjohann
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerTeam View Post
    I hope Tom gets some help reviewing these photos. About 60 photos this week, and at ten minutes per photo we are talking a bunch of work.

I enjoyed some of the in depth reviews of some photos of past weeks by various reviewers.
    No kidding... I was thinking the same this morning.

I vote that he choose 5-10 of the best or most interesting and review only those. We want more participation, but can't tax even Tom with ten hours of reviews!

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    We all could help by submitting just one photo.

grossjohann
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    We all could help by submitting just one photo.

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by grossjohann View Post

Here’s my submission for the week. I’ll spare Tom a little work and offer my own critique. Others (including Tom) are welcome to add their remarks, too. I shot this on my way to church, literally while walking out the back door of my house. It just struck me as “wide open” because of the space between the terrestrial (my neighbor’s roof) and the moon were rather symbolic and obvious—and you can’t get much more open than that. I have a few different angles of this shot, but this one was the first exposure and I’ll leave it at that. I wanted to do a couple things with this shot: capture something appropriate to the theme, capture something simple that required little effort and capture something common in a somewhat less common view (relative to the theme). The trick and flaw of this shot was trying to capture the color of the morning sun, which was still yellowish (on the house) while keeping the moon and sky exposed properly. It’s under exposed about 1 stop. It was shot at ISO 100, 1/320 at f/4.8 with my P&S camera fully zoomed out to about an equivalent of 210 mms. I didn’t use a tripod so I had to shoot at least 1/200th or above to minimize motion blur from handholding. The proper exposure would have been about 1/125th. So to make this shot technically correct, I would have needed a more open aperture, which wasn’t available because f/4.8 is the max on my camera, so my best option should have been increasing the ISO to 200. And as a side note I have no excuse for the under exposure because this was shot facing northwest and the northern sky on a cloudless sunlit day has about 18% reflectance, which is about the same as a grey card—I just was in a hurry and not paying attention.

Compositionally I was just aiming for the simple geometry of the round moon and triangular roof line, while balancing (poorly) the contrasting yellowish sunlight against a clear blue sky.

That’s my story…and I’m sticking to it.

And excellent photos everyone else! It was a banner week.
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST