Thread: Help with pricing an R50 /2

rocketman

Help with pricing an R50 /2

The wife of a former riding buddy and friend (now decreed) recently contacted me and asked if I could put out some feelers as to what her husband motorcycle might be worth as she has now decided to sell it. It is a 1964 R50 /2.

Some of you may have met or known him as over the years he was very active in the BMW community and owned a number of BMW’s. He also happens to be the individual that bestowed me with my motorcycling handle. His name was Jerry Cook and he was meticulous in maintaining his machines. I don’t know how many miles are on it but I do know he had spent some time restoring it prior to his death. It has a rather unique paint job, cream colored fenders and tank which his wife then painted with an accent of green vines with little yellow flowers running around the edges of both fenders and tank. It has been sitting for the past several years in a barn in PA but as far as I know it has been started a few times over the years and there is no reason that I know of why it should be an easy task to make it road worthy again with minimal effort.

So, what would be a reasonable asking price for such a beast? I know that the R50’s were considered something of a slug in the /2 line but I also know that it moved along smartly having ridden with him several times when he took it out.

Also, if anyone should be interested in purchasing it or just wants more info on it, PM me and I can contact Milli and pass your inquires along to her or have her contact you directly.

Thanks in advance

RM
    Last edited by rocketman; 10-19-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Lots of photos, please.
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

I never met Jerry, but he used to be active on the slash2 list. In fact, his website is still up and running, and is linked off the vintage club's website.

He really liked his wife's "pinstriping" job, made the bike look quite unique. These pictures are linked from his site:

--Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    I never met Jerry, but he used to be active on the slash2 list. In fact, his website is still up and running, and is linked off the vintage club's website.

He really liked his wife's "pinstriping" job, made the bike look quite unique. These pictures are linked from his site:

thanks, that's a big help since I don't have ready access to the machine as its several hundred miles away, though I may just ride up that way soon.

OK, so now we have pictures, any thoughts anyone?

RM

One rule of thumb that floats around is the $5K rule...$5K to purchase, $5K to mechanically restored, and $5K to do a ground up restoration. These numbers depends on the original state of the vehicle and how much work is done by the new owner. Although the R50/2 might not have as much demand as some of the larger displacement machines, or older machines, being well maintained bike may then hold more in price, thus some of the $5K for mechanical resto slides over into the $5K purchase price. Some future owners may be interested in keeping the unique paint scheme as a way of honoring the previous owner, but others might prefer to return the bike to its more classic looks, which will mean they have money to spend to do that.

Check the classifieds on the ibmwr site as well as ebay to get some sense of what the going rates are for various condition bikes.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

James.A
    I agree with the $5000 rule. Personally, I'd keep it as it is. It's already non-original, but, there can't be another one like it anywhere. VERY NICE. Regrettably, I am already fitting 4 bikes and 2 cars in a 2 car garage.

That's pretty. What a great bike. Enjoy it, Rocketman.

Unavailable for comment
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Well I've decided to make an offer myself for this machine and sell the /7 since I have the LT can't see having two "touring" machines and the LT is so much more capable. The /2 would be so differant and I've wanted one since the '70's went I rode one for work for 3 years. We shall see......

RM
    What's your /7 look like, Rocket man? If you're looking to sell.

Regards,

Randy Kasal