Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Wyoming yes, but Gillette???

If you're not going to help out, then you're just whining about what you don't like.

You've been to places you think would make a great rally venue. Look around, where will 5,000 people camp and 2,500 people stay in a motel? This is NOT GWRRA, the majority of people camp at the rally.

While Charleston may not have been the perfectly controlled experiment, it's clear that people don't want to camp far away from the center of activities. If you have an idea on how that can be reasonably accomplished, suggest it!

Even though you seem to feel that you're running into a great deal of negativity, what you're really running into is 35 years of experience at putting on a big camping rally. The selection criteria didn't materialize out of thin air, it's the result of experience at doing this.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Ok I am sorry I called you a back bench whiner.

Now back to the topic at hand, you have dismissed the work and expertise of the Rally Site Selection committee, past rally chairs and former officers of the MOA who have visited Jackson Hole.

So again what did everyone miss?

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar

BMWMOA has not "outgrown" Flagstaff, if we can survive without the sacred beer tent!!

Dear Chuck,

Thanks for responding with the information that there is no Board or MOA policy stating that we canÔÇÖt revisit past rally sites. ThatÔÇÖs indeed great news and I was happy to hear it.

You did raise a red flag in my mind when you stated that we had outgrown Flagstaff as a Rally site, especially in light of the fact that Harley Owners Group alternates between Flagstaff and Tucson for the Arizona State Hog Rally and they have 15,000 riders there!

Everyone has given good advice so far, regarding putting your effort where your mouth is at, in terms of suggesting useful input for upcoming BMWMOA International Rallies.

IÔÇÖm Metro Mechanical, IncÔÇÖs Senior Project Manager for the Pipefitting Division here in Phoenix and IÔÇÖm salaried, which means that I get to work 80 hours a week for 40 hours pay; but it also means that I can set up my own schedule. As soon as I saw your post on my morning break at work, I figured what the heck, IÔÇÖm overdue calling on my Flagstaff clients anyways in selling our pipefitting, heating, air conditioning and fire protection services; so I drove up to Flag and spent the night. In addition to calling on my clients - I spent my afternoon, evening and this morning (staying at Inn of America) checking it out.

I called on Flagstaff Chamber of Commerce, Northern Arizona University, Coconino Parks and Recreation, Arizona State Parks Department and National Parks Department.

I picked up hard copy information from everybody that I visited, but it is easier to view information on the internet so I have printed up a website resources list at the end of this.

Flagstaff would work perfect with one huge caveat, no beer tents are allowed anywhere.

I find myself wondering if our possessing the beer tent as our sacred ox, that cannot be gored, is preventing us from returning to Flagstaff, Durango, Laguna Seca, Missoula, DuQuoin and other fine locations for a rally with really great scenic riding in the region.

If the beer tent is the Tail thatÔÇÖs wagging our BMWMOA Dog then youÔÇÖre right in your statement that weÔÇÖve ÔÇ£outgrownÔÇØ Flagstaff, and a whole lot of other possible rally venues.

When I mentioned the word beer tent to all of the parties above I just got the old fisheye!

Perhaps itÔÇÖs time that we sacrificed the Sacred Beer Tent Cow in order to select rally sites, like Flagstaff, with outstanding BMW motorcycling riding opportunities in the immediate area. IÔÇÖm as Irish as PaddyÔÇÖs pig, and dearly love my Guinness and Harp after a work day or in the saddle; but riding my Beemers takes precedence over quaffing suds!

Yours truly, Don

www.flagstaff.az.gov www.flagstaffchamber.com www.go-arizona.com/Flagstaff www.flagstaff.cc/Flagstaff_Arizona http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagstaff2%C_Arizona

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    I hope that sometime Calgary, just after the Stampede, will be able to host the rally. The Stampede can be the 'warm up act' for us. Then, just think of all the great riding slightly west of the city. Oh yes, it too is in America. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

gulfcoastbeemer
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    If you're not going to help out, then you're just whining about what you don't like.

You've been to places you think would make a great rally venue. Look around, where will 5,000 people camp and 2,500 people stay in a motel? This is NOT GWRRA, the majority of people camp at the rally.

While Charleston may not have been the perfectly controlled experiment, it's clear that people don't want to camp far away from the center of activities. If you have an idea on how that can be reasonably accomplished, suggest it!

Even though you seem to feel that you're running into a great deal of negativity, what you're really running into is 35 years of experience at putting on a big camping rally. The selection criteria didn't materialize out of thin air, it's the result of experience at doing this.
    How can anyone help, if any suggestion of change is met with a condescending lecture and restatement of the absolute infalibility of the site selection process?

Before you have site selection criteria, you have an objective or purpose for the rally.

What is the objective of the MOA Rally? Gather the faithful? Make money? Promote the MOA? Continue a tradition?

How is the success of an MOA Rally measured? Attendance? Revenue? Member Statisfaction?

Are the following hallmarks of an MOA Rally essential to its continuance? The sale of inexpensive beer to attendees by and for the benefit of the MOA; On-site camping sufficient for two-thirds of the attendees; Single unified rally campus, including permanant structures to house vendors and seminars, and a grandstand for those requiring such a thing.

To an MOA Rally neophyte, it would appear some of what frustrates many is not 35 years of experience; but rather a convergence of the physical limitations of the real world with the inflexible ideological dogma of the MOA Rally Selection Process.

I would be fascinated to learn what sites were under consideration for the '08 Rally and why each was rejected. Wouldn't that put things in perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerdons View Post
    When I mentioned the word beer tent to all of the parties above I just got the old fisheye!

Perhaps itÔÇÖs time that we sacrificed the Sacred Beer Tent Cow in order to select rally sites, like Flagstaff, with outstanding BMW motorcycling riding opportunities in the immediate area. IÔÇÖm as Irish as PaddyÔÇÖs pig, and dearly love my Guinness and Harp after a work day or in the saddle; but riding my Beemers takes precedence over quaffing suds!

Yours truly, Don

www.flagstaff.az.gov www.flagstaffchamber.com www.go-arizona.com/Flagstaff www.flagstaff.cc/Flagstaff_Arizona http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagstaff2%C_Arizona
    Well said. However, if 51% of our members want a beer tent (I dont know that, it's a w.a.g.), then the BMWMOA would not be meeting the needs of what the majority want , would they? It seems a vote on the beer tent vs great local riding roads (which I have found in most every state I have been in) is needed.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    Well said. However, if 51% of our members want a beer tent (I dont know that, it's a w.a.g.), then the BMWMOA would not be meeting the needs of what the majority want , would they? It seems a vote on the beer tent vs great local riding roads (which I have found in most every state I have been in) is needed.
    That's an artificial choice that skews the discussion. The beer tent has become the lightning rod, but is no more of a deal breaker than some other criteria such as sufficient camping space.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post
    Can you find a site there that would work for the MOA? Even if you tweak those requirements?

Please. Make it happen.
    Knary...that's the problem. The current criteria that rates Gillette as acceptable, may rate a location like Estes Park unacceptable for reasons that no longer represent the desires of our club. For many of you, the most important criteria is a beer tent. You should be thinking what location will draw the most participation. Participation will increase revenues far beyond a rally with half the participation with a beer tent.

Just in Colorado, BMWMOA should consider Estes Park, Durango Granby, Breckenridge, Castle Rock, Loveland, Longmont or Boulder, Colorado Springs or even Denver. Most is not all have the facilities to match the county fairgrounds at West Bend.

Quote Originally Posted by kenk View Post
    Knary...that's the problem. The current criteria that rates Gillette as acceptable, may rate a location like Estes Park unacceptable for reasons that no longer represent the desires of our club. For many of you, the most important criteria is a beer tent. You should be thinking what location will draw the most participation. Participation will increase revenues far beyond a rally with half the participation with a beer tent.

Just in Colorado, BMWMOA should consider Estes Park, Durango Granby, Breckenridge, Castle Rock, Loveland, Longmont or Boulder, Colorado Springs or even Denver. Most is not all have the facilities to match the county fairgrounds at West Bend.
    Do you know that or do they just seem like they'd work?

You are misrepresenting what has been said about the beer tent. It is one criteria of many. Most places don't offer enough camping space. But it's more fun to talk about beer.

Rally Rat
    Do you know that or do they just seem like they'd work?

You are misrepresenting what has been said about the beer tent. It is one criteria of many. Most places don't offer enough camping space. But it's more fun to talk about beer.
    If you ask the members whether they would like a beer tent at a rally, I like many others would be in the 51% that answers yes. I love my beer and really enjoyed the beer tent at West Bend.

However, if you ask members if they preferred a beer tent in Gillette over a scenic tourist location with plenty of attraction, I believe the vast majority would vote against a beer tent. All members can BYOB.

I don't think I'm misrepresenting the beer tent issue at all. Recall Rob Nye's comment stating no beer tent - no rally. That implies a beer tent is the most important criteria from a former rally chair.

That's an artificial choice that skews the discussion. The beer tent has become the lightning rod, but is no more of a deal breaker than some other criteria such as sufficient camping space.
    Sorry, I didn't want to skew the discussion.
    I am one of the "drunken idiots" that enjoys the rally wherever it is.
    I like camping at the Nat'l, it's all part of the experience.
    I could have lived without the Glockenspiel tho'.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

KenK

What SPECIFIC site have you found that meets all our needs or all our needs except beer? Who did you contact? You have my attention, you have an audience, what SPECIFIC site?

Live this day.

cruise_carter
    The beer tent seems to be a HUGE deal in the rally selection.

With discounted beer, does the MOA make a boatload of profit?

As far as not having people get juiced and then ride their bikes, we are all adults who have to live with the decisions we take...make the registration form have a disclaimer absolving the MOA for any criminal acts you indulge in.

Why not select a site that has camping, hotels, vendor locales but something close to some 'watering holes' that would give us a proper discount, ie; show your wrist band and get discounted booze and food? Most watering holes would absolutely enjoy having several thousand potential customers, even with discounts they would rake in the cash. Have a site where the watering holes are within close walking distance and no one gets pinched for impaired driving.

Find a watering hole(s) that have entertainment each night and you have a solution.

Just my spin on this..
    Dale

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    What SPECIFIC site have you found that meets all our needs or all our needs except beer? Who did you contact? You have my attention, you have an audience, what SPECIFIC site?

I didn't contact anyone in Estes Park. I didn't need to. It's a fact Estes Park had a successful WingDing in Estes Park, with LARGER attendance, with plenty of camping space (have you seen their extra large trailers), with plenty of vendor and seminar space. Go ask GWWRRA how they did it. They obviously can think outside the box. Like our motorcycles manufacturer, our members tend to anal-retentive. We must follow the checklist! Change isn't always bad.

Quote Originally Posted by kenk View Post
    If you ask the members whether they would like a beer tent at a rally, I like many others would be in the 51% that answers yes. I love my beer and really enjoyed the beer tent at West Bend.

However, if you ask members if they preferred a beer tent in Gillette over a scenic tourist location with plenty of attraction, I believe the vast majority would vote against a beer tent. All members can BYOB.

I don't think I'm misrepresenting the beer tent issue at all. Recall Rob Nye's comment stating no beer tent - no rally. That implies a beer tent is the most important criteria from a former rally chair.
    It actually implies you will grab straws to support your arguement and that at the end of the day you have no clue.