Thread: slash 2 or Moto Guzzi

sfdave

slash 2 or Moto Guzzi

Vintage gang,

I've been thinking of picking up a /2 to run around on, then I saw a Guzzi Eldorado and kind of fell in bike lust ..... what do you all think of the Guzzi's? I know it ain't German, even though I read somewhere that the Germans helped with the police models. Any known serious problems etc.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom

ziegelreiter
    Quote Originally Posted by sfdave View Post
    Vintage gang,

I've been thinking of picking up a /2 to run around on, then I saw a Guzzi Eldorado and kind of fell in bike lust ..... what do you all think of the Guzzi's? I know it ain't German, even though I read somewhere that the Germans helped with the police models. Any known serious problems etc.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom
    I rode a '72 850 Eldorado for 6 years and over 70K. It was very dependable and handled pretty good, until I added floorboards. It was very easy to work on. If you show one of the heads to somebody they'll think it came off a VW. I think the 850 was the simplest 4 stroke engine I ever had to maintain. Up to then I'd only had BSA's though. Think 3 sets of points on a '69 Rocket Three.
    I used to tell Harley owners somebody put their engine in sideways. On a guzzi, the cylinders cool equally. The only major problem I had was a spring for the shifter broke, but an auto mechanic friend was able to fix it pretty easy.

sfdave
    Thanks for the replies. I am looking at a couple and will post pics if I pick one up!