Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tail Of The Dragon

Hybrid View

Talking Tail Of The Dragon

Okay when I was at the last chance rally people were talking abou the tail of the dragon something like 218 turns in 11 miles NICE!!! But here is my question has anyone rode it with a r100rs. I just want to know will my bike be able to do it and also if anyone has any tips for me "reimerdavids son" Thank You

bump

rocketman
    Any bike can do it, go to the tailofthedragon web site and check for the best times to do, when traffic is light, etc. you might even get a picture of you riding it. Be carefull though its a challenging road, go for smoothness not speed!

RM

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Any bike can do it, go to the tailofthedragon web site and check for the best times to do, when traffic is light, etc. you might even get a picture of you riding it. Be carefull though its a challenging road, go for smoothness not speed!

RM
    Have ridden The Dragon 19 times - will certainly ride it again.

As for your questions, couldn't answer it better than rocketman did.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Dragon flicks

These were taken last summer, while the rock slide still had the road closed at the north end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQX2FWSvWBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z-To..._order&list=UL

The helmet cam is mounted on my buddy's helmet. I'm in front on an R1200GSA while my buddy is on an R1200GS.

My buddy is a noob rider, and nearly wiped out two days earlier, having gone so wide in a right turn that he almost went in the ditch on the left side of the road. I was constantly concerned about how he was doing, and I did my best to keep him out of trouble. The Dragon is posted for only 30 mph, and it was patrolled heavily, another reason to sample other roads nearby...

We did the Dragon twice that day, and I really did get more comfortable doing many turns in quick succession, way more turns than I normally see in a month or more of riding.

Harry

john832

Yamaha Tour Deluxe

I used to live 30 miles from there and road the Tail often, even with a tank like the Tour Deluxe, a 1300cc V4 touring bike. If it was fun on that bike, you will be in heaven! There are many other rides in and around the area that are just as fun and less traveled too. ENJOY!

We were there the end of July- beginning of August. Weekends are crazy. Go mid-week if you can and early in the morning. Three people were killed riding the Dragon a couple days prior to the week-end we were there, and people were just riding/driving crazy, so we actually chose to check out some of the other local roads and save ther Dragon for a better day. Any road down there is a great ride.

MRBEEB
    Agree with RM, "smoothness not speed". (good tires and brakes).
    Never been there but nearly every motor-head I know has been, all have various stories like rclyon3, most just glowing from the experience.
    Depending on where you come from, getting there can be fantastic as well, especially if you hit VA (skyline drive), etc...
    I also have a MINI and a couple Ducatis and intend to go there also, probably on a week day with good weather or with an organized rational group of riders/drivers.
    I'd take my R75 on it, but that's another thing all together.
    If you go, take pics, tell us about it, please.

Quote Originally Posted by reimerdavid View Post
    Okay when I was at the last chance rally people were talking abou the tail of the dragon something like 218 turns in 11 miles NICE!!! But here is my question has anyone rode it with a r100rs. I just want to know will my bike be able to do it and also if anyone has any tips for me "reimerdavids son" Thank You
    Here is a picture of my 1977 R100RS at Deals Gap, rode it up and back with no problems!
    You have to know your own limitations and don't get over your head!
    The bike had no problem keeping up with a Honda ST1100 and a Susuki GS 1100 Katana.

Darryl
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

I never rode the Dragon, but it sure sounds a lot like Mt. Hamilton Road in San Jose. We count 419 turns in 19 miles there. I think a lot of the people injured on the Dragon must be from areas where there are few winding roads. Jerry " The Motorman" Palladino made a video about riding the Dragon where the local photographer said most accidents were caused by friends trying to ride over their heads to impress each other. Just take your own pace.

Quote Originally Posted by reimerdavid View Post
    Why wouldn't it be able to? It starts, right?!?!? If not, start on the North end and coast down...
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

Tail of the Dragon

David:

I rode an R 100 RS for 16 years and found it to be a very capable cornering machine, although mine had had the usual frame and suspension mods installed.

I found there were only two milieus where it wasn't that great:

1. in gravel, where the rear end tended to squirm and there wasn't enough bar leverage to really feel comfortable;

2. on a paved goat track of a road, west of Sisters, Oregon that was so tight the bike couldn't get out of it's own way (this wonderful road would have been great for a 250 cc supermotard).

A few years ago I was in L.A. for a few days, and took my rent a car down the Angeles Crest Highway. At Newman's Ranch, I chatted up a bunch of squid pilots and they finally asked me what I rode. The guy said something like: "Yep, the RS, great handling bike, and they give you lots of warning before you get in over your head". Needless to say, I was pleased that the bike got this kind of respect from the sport bike crowd.

So have fun on the Dragon.

Rinty

RK Ryder
    I had no problems riding the "Tail" a couple of weeks ago, with my K Bike. I rode it smooth and at my own pace. I did let one sport bike pass me that was obviously better at handling the curves at speed. I just wish that the three couples ahead of me for the first part of the road (a Harley trike, a Harley and a Gold Wing) had pulled over to let me pass them. Rode it on a Wednesday, October 3 with only a few other riders on the road. At that time, the photographers were still taking photos of us as we went by. Just treat it like a smooth dance as you sway back and forth and you'll enjoy the road. Enjoy!
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Where a bike will go is entirely up to you.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

The Dragon

Does anyone remember when the Dragon surface was just a thin coating of black top spread over tree roots and rocks?