Thread: Why an F650?

Seat adjustment for an F650 CS?

I've just purchased a new F800S and I'm about to sell my wonder F650 CS.
    A new rider is about to purchase it, and she is about 5'6". Her fee certainly touch the ground, but not her full feet. Does anyone know if they make a lower saddle for the F650CS?

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Why not a K75RT for a first bike? Protection, reliability, entry level cost. It would be a terrific entry level bike for someone her size and give her good protection. She can sell it when and if she wants an upgrade, or if it doesn't stick. She would just about recover her entire purchase price.
    I have one of each (F650, K75RT) plus a couple of others. Nobody likes K75s any better than I do but in my opinion, hands down, the F650 is a better bike for a beginning rider - especially on a ride from Alaska to Wyoming. In fact, Voni and I are planning to ride from Texas to Alaska on our way to Wyoming. We plan on taking our F650s.

The F650 is lighter and more nimble. It will excell when she hits the construction zones on the Alaksa Highway. A K75 can do it. An RT can do it. A K1200LT can do it - but the F650 will be more fun.

Wind protection is an issue. Get a set of Aerostich tank panniers and an Aeroflow windshield. The Aeroflow cuts the wind on the chest and face, and the panniers cut the updraft past the front/sides of the tank. (I know - it's not a tank really - but on my '97 it is). And the space in the panniers is handy on a long trip too.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Rally Rat

lower seat

Quote Originally Posted by jabony View Post
    Does anyone know if they make a lower saddle for the F650CS?
    I'm told by my dealer that you can get a lower seat for the F650CS. I had the opposite problem. I just ordered a Rick Meyer seat to get some height.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    The 650 is a very capable bike and I smile when it is called a starter bike - since it can do it all and sip gas at the same time - I got about 65mpg+ when I was ride smooth and easy.

There is one drawback - the electrical system was never designed for adding a lot of electrical accessories. Too bad you are in Alaska. Here is a sweet deal on a one owner bike that took outstanding care of the machine.

Bike is located in Troy, NY at Max BMW Motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I have one of each (F650, K75RT) plus a couple of others. Nobody likes K75s any better than I do but in my opinion, hands down, the F650 is a better bike for a beginning rider - especially on a ride from Alaska to Wyoming. In fact, Voni and I are planning to ride from Texas to Alaska on our way to Wyoming. We plan on taking our F650s.

The F650 is lighter and more nimble. It will excell when she hits the construction zones on the Alaksa Highway. A K75 can do it. An RT can do it. A K1200LT can do it - but the F650 will be more fun.

Wind protection is an issue. Get a set of Aerostich tank panniers and an Aeroflow windshield. The Aeroflow cuts the wind on the chest and face, and the panniers cut the updraft past the front/sides of the tank. (I know - it's not a tank really - but on my '97 it is). And the space in the panniers is handy on a long trip too.
    Paul,

Thanks for the info. We,ll look for you on the road from Ak to Wy. If you are coming to Fairbanks and need a place to stay, then let me know. I run campus housing at the local university and can arrange a place for you.
    ---KLH

Unavailable for comment
    Just added another F650 to the stable. This time, it's a Fundaro and will be mostly used for going to the lake and hauling things there. The lake has gravel roads and my place is forested and steep so this'll be a perfect bike. More functional here than any of the GS' would be except perhaps the original R80G/S.

Don't get me wrong, the newer GS models are on my buy list but for the specific needs at the lake, I can't go wrong with this. And the fact that I'll only use about one gallon of gas for the 60 mile roundtrip, it's a keeper!

Regards,

Randy Kasal